Rattling Noise

PearlLX

theres a high pitched rattling sort of zinging noise coming from underneath my 99 LX470 when i accelerate. once i have hit a constant speed it goes away but through the first 2 or 3 gears during acceleration at certain RPM levels a rattling noise comes loud and clear. it sounds almost like a large coke can with BB's in it being shook around rapidly. i thought it might be part of the exhaust or cat. but wasnt sure so thought i would ask to see if any one else has a clue

You may want to check the heat shield on your catalytic converter. Mine came loose and made an annoying rattle right around 2000 rpm in every gear.

Any muffler shop should be able to tack weld the heat shield to prevent the rattling. However, my first weld broke loose in a week. The second weld has yet to break loose.

I heard of another guy on this forum who wrapped a metal hose clamp around the cat to prevent the rattle. I may try this out if my weld breaks again.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.

• 4 weeks later...
You may want to check the heat shield on your catalytic converter. Mine came loose and made an annoying rattle right around 2000 rpm in every gear.

Any muffler shop should be able to tack weld the heat shield to prevent the rattling. However, my first weld broke loose in a week. The second weld has yet to break loose.

I heard of another guy on this forum who wrapped a metal hose clamp around the cat to prevent the rattle. I may try this out if my weld breaks again.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.

Yeah..there is a TSB about this problem. I had the same problem. Lexus will fix it if your vehicle is under 80K miles - they will REPLACE the catalytic converter shields that are know to develop cracks. If you are out of warranty, the job will cost around $400 at Lexus, parts included. Otherwise just get it spot welded for 50 bucks and cross your fingers.

• 2 months later...
theres a high pitched rattling sort of zinging noise coming from underneath my 99 LX470 when i accelerate. once i have hit a constant speed it goes away but through the first 2 or 3 gears during acceleration at certain RPM levels a rattling noise comes loud and clear. it sounds almost like a large coke can with BB's in it being shook around rapidly. i thought it might be part of the exhaust or cat. but wasnt sure so thought i would ask to see if any one else has a clue

I had the same problem on my 99 LX 470. It was the heat shield on the cat converter. Have it checked. I think it was in the $300 range for repair.