Ticking Noise

Hello everyone.I am new to this forum site.I just brought home my new 08 IS 250 AWD today.Before we left the dealer today we had the engine running while the salesman was showing us all the thing we needed to know about this car .It was and still is making a fairly loud ticking noise while idling.The salesman says its normal but I think it sound CHEAP.When showing off our new car to our family the ticking is the first thing they notice.Does anyone else have this problem or is it NOT A PROBLEM ?Thank in advance,Mike.

Hello everyone.I am new to this forum site.I just brought home my new 08 IS 250 AWD today.Before we left the dealer today we had the engine running while the salesman was showing us all the thing we needed to know about this car .It was and still is making a fairly loud ticking noise while idling.The salesman says its normal but I think it sound CHEAP.When showing off our new car to our family the ticking is the first thing they notice.Does anyone else have this problem or is it NOT A PROBLEM ?Thank in advance,Mike.

==========

If you do search in this forum you will definetly find a thread on the topic; you may find how these people solved this problem.

Err... it's not a problem. It's the direct injection system. It -is- supposed to do that. As more and more cars begin using advanced DI technology you'll hear that same noise on more and more new cars.

You might be thinking of the startup rattle that some cars had, which isn't a noise at idle.

Err... it's not a problem. It's the direct injection system. It -is- supposed to do that. As more and more cars begin using advanced DI technology you'll hear that same noise on more and more new cars.

You might be thinking of the startup rattle that some cars had, which isn't a noise at idle.

All those above....I have no clue what noise you all are talking about. I have a 07 250AWD with 25K on it - I am in the car four hours a day. It has it's fair share of rattles and snaps when the car is moving and going over bumps.

But I do not hear a gosh darn thing wrong when I start the car and it is in park or moving over smooth roads, that being said, I can not imagine how this noise is normal for this vehicle.

I have an 08 250 and notice the ticking noise at idle when standing outside of the car. I noticed the same noise as well on others including a loaner I had. The inside of the car is so quiet and well insulated that one would not hear it. I would think it is normal as they all seem to do it.

the ticking noises your hearing is the direct injection system. Deisels actually make the same noises, as they work similarly.

the ticking noises your hearing is the direct injection system. Deisels actually make the same noises, as they work similarly.

Thanks everyone for the info.I guess my salesman was right(how often does that happen?).This site is awesome.I thought I had a problem but got the facts right away so now I will enjoy the ride.Mike

• 1 month later...

I have a two week-old 250 that does the same thing. It sounds more like a valve train noise to me, and makes it sound like an old Toyota Corolla with 200k+ miles! I am put off by the noise, and was about to take it back to the dealer to inquire.

Can anyone tell me how the Direct Injection makes a ticking noise like a sticky lifter? It is pretty pronounced with the hood down. I'll bet that it is really loud with the hood up!

BTW... thanks for the original post bbruins2. The search button is the greatest!

Gas engines work by pulling a mixture of fuel and air into a cylinder, compressing it with a piston, and igniting it with a spark that results in an explosion that drives the piston downwards, producing power. Traditional fuel injection systems pre-mix the gasoline and air in a chamber just outside the cylinder called the intake manifold. In a direct-injection system, the air and gasoline are not pre-mixed, air comes in via the intake manifold, while the gasoline is injected directly into the cylinder.

Advantages of direct fuel injection

Combined with ultra-precise computer management, direct injection allows more precise control over fuel metering (the amount of fuel injected) and injection timing (exactly when the fuel is introduced into the cylinder).

The location of the injector also allows for a more optimal spray pattern that breaks the gasoline up into smaller droplets. The result is more complete combustion -- in other words, more power from each drop of gasoline. Also in light load conditions it can help lean out the mixture better, and during heavy acceleration, it can spary the fuel in later during the compression stroke to better disperse the fuel and optimize power delivery.

Disadvantages of direct fuel injection

The primary disadvantages of direct injection engines are complexity and cost. Direct injection systems are more expensive to build because their components must be more rugged -- they handle fuel at significantly higher pressures than indirect injection systems and the injectors themselves must be able to withstand the heat and pressure of combustion inside the cylinder.

How much more powerful and efficient is direct injection?

Cadillac sells the CTS with both indirect and direct injection versions of its 3.6 liter V6 engine. The indirect engine produces 263 horsepower and 253 lb-ft of torque, while the direct version develops 304 hp and 274 lb-ft. Despite the additional power, EPA fuel economy estimates for the direct injection engine are 1 MPG higher in the city (18 MPG vs 17 MPG) and equal on the highway. All the major car mfgrs are now looking at direct injection, and should be coming on board over the next few years. Ford has already announced a direct fuel injection system for the F-150 and a turbo charged version with direct injection also.

Diesels and direct fuel injection

Virtually all diesel engines use direct fuel injection. However, because diesels use a different process to combust their fuel (gasoline engines compress a mixture of gasoline and air and ignite it with a spark; diesels compress air only, then spray in fuel which is ignited by the heat and pressure), their injection systems differ in design and operation from gasoline direct fuel injection systems.

The high pressure fuel pump mounted on the valve cover (cam lobe driven) makes a loud ticking. The high pressure injectors also make a more obvious click than standard injectors.

The high pressure fuel pump mounted on the valve cover (cam lobe driven) makes a loud ticking. The high pressure injectors also make a more obvious click than standard injectors.

Thanks very much for the extremely thorough explanation! The last line really summed it up for me, but I learned a bit about DI that I didn't know before.

I'm not sure if this applies to the Direct Injection system in the IS, but many GDI systems eliminate the throttle assembly, thereby eliminating an obstruction in the intake and reducing pumping losses. Engine speed is instead controlled strictly by the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder (much like a diesel).

As has been mentioned before, GDI technology is similar to that used by diesels, and the ticking noise you hear even sounds a little like that of a diesel.

Yeah, the Lexus injection system isn't like the stratified fuel system. Actually, Lexus uses a dual injection system. Using direct injection and port injection together creates a more precise mixing of air and fuel under low and medium load conditions for better efficiency, while high load conditions dictate the use of direct injection alone for maximum power. This system is one of the reasons that the 2GR-FSE motor is on the Ward's 10 best motors list.

The IS250 is a 4gr engine, has only direct injection. The IS350, and GS350 have the 2gr engine, has both direct and port injection, and the 2gr and 4 gr engine both have 1 cold start injector.

• 2 months later...
Right, I wasn't talking about the 250 there.

THANKS! I was begining to worry. It did sound like lifter or valve ticking. I got my 08/250 with 2,500 miles on it and noticed the noise a few days later while at a McDs drive through and lowered the window.