Water Removal Without Chamois!

Hey have you ever ran into the issue of having to ring out your chamois every second? I recently started working at a lexus dealership, and I was suprised at first that we weren't using chamois, I was using a water blade. Kinda funny becuase I never expected to be drying off cars like spreading peanut butter on a big loaf of bread. The product is called the California Water Blade. It is made from a flexible, clear material that has a t-bar for easy cleaning. I picked it up, and within a minute, the whole car had 5% of that water remaining on it. I thought I should share this with you guys because it is easy to work with, and a few swipes isn't hard to do, they dont need to be stored like a chamois, but they are kinda pricy, 20 bucks for a 12"+ blade. after using this, we then use Cook's auto Spray wax, jsut spray on and wipe off. Let me know what you think of this.

Hey have you ever ran into the issue of having to ring out your chamois every second? I recently started working at a lexus dealership, and I was suprised at first that we weren't using chamois, I was using a water blade. Kinda funny becuase I never expected to be drying off cars like spreading peanut butter on a big loaf of bread. The product is called the California Water Blade. It is made from a flexible, clear material that has a t-bar for easy cleaning. I picked it up, and within a minute, the whole car had 5% of that water remaining on it. I thought I should share this with you guys because it is easy to work with, and a few swipes isn't hard to do, they dont need to be stored like a chamois, but they are kinda pricy, 20 bucks for a 12"+ blade. after using this, we then use Cook's auto Spray wax, jsut spray on and wipe off. Let me know what you think of this.

I would use a MF but that is me. YMMV

Yeah, I had seen these and wasn't sure about what effect they may have on the paint. They are made by the same people as the California Car Duster - which I love!

There is more information on them on their website.

EDIT: OOOPs, just found another thread about this in this forum

California Jelly Blade

Guess I won't be using one of these on my dark paintjob! :o

Yeah try a waffle weave MF towel instead of the chamois, I bet you'll like it better.

I've used the california water blade. Its a neat product, but I'm concerned about picking up a granule of something and causing marring with it.

Waffle Weave Towel:

A waffle (Piqué) weave towel is a synthetic Micro fibre woven with a dimpled pattern, which provides thousands of small pockets to trap dirt or grit. The absorbency of these towels is quite remarkable; they are able to hold seven or eight times their weight in water.

Drying methodology- lay the waffle weave towel on the surface and gently pull it across, for vertical panels place towel on surface and pull upwards, provided the paint finish has been rinsed adequately (water ‘sheeting’) there should be no dirt residue, check and rinse the towel often

The reason I advice against the use of natural or synthetic chamois or flat surface synthetic sponges is that grit or dirt can become trapped between its flat surface and the paint causing scratches, with a waffle weave type fabric the dirt/grit is collected in the ‘pockets’ of the weave - 25 x 36-inch, very absorbent, won’t leave streaks or leave lint, no need to wring-out, with silk edging- http://store.pakshak.com/waffle-weave-micr...el-25x36-2.html

Woodbadger, you could also use a microfiber towel from the store. I agree with the other guys, we do use these though for the new car's we sell at the dealership. Used for drying and used for removing spray wax and polish/wax

Use the water blade to get the majority of water off, then go over it with the waffle weave. That's what I do, the car is dry lickety split! haha

And I know some people may have had issues with the blade, but I personally have never had any problem on any color of vehicle. I keep mine clean, and don't mash it against the paint.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah try a waffle weave MF towel instead of the chamois, I bet you'll like it better.

I've used the california water blade. Its a neat product, but I'm concerned about picking up a granule of something and causing marring with it.

Just my opinion here and not dissin' the rest of you (gee, big word dissin I used there ha ha!) but SW03ES and detaildoc are the ones that have just been super in helping a novice like me. Hey SW03ES, check out my update under my other post that you were so helpful for me on (the Cleaning and Maintenance of New Lexus). You and detaildoc really helped me and I ordered all the stuff (wife is mad but I will do here car first to get on her good side....I hope ):whistles:

I got the Sonus Der Wunder waffle weave MF towel. I would be afraid of the blade; just like I have not got up the nerve to use a clay bar!!!! So anyway, once I am done with my first "virgin" effort, I will post pics in the other post for all to see (unless I really screw up!)!!!!