91 Ls 400 High Idle When Starting First Time Of The Day

newlexman

Hello,

My 91 ls 400 idles high on first start whether hot or cold outside. As soon as the temp light gets halfway between hot and cold, it idles down whether sitting or moving. It happens everytime. Is this normal or do I need to fix something. Thanks guys

this is perfectly normal, even my newer LS idles high when started cold.

what i did with my older LS is i installed remote start so i start it 5 mins in advance:)

Mine used to as well. It's goes with age.

Interesting. So the idle gets higher with age, or opposite?

Did these models do this new, or is there something you can replace/repair?

I have a 1995 ls and it idles at around 1700 for a few minutes, then goes back to the normal 500'ish. It's not too big of a deal, just really annoying. It jerks into gear and fights hard when coming to a stop. When downshifting, the car feels harsh and out of control while idling high.

Mine used to as well. It's goes with age.

Interesting. So the idle gets higher with age, or opposite?

Did these models do this new, or is there something you can replace/repair?

I have a 1995 ls and it idles at around 1700 for a few minutes, then goes back to the normal 500'ish. It's not too big of a deal, just really annoying. It jerks into gear and fights hard when coming to a stop. When downshifting, the car feels harsh and out of control while idling high.

It's normal, and you can thank your local EPA for it. The high idle is designed to get the engine warmed up fast as safely possible. A warm engine produces less pollution. Even new Toyota's do it. My 05' 4runner with the V8 does this, and when that sucker turns on when cold, it sounds like a mac truck. I have to practically stand on the brakes to keep it still when it's idling at the cold levels. My 95' did this too. The kick in the pants when engaging the gear is simply part of the car, but can be somewhat helped with new tranny fluid. I'd search under "drain and fill" to learn how to phase out your old tranny fluid for new. But, it won't elimenate it. The only thing that prevents it is to let the car idle for a minute or two to get the fluids warmed up. Additionally, new brake pads can help hold the car still as well "depending on what condition your pads are in now".