1st Service - Punch List For Dealer - Newbie Here

2008 GS 350

Both doors leak air around the interior "door pull" recess - I think the doors are not completely sealed

Occasionally the car will crank but not start. Acts like it's getting no gas. So far, had always eventually started

When accelerating from a slow start, the transmission seems to slip. THis never happens from a complete start.

Satellite signal seems weak

Text from satellite is truncated - you only get part of the info. On our MBZ you get it all.

Plastic like Saran Wrap is poking out from under dash and at the bottom of interior door panels.

Parking brake cable must have excessive slack - does not hold car.

Seat heaters are barely noticeable. Not at all like previous cars - 2 MBZ's (2001 and 2007) and one Volvo (1990).

What do you think? Too picky? Normal for a sophisticated new car?

the saran wrap...i had that too just pull it off. it protects the seats during shipping, its normal.. as far as the car not cranking, that is not normal. parking brake holds the car if its pushed all the way in. if its pushed half way in, the car still rolls. sometimes i back out of the driveway and then realize the parking brake is on. on automatic cars, parking brakes dont need to hold that well.

Daepp

You may want to read this post from earlier in the year about similar problems with 2008 GS350's:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=44609

It goes into some detail about issues with certain production runs that have start/turn over issues. You are going to want to talk to your dealer about what options you might have.

Duckman

My two cents... I am also disappointed with Lexus. My GS350 has all kinds of little nuances that I am unhappy with; lots of little things I would never expect to see in a $50K automobile. Nor was the car well prepped when I took delivery (engine compartment was filthy, tire pressure was different in all 4 tires, rear headrest leather was damaged). Never had these kinds of problems with my 2006 Jeep GC Limited, my BMW's, my Acura RL's, my Mercedes.... Also, my local Lexus dealer has been less willing to work with me than Jeep and Acura dealers, and the dealer parts guys are real snobs. Even BMW dealer is more supportive than my Lexus dealer.

I really like the GS350; it is a cool looking Luxury Sedan and has awesome power. But this is my first and last Lexus. What really concerns me is how little support I might get form Lexus should the car ever need warrantee work in the next four years. Sadly, my new GS350 will likely go up for sale soon….

• 2 weeks later...

Both doors leak air around the interior "door pull" recess: COULD NOT DUPLICATE AND DEALER WILL NOT PULL PANELS UNLESS THEY CAN FEEL THE AIR.

Occasionally the car will crank but not start. Acts like it's getting no gas. DID NOT FAIL AT DEALER - NO HELP

When accelerating from a slow start, the transmission seems to slip. DEALER CALLS THIS NORMAL.

Satellite signal seems weak DEALER SAYS IT A PROBLEM WITH SIRIUS NOT XM AND NOT LEXUS. OF COURSE, OUR GL450 WITH SIRIUS DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Text from satellite is truncated - you only get part of the info. DEALER SAYS THERE'S NOTHING HE CAN DO

Plastic like Saran Wrap is poking out from under dash and at the bottom of interior door panels. REMOVED PLASTIC

Parking brake cable must have excessive slack - does not hold car. DEALER SAYS NO PROBLEM.

Seat heaters are barely noticeable. DEALER CALLS THIS NORMAL.

LEXUS OF RIVERSIDE, CA. NOT A GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION!

Unbelieveable. I have owned three Lexus vehicles, all from the same dealership - Lexus of Wayzata in Minnesota. Never once have I experience any issues with them not taking care of me, going the extra mile, whatever.....

I find it really interesting the number of dissatisfied Lexus customers seems to have a direct corrollation to the dealership from which they purchased the vehicles. That is just a surface obvservation...no science to it at all, mind you.

I know that Lexus does not have large clusters of dealerships, but, living in California, I bet you could find a dealership which would service you the way you expect. I would google to find out if there are any dealership ratings sites out there...that may lead you to a positive experience.

--Duckman

You are right. There's another dealership on my way home. I pass it twice a day. I only went to this one as they were smart and must have determined that although I purchased the car near L.A., I registered it in Riverside. I gave them cudos for going after my business. I was not going to go out of my way and complain, but their follow-up girl called toa sk how it went and I told her.

I still love the car - but not the dealership. I hope this GS is as good as my first one - it was the original GS - a 98 I think. I have had MBZ's since 12/2000 and was looking forward to returning to the Lexus experience I remember from those day (incl. Tustin Lexus).

My situation:from my first LS400 in '98, thru an ES300, RX300, RX330 and my current GS300... our dealer in Doylestown, PA has been nothing but fantastic. The best (auto) customer service I have ever experienced! A bad or unresponsive dealer can make you hate the car. Find another more customer centric dealer near you. If you tell the service manager you will commit to being their customer, I bet they will get your problems resolved and you can truly enjoy your GS.

• 2 months later...
My two cents... I am also disappointed with Lexus. My GS350 has all kinds of little nuances that I am unhappy with; lots of little things I would never expect to see in a $50K automobile. Nor was the car well prepped when I took delivery (engine compartment was filthy, tire pressure was different in all 4 tires, rear headrest leather was damaged). Never had these kinds of problems with my 2006 Jeep GC Limited, my BMW's, my Acura RL's, my Mercedes.... Also, my local Lexus dealer has been less willing to work with me than Jeep and Acura dealers, and the dealer parts guys are real snobs. Even BMW dealer is more supportive than my Lexus dealer.

I really like the GS350; it is a cool looking Luxury Sedan and has awesome power. But this is my first and last Lexus. What really concerns me is how little support I might get form Lexus should the car ever need warrantee work in the next four years. Sadly, my new GS350 will likely go up for sale soon….

Jim in Kalamazoo....99 GS300.....I am sorry to hear all these complaints and problems with these newer cars.....like some of the other responders suggested,,,,,try another dealer....as the the four dealers in Michigan are overwelmingly great....up to including driving over 110 miles to pick up my car...leave me with a brand new (300-400 miles) loaner to go shoe everybody, and cheerfully return my car 2-3 days later with a ball cap of coffee cup on the front seat...they overnight things like new floor mats to me....and I used the extended warranty (7-year bumper to bumper which was well worth the $1,200. As the steroe display fizzled out, a door window regulator got very loud, and they put a spoiler on the deck lid comped. And Lexus Corporate sent me Belgium chocolates 2-3 times for completing evaluations.

A problem I bitched for years was the back lit gauge brillancy was all over the place,,,,sometime dimming out to nothing,

at night,,,,,,and the sunroof nylon slides creaked and cracked and actually "snapped"' like they were breaking. when they changed temperature guickly...... they gave me a song & dance and put "shims' in them but two of my brand new lonars did the very same damn thing....so my two notorious problems that i griped sbout for over five years they could never resolve!!

I an very much a lexus customerand think my 99 has treated me fine...it still looks & runs like new...always been garaged so wee'l see how many more years Ill get out it. I'm seeing many more parts available for do it yourselfers.when the first started out..they were pretty exclusive with parts and not many other dealers would go near a timing belt change!

Kind Regards....