How To Replace/install The Updated Dvd In Nav System

MrTexas

I recently joined the group of all satisfied Lexus owners. I purchased a certified pre-owned 2004 LS430. Wonderful car with outdated maps in the Navigation system. I purchased the updated DVD frrom my local Lexus dealer parts department. I just told them which model and tear and $275.00 later, I had my update. The only problem was that I had no idea how to install it. I quickly went to the internet where all answers in life are found. Much to my suprise, there was not a step by step instruction for this procedure. I thought this would be a common thing and there would plenty of help. NOT. So I decided to figure it out and write my own unstructions and help others trying to do the same. (I could not figure out the picture and links in the forums yet. a bit techy for me)

Changing the Navigation DVD in a 2004 Lexus LS 430

I searched the internet for the “how to” steps for changing the DVD based Navigation system in my Lexus LS430 and could not find a step by step. So I decided to venture out and write one myself. I hope you find this useful. (This Step-by-Step instruction is written for a 2004 Lexus LS430. I cannot say that it may not apply to other years, makes, or models of Lexus Vehicles.)

The Right DVD

It is imperative the you obtain the correct replacement DVD for your particular Lexus model. There are plenty of articles on this so I won’t belabor it in this article. The easiest way to just go is asking your Lexus dealer parts department for the updated DVD for the navigation system that matches your year and model. The 2004 LS430 is a “GEN4” system. The current version as of this article was 2007 version 1. My old version was 2004 version 2.

The DVD based navigation system is located in the trunk under the mat on the passenger side of the vehicle. It is securely mounted under the mat and deck. It is about the size and shape of a self enclosed after-market radio. It sole purpose is to provide the Navigation information for the vehicle.

STEP 1.[/b]

Remove the trunk mat completely from the vehicle and set aside. Lift the decking using the handle exposing the spare tire. Completely remove from the vehicle and set aside.

STEP 2

Remove the deck mounting tack using a small bladed screwdriver and lift up. Set aside for replacement. Remove the side decking exposing the DVD unit.

STEP 3

The DVD unit is mounted securely in place using 2 bolts on either side. Both of these must be removed using an 8mm socket or a Philips screwdriver. Set the aside for re-installation. (Be careful not to drop them down into the cavities surrounding the unit. It looks dark down there and you might not get them back)

STEP 4.[/b]

Carefully lift the front edge of the DVD unit up from its holder about 1”.

DO NOT REMOVE THE UNIT COMPLETELY.

STEP 5

START THE VEHICLE. It must be running to provide power to the unit. Remove the old DVD from the unit using the OPEN button by pushing in and sliding to the left. This will reject the old DVD currently installed in the unit. The Navigation screen will display a message indicating there is not disk installed. Insert the new updated DVD into the slot on the unit. Slide the OPEN button back to the right into its original position. The navigation screen will display a message indicating the system is loading the new data.

STEP 6

• Carefully push the unit back down in its mount. Replace the 2 bolts

• Replace the side deck and mounting tack

• Replace the spare tire deck and carpet mat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mrtexas,

thanks for taking the time post detailed instructions. i own the same year and have been dealing w/ the original nav disk since i bought mine about a year ago. i also need an update for a toyota i own and i'm not to eager to part w/ all that cash yet. would have been nice if the 04 lex nav was like the 05 toyota nav capability to replace the disk in the head unit. anyway, i'm sure when i get around to upgrading, your post will come in quite handy.

i wish there was a way to bookmark a post in the forum itself so wouldn't have to keep cutting/pasting these into a Word document for easy reference.

on a different note, if anyone has 06 oem nav disk for my GEN4 sys they want to part w/ while they upgrade to 07, shot me a line and lets talk.

be cool,

Hello Everyone

I am from Australia and I have a LS430 2002 Model and I saw that you have been talking on how to install a gps update. This might be the wrong thread but you guys seem to know what you are doing.

I have found on other sites instructions for the 430, but they are similar to the ones you listed.

Now the problem I am having is that when I unbolt my gps unit and when I slide the push / eject switch the dust cover opens but no disc will come out. Now there must be one already in there I think ??? Mabye if it has never been upgraded there is no disc. So I am just wondering if there anything that I need to do in the menu or secret menu of the gps system. Because I have tried everything else, with the car on / off, pressing the i agree or not.

So could you please try and help me.

Thanks

Andre

Hello Everyone

I am from Australia and I have a LS430 2002 Model and I saw that you have been talking on how to install a gps update. This might be the wrong thread but you guys seem to know what you are doing.

I have found on other sites instructions for the 430, but they are similar to the ones you listed.

Now the problem I am having is that when I unbolt my gps unit and when I slide the push / eject switch the dust cover opens but no disc will come out. Now there must be one already in there I think ??? Mabye if it has never been upgraded there is no disc. So I am just wondering if there anything that I need to do in the menu or secret menu of the gps system. Because I have tried everything else, with the car on / off, pressing the i agree or not.

Thanks

Andre

Sounds as if there's no disc in the unit. If that's the case you should get a message 'no disc detected' and there's no maps etc. If that's the case, just try inserting the new disc. If it goes in then that was the answer...if there's already a disc in the unit, another disc won't go in.--Roger Silvey

Hello Everyone

Thanks

Andre

Sounds as if there's no disc in the unit. If that's the case you should get a message 'no disc detected' and there's no maps etc. If that's the case, just try inserting the new disc. If it goes in then that was the answer...if there's already a disc in the unit, another disc won't go in.--Roger Silvey

There is a disc in there that came with the car that I am using now, I just want to take the old one out and replace it with the new one I have.

Hello Everyone

Thanks

Andre

There is a disc in there that came with the car that I am using now, I just want to take the old one out and replace it with the new one I have.

Just be sure the car key is on to get it to pop out. The unit needs power to open. Read the instructions at the top of this post again and be sure yoiu follow it exactly. It is very easy to change out the disk.

Dave V.

• 2 years later...

Mr. Texas:

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I saw the instructions at Sewell Lexus website and it talks about removing some trim from the back of the trunk (5 clips). Did you have do that? Also, could please upload some pics with the location of the Nav ECU

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread to say "Thanks"! I just followed these directions to replace the 8 year old DVD in my 2003 LS430!

The directions were perfect.

puchukni: You do not have to remove any clips from the back of the trunk.

MotionMan

Finally got around to updating the Nav system on my 2004 LS430. Purchased the lastest Gen04-11 yesterday from the dealer, $169 plus tax. The instructions you provided were a big help and the new system is installed and working great. A added bonus is the DVD also works on my 2007 SC-430. Not going to say how I ended up with two DVD's, but my iMac does wonderful things!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

thanks a million. I just purchased an updated dvd for my lexus Rx 330, 2004, i did not know where to start. Your step by step is definitely a good guide. It is not tailor-made for all but a very good guide.

God bless you for passing on your knowledge.

Ben,

SK, Canada

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

J - Your post was right on target. I previuosly owned a 2000 LS400 with 198750 miles and just traded it in on a 2003 LS430 with only 35,000 miles. It is mint with original tires. But it had a blown sub woofer and the original DVD. I fixed the sub first, bought the NAV update dvd for $179 on Amazon and then tried to figure it out. Your contribution here was spot on. Many thanks - Mike