Engine Swapping Uz To Ur?

I hoping a couple years from now when a few LS460s and GS460s get totaled, their engines will become availible on places like eBay. It would be a wonderful improvement to bump my 260 HP 1UZ-FE up to the new 340 HP 1UR-FE or even the 380 HP 1UZ-FSE (and these are by the new SAE testing standards). It would also be nice to go up from 4-speeds to 8-speeds. The thing I hate the most about my tranny is its high final gear ratio of 3.92. When I'm cruising on the highway even at just 70 mph, the engines running at over 2500 rpm. From what I've read, at highway speeds the new 8-spds cruise at under 2000 rpm due to the low final gear ratio of just 2.94.

So, can the new UR engine family be swapped into our 1st gen SC's? Are the UR engines similar to the old UZ family?

you can swap anything over. as long as you have all the wiring and everything but it wont be easy at all and if your looking to do this to save a little gas from the highway cruising rpm its totally not worth it. you may as well buy the car.

The 1UR can only be mated to the new 8-speed tranny so its not really like I have a choice, but 8 speeds is an extra bonus. Running at lower RPMs means less wear on the engine, but having more speeds doesn't neccessarily give you better fuel efficiency. For instance, the new Mazda MX-5 comes in both 5-spd manual and 6-spd manual (or automatic). All three trannys have the same EPA highway rating though. The main benefit of the extra gears is better acceleration since you can use the gears to distribute to the low end band.

Anyways, my desire for the 1UR-FSE is the massive gain in horsepower I'd receive. 380 HP from my 260 HP (probably 250 HP by new standards) would turn my SC into a rocket. The LS460 weighs 4200 lbs and gets to 60 in just 5.4 seconds. Our SCs weigh 600 lbs less, which means sub-5 seconds.

The 1UR can only be mated to the new 8-speed tranny so its not really like I have a choice, but 8 speeds is an extra bonus. Running at lower RPMs means less wear on the engine, but having more speeds doesn't neccessarily give you better fuel efficiency. For instance, the new Mazda MX-5 comes in both 5-spd manual and 6-spd manual (or automatic). All three trannys have the same EPA highway rating though. The main benefit of the extra gears is better acceleration since you can use the gears to distribute to the low end band.

Anyways, my desire for the 1UR-FSE is the massive gain in horsepower I'd receive. 380 HP from my 260 HP (probably 250 HP by new standards) would turn my SC into a rocket. The LS460 weighs 4200 lbs and gets to 60 in just 5.4 seconds. Our SCs weigh 600 lbs less, which means sub-5 seconds.

If you want more horsepower and an 8 speed, why not drop in the IS-F's engine?? Will it also fit in the engine bay, and how in the world do you get the stick in the place of the auto tranny.

• 1 month later...

With all due respect fellas these motors that you all are talking about are either way too expensive or are unattainable.. Nice thought though guys but I think you are 5-8 years and still thousands of dollars away from making it happen in my humble opinion....

I am currently working on an LS1 and mated GM tranny swap into my 1992 SC400...With the Ls1 and Ls2 motors you can achieve 400hp N/A with just a few simple mods.. This Gm tranny, ECU, and LS1 motor can be purchased for around $2000-$3000 for everything running... When swapping into an SC400 you need to weld and make some custom fit motor and tranny mounts, hook up with a driveshaft shop and make one side toyota and other GM and that is about it...Drop it all in, integrate the ignition, throttle cable and cluster in accordance with the GM ECU...Wiring diagrams of both motors and cars are needed. Then you are looking at one very very fast and somewhat reliable SC400. Then if you ever get a wild hair and want to boost the LS1 motor then sky is the limit...Those GM auto mated trannies out of the GTO's and Camaro's can hold good decent power too... I left out that the LS1 headers are a hard fit in the engine bay of the Sc400's, custom made flat headers will need to be made or part of the SC400 chassis will need to be cut out ....Not a big deal, but other then that it all fits in... The shifter on the GM auto tranny is positioned 6 inches to far back but a little custom work and it is doable as well...

There is not a better swap bang for the buck then that guys...The problem is that most Toyota and Lexus owners curse GM products and won't even entertain that idea... However, If you can get past that hang up then you will be good to go as I am...

• 11 years later...

Touching on this old thread for 2 reasons i have a LS460 an Im looking to a 3ur bottom. Does anyone know if the LS460 4.6 1UR-FSE (automatic 8spd trans) AA080 <<<i think.. Will it bolt to a tundra 3UR?

Secondly i may be "gifted" sorta.. A SC400 an want to drop in a 1UR-FSE 4.6