Shifter Solenoid

fsuguy

Hi,

I am trying to resolve my shifting problems and so dropped the oil pan and removed the four solenoids breaking two of the wire connectors (#3 & #4); so I have the following questions:

1. Solenoid specified resistance tolerance for #3 is 4 to 5 ohms, and #4 is 5 to 6 ohms; #2 and #1 is about 12 ohms. My tests showed #3 & #4 were at .004 & .005 ohms, and #1 & #2 were about .014 ohms; all four solenoids moved briskly when subjected to 12 volts, and #3 & #4 were variable with lower currents. Does the lowered resistance affect shifting, and should I plunk down the $$$ for the new solenoids?

2. Since I broke the two wire connectors to the solenoids (#3 & #4) how hard is it to replace the wire harness, or is there any alternative someone can suggest, (tutorial maybe)?

Car is a 1992 with A341E transmission

Thank You in Advance

mike

:o

Hi,

I am trying to resolve my shifting problems and so dropped the oil pan and removed the four solenoids breaking two of the wire connectors (#3 & #4); so I have the following questions:

1. Solenoid specified resistance tolerance for #3 is 4 to 5 ohms, and #4 is 5 to 6 ohms; #2 and #1 is about 12 ohms. My tests showed #3 & #4 were at .004 & .005 ohms, and #1 & #2 were about .014 ohms; all four solenoids moved briskly when subjected to 12 volts, and #3 & #4 were variable with lower currents. Does the lowered resistance affect shifting, and should I plunk down the $$$ for the new solenoids?

2. Since I broke the two wire connectors to the solenoids (#3 & #4) how hard is it to replace the wire harness, or is there any alternative someone can suggest, (tutorial maybe)?

Car is a 1992 with A341E transmission

Thank You in Advance

mike

:o

I don't know of any commercially available "standard" digital (analog is out of the question) ohmmeter that can measure/read anything below about 0.2 ohms.

Ohmmeter leads themselves are typically above your resistance reading.

Misreading perhaps..??

wwest,

I used a digital meter, and thought perhaps the gauge itself would have difficulty measuring the low resistance value of the solenoids. I will double check against known values to be sure.

However, in your opinion, due you think the really low resistance values matter if the solenoids actually function with an electric current? If I have to change all four, that amounts to a huge whack!!!

TIA

Mike

wwest,

I used a digital meter, and thought perhaps the gauge itself would have difficulty measuring the low resistance value of the solenoids. I will double check against known values to be sure.

However, in your opinion, due you think the really low resistance values matter if the solenoids actually function with an electric current? If I have to change all four, that amounts to a huge whack!!!

TIA

Mike

Have you noticed that if you multiply your ohm readings by 1000 then they are in the correct range..??

Looks to me as if all of your solenoids are good.

wwest,

thanks for the reply. I checked and was reading the resistance at the 2K setting. After correcting, it appears that the solenoids are good (yeaaay!!!) Now I have to decide how to fix my broken wire connectors! Some kind of plastic retainer to keep them in the solenoid got broken (solenoid #3 & #4). Do you know if the wire harness is replaceable without removing a lot of stuff? Would I have to drop the valve body and transmission to do this?

TIA

Mike

• 1 year later...

For those of you who have messed with your shifter solenoids on the valve body and broken the connectors (they get hard and brittle over time) like I did, you can get the replacement harness - it is called the "transmission wire" P/N: 82125-50010 (For early 1992) and 82125-50030 for later 1992. This harness was really difficult to identify since the different dealerships could not give me a name for it.

All I need to do now is figure how to get the darned thing into the transmission without having to drop the whole tranny!

Anyway, here it is now, and Good Luck!