Navigation Really?

editor

How sick is it when the Manufacturer disables the entire functionality of the Nav System as soon as you put the gas to the floor? I have an Acura RL with Nav and I can enter an address while I’m driving. I’ve never had even a close call. Even if you agree to the terms on the screen, if you hit the wall, that’s your call. Is there a way to get back the functionality of the system.

The voice commands are a Joke, and the address for my “HOME” is wrong, and can’t be corrected. Who designed this POS. I’m and engineer, and can’t figure out why Lexus did what they did, except for legal reasons.

If you hit a wall cause’ yer shovin’ a Big Mac in yer face, you gonna sue Mickie D’s? You deserve 6 months of traction!

Give me back my NAV!!

What do you mean you can't change the address for your home? Of course it can be changed...

As for disabling the suspension of functions, it can be done but it involves wiring a switch to disable the nav system's speed sensor. You'd have to flip the switch, do the address and flip it back on...

What do you mean you can't change the address for your home? Of course it can be changed...

As for disabling the suspension of functions, it can be done but it involves wiring a switch to disable the nav system's speed sensor. You'd have to flip the switch, do the address and flip it back on...

>>What do you mean you can't change the address for your home? Of course it can be changed...

My point was that if I enter the corrected address the Bullseye moves on the road. Now When I get to my home #12

the Nav system wants me to go to #38 before it says "You have arrived at your destination, the Nav is Finsihed blah blah..."

So the Nav is still waiting for me to finish getting to my destination, and won't complete the trip. Yes?? (The Nav is assuming there are 40+ homes on my road, when there are 3. Ahhh Why?

>>As for disabling the suspension of functions, it can be done but it involves wiring a switch to disable the nav system's speed sensor. You'd have to flip the switch, do the address and flip it back on...

And where is this switch installed, and by who, and wouldn't a plug in chip or dealer module be better and available if Lexus allowed you to sign a 57 page waiver of liability absolving them of your own self inflicetd death even the spilling of an ice cream cone while pushing the "ZOOM" button on the screen.

Now don't get me wrong. I like the car, I think the Nav is very good, but I'd like to be able to have the ability to do as I please

without Corporate and Goverment telling me that the 52K I just spent won't be fully fuctional if you actually intend to use the car while it's in motion. AutoMOBILE?? ;)

I have a 2001 Acura 3.5 RL. While many of the addresses are wrong because I have not updated the DVD (in fact, my OWN Road isn't listed) but I can do everything after I release the liability screen. Nes pa'

I'll get down off my soap box now. I have had 5 Lex-i?? and I'm back fo a GX but they have to stop treating us like idiots, unless we

set out to be the typical CAVEMAN on purpose, or the wife says so! I'm crawling back into my cave....

Thanks for taking the time to listen, I am Humbled!

You can't blame Lexus for disabling those functions. It's our own society that thinks that the words lawsuit and jackpot are synonyms. Yes, people would sue Lexus if they hit a wall while entering a new address. Why don't you mark your home and then register that as the home address. Pull into your garage and hit mark point, and then register that as Home. Of course, if someone steals your car with your garage door opener in it, they'll hit the voice command and say "take me to the guy's house I'm going to rob and open the garage door."

I think you got a little carried away when you said Lexus "disabled the entire functionality of the nav system when you step on the gas." My NAV works very well when I'm driving, you just can't change the address until you come to a stop sign.

Yea, adding destinations, no phone POI available, yep, it all lawsuit driven :lol: but I want to have my GX Nav me into

Mickey "D's" smash through the drive thru, and have hot coffee spill on me. Now I can sue Lexus and McDcoanld, AND get

a Double Cheeseburger while I want for the Ambulance. Then I can sue the Doctors and the Hospital.

Oh why, oh why can't I make any decisions in my :censored: life... just ask my wife :unsure:

RF

Oh man i am laughing my !Removed! off at that last post that is the funniest thing i've seen on here yet.

hey all i can say is that i here a lot of people complain about that nav system...they just came out with a new one this year...don't know how it works but i do know it's much better than the old one..(sorry no retrofit)...the thing can tell you how many suites are in the building you are parked in front of suposedly (who will EVER use that feture other that to impress friends).

• 4 weeks later...
How sick is it when the Manufacturer disables the entire functionality of the Nav System as soon as you put the gas to the floor? I have an Acura RL with Nav and I can enter an address while I’m driving. I’ve never had even a close call. Even if you agree to the terms on the screen, if you hit the wall, that’s your call. Is there a way to get back the functionality of the system.

The voice commands are a Joke, and the address for my “HOME” is wrong, and can’t be corrected. Who designed this POS. I’m and engineer, and can’t figure out why Lexus did what they did, except for legal reasons.

If you hit a wall cause’ yer shovin’ a Big Mac in yer face, you gonna sue Mickie D’s? You deserve 6 months of traction!

Give me back my NAV!!

I've had my 04 GX for about six weeks. The cars been great, but I have to agree, the most frustrating aspect of this vehicle is the inability to set addresses while moving.

I had an Acura with Nav for the past several years and it allowed full access to the NAV functions, all the time.

Incidently, I have noticed that my home address is not properly shown on the map as someone else mentioned, and it also starts to pick up directions to home when I get within a half mile of the location, even though it was not recenlty programmed. :wacko:

If someone knows how to disable the motion sensor to allow full access to address selection, POI etc, please let me know.

This NAV is a major step backwards!

Sorry I missed out on the replies we were out of town lol.

The "switch" was a fix devised by a Lexus owner who was as frustrated as you are. Its just a standard electrical switch ( I think he mounted it under the armrest) and he himself spliced all the wires to make it work. He wrote an article about it, I'll find it.

As for the home address it can be changed in the menu screen...

As for the voice activation, my nav isn't voice operated so I have no opinion there.

I have a BMW X5 and it lets me do everything on the fly after I pushed the OK button acknowledging the disclaimer.

My wife programs the NAV while I drive very often. We change destination often on a long trip. E.g take a detour to see a museum on the way or just stop by a gas station or a restaurant.

I am thinking of trading my X5 in for a GX470. The ability of the NAV system weigh heavily into my decision since we use it quite often.

Can the passenger search for Points of Interest and change destination to a attraction that's near by the current vehicle location while the truck is moving?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...