Navigation Upgrade And Installation

llglife2

I have an ES 350 with a Gen 5 navigation system. I have a 7.1 navigation upgrade with lockout but am unsure as to how to go about installing it. Any instruction/advice /suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What do you mean by "with lockout"?

What disc version is currently installed?

Non-OEM software that upgrades and allows override (safety features) and use of the navigation system while in motion as well as bluetooth functions and viewing DVD's on the nav screen. I have not installed it yet. I have not checked the current nav version as it came installed in my 350 from the dealer. It was the latest at the time of purchase so I suspect it was the last update before 7.1

If you're talking about a hybrid disc, simply remove the original dvd and insert the hybrid dvd. If it was made correctly, it should automatically do its thing.

However, I would make sure the disc was good before putting it in as I have read from other forum members that have "bricked" their nav units from bad hybrids.

I haven't read anything before about a hybrid 7.1 out so please keep us informed.

If it is a hybrid with the 4.1 loading file you will have to disconnect the ground cable from the battery for five minutes to clear the flash memory. You will lose the radio and seat presets.

does anyone know if this or any other disc works to override the navigation settings for a 2008 400h..?

As I mentioned, I have yet to load the upgrade (advertised from the dealer at $300 w/o lockout) but the only system requirement seems to be an existing Gen 5 navigation system installed. I suspect the 2008 has that generation nav. The disc is not OEM.

What do you mean by "with lockout"?

What disc version is currently installed?

Non-OEM software that upgrades and allows override (safety features) and use of the navigation system while in motion as well as bluetooth functions and viewing DVD's on the nav screen. I have not installed it yet. I have not checked the current nav version as it came installed in my 350 from the dealer. It was the latest at the time of purchase so I suspect it was the last update before 7.1

Wait, backup, you have a 7.1 disc that has overrides to the lock-outs? And the dealership sold you this? Is this new or did I miss something?

Wait, backup, you have a 7.1 disc that has overrides to the lock-outs? And the dealership sold you this? Is this new or did I miss something?

Not from the dealership. Probably from ebay.

So, what does he mean when he says, "from the dealer?" What kind of "dealer" are we talking about? A person that makes counterfeit unlicensed versions of the nav software? Or a legitimate licensed version from the nav manufacturer through a certified reseller?

I have an ES 350 with a Gen 5 navigation system. I have a 7.1 navigation upgrade with lockout but am unsure as to how to go about installing it. Any instruction/advice /suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

From my understanding:

1- All ES350's, '07-'08 came from the factory with Gen 5 DVD's. Depending on the date of manufacture, you got either a 5.1 or 6.1 DVD disc.

2- A hybrid disc was offered to correct problems for owners that had problems under a Lexus TSB that was issued to dealers ONLY. They were never issued as replacements to upgrade the mapping.

3- The newest map DVD's for all ES350's is a, Gen5, 7.1, U32.

4- 7.1 mapping(newest) DVD's are supplied for different generation navigation systems......so make sure you get the proper disc for your model car. Example: A Gen5 disc will only work in a Gen5 system, and a Gen4 will only work in a Gen4 system.......and so on....and on.

Here is an illustration from an '07 ES350 Owners Manual that show's the procedure for removing/installing the DVD.

DVDChangeES350.jpg

From my understanding:

1- All ES350's, '07-'08 came from the factory with Gen 5 DVD's. Depending on the date of manufacture, you got either a 5.1 or 6.1 DVD disc.

2- A hybrid disc was offered to correct problems for owners that had problems under a Lexus TSB that was issued to dealers ONLY. They were never issued as replacements to upgrade the mapping.

4- 7.1 mapping(newest) DVD's are supplied for different generation navigation systems......so make sure you get the proper disc for your model car. Example: A Gen5 disc will only work in a Gen5 system, and a Gen4 will only work in a Gen4 system.......and so on....and on.

Here is an illustration from an '07 ES350 Owners Manual that show's the procedure for removing/installing the DVD.

DVDChangeES350.jpg

Just as an FYI, my 08 ES350 came with the 7.1 disc. The 08 are coming with the latest map DVD. You do not have to hit OK every time you start the car, but you are locked out when the car is moving and there is no override to this without tampering with the hardware or getting a DVD that is a hybrid. The "hybrid" I assume is a DVD that uses current maps of one version but programs of another, correct?

From my understanding:

DVDChangeES350.jpg

Just as an FYI, my 08 ES350 came with the 7.1 disc. The 08 are coming with the latest map DVD. You do not have to hit OK every time you start the car, but you are locked out when the car is moving and there is no override to this without tampering with the hardware or getting a DVD that is a hybrid. The "hybrid" I assume is a DVD that uses current maps of one version but programs of another, correct?

Correct, posts I've found have users replacing the 7.1 loading.kwi file with the 5.1 version of the loading.kwi file. Currently working on getting a hybrid disc made to allow the override feature with the latest 7.1 map data. Will keep you posted.

• 1 year later...

Correct, posts I've found have users replacing the 7.1 loading.kwi file with the 5.1 version of the loading.kwi file. Currently working on getting a hybrid disc made to allow the override feature with the latest 7.1 map data. Will keep you posted.

Hi guys, any update for this topic? I also have a 2008 RX 400H and find it annoying for the passenger not to be able to input addresses as the car is in motion.