Power Steering Weirdness

howudodat

92 LS400 280k miles.

When I first fire up the car, the steering is feather light. As I back out of the garage it stiffens up on the first turn, although not too bad, maybe 10-15% stiffer. Then sometimes as I'm driving if I take an exit off the highway and abruptly turn right the PS dies completely and I'm left with manual steering. About 10' down the rod the PS kicks back in again.

Also seems like I'm losing / burning some fluid as I have to top off every few months. - no puddles on the garage floor though.

Any ideas?

Peter

I'd say you got air in the system. More likely one of 2 ways. See if the bottom of the pump is wet. If it is you probably need a new O ring at the bottom of the reservoir, a $2 fix. Other than tat the favourite is the valve at the bottom of the pump. It's less than $100 if you DIY. If it is that valve the symptoms are white smoke at start up when it gets bad. It doesn't usually leak externally either. Either way you need to sort it and bleed the system. Loads of info on here about all these problems, have a good read. You will also be wise to clean the solinoid valve filter.