Sc300 5spd Starting Prob

kaotiq

did a search and didnt get an exact match to my problem. need help guys.

Not sure what is going on with my SC, but sometimes when i try to start the car, all i hear is a "click." It would take a couple minutes of "clicking" and sometimes all i get is half a crank. I have a perfectly good battery, new air filter, and a recent oil change. Starting the car was never a problem until now. what do you guys think?

The contacts in the starter solenoid are gone or will be soon. Eventually, the car won't start at all. I don't have the part number. Fairly common failure. You can buy the contacts, pull the starter, disassemble the solenoid and replace the contacts. Or take it to a starter/alternator rebuild place and they'll do it. I paid 15$ to fix my starter on the 93 with a warranty when Lexus wanted 800$ for a new starter.

hey thanx guys for the good advice. I guess at this point its time to finally start the swap.

whats weird is that this problem was going on about 2.5 months ago and then all of a sudden the starter problem went away. Now it's back. Strange. I just drove up to san francisco from LA and back for thanxgiving. The problems started the day after i got back. Im not sure if the long drive had anything to do with it.

SPORTcoupe: Actually no, the trip meter was always consistent. What does it mean if it resets?