New To The Club

chatanp

Hello to all my fellow ES300 owners!

My '97 ES300 has about 78,000 miles on it, and still drive very well considering the terrible stop and go driving in St. Louis.

I wanted to know about when I should replace the timing belt and if I should have the water pump done at the same time. Also, anyone have an idea of what it may cost for both?

Thanks,

cp

Welcome.

I had my 93 ES timing belt, fan belts, and water pump(dealer detected leak) replaced for $840 at 78K miles in Houston Dealership in 2002. From previous threads, your timing belt should be non-interference type meaning it simply breaks without damaging your engine but it will leave you stranded.

• 1 month later...

Yikes!! My wife's 97 hit 96 000 km (60 000 mi) 2 years ago and we had her timing belt done at the Lexus dealer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. They did the timing belt, minor tuneup (new platinum plugs, filters) but no oil change (I do that myself), no water pump, but flushed and bled the entire brake system. Hold on guys! The total bill was $340 .00 CDN, and that was back when we had a 50 cent Canadian dollar compared to the USD, and they washed and vaccuumed the interior of the car as well! You guys must be paying for a motor change at the prices you quoted! After all, the engine is just a retuned Camry. $840 and $1194 USD? And no, I didn't hold a gun to anyone's head.

I have to agree. That was the first time and only time that the car has been back to the dealership since we bought it used from them. I was very pleasantly surprised, to say the least. The timing belt in my 97 Subaru Outback was in the $370 range, which was even more money than the Lexus, but reasonable. Reality checked in when my 90 Nissan 300ZX needed a timing belt....$1200 for parts, plus taxes (15%), plus 5 hours labour @ $78.00 and hour. That one got my attention!

wow i think i might've gotten the best deal... a lexus mech that works at my neighborhood lexus dealership does personal work at home. basically he did the 90k full service on my car, alignment, changed my seals, checked my suspension, replaced brakes (rotors and pads), replaced all the bulbs in my tail lights, replaced the bulbs behind the speedo, tore out my headunit for me (got a new headunit with the simplest setup i've ever seen, no need to buy new amp. ran straight through stock amp). i got everything done for $500 flat. oh and oil change and tranny flush. oil change was full synth mobil one. he also flushed my brake fluid with new fluid. flushed engine coolant as well. danggg now that i look at it... that was a HELLUVA deal!! <_< :blink: :chairshot: :chairshot:

kev

• 3 weeks later...

I go to an independent Lexus Certified shop in Vista, CA, Autotyme.

I got my timing belt changed at 80,000 mi for $280.

My regular maintenance visits (oil, filter and tire rotation) are $25-35 vs $125 at my Lexus dealer, but the Lexus dealer does wash my car. I call it the $100 car wash.

I have 155,000 miles and my only repair beyond normal maintenance was the idle control valve for $300.