Going To Look At A '92 Sc400 (carfax Please!) And Opinions

This Friday I am going about 250 miles to look at a '92 SC400 that had been forfeited to a law enforcement agency. (drug bust). There were a couple of photos showing it basically in real nice shape, in and out. I have done some searching and reading. (ok a bunch). And I did make it here. (http://intellexual.net/faq.html). Non-Negotiable, the price tag is $4500. Any thoughts?

But it never hurts to be loaded with info.

1. if possible would someone be so kind as to do a Carfax or AutoCheck on this vehicle. VIN JT8UZ30C3N0020350

2. I dont want to be a drag. But in a few short words, can you knowledgeable folks give some quick ideas what to look for when doing a visual. Usually there are some things that dont get mentioned too often.

Thanks a heap.

Ps. A week ago i bought a '95 ES300 for the wife. Interior was excellent, minor issues on the exterior. A chip here and there, but minor. 125,000 miles. White w/tan interior, leather in really nice shape. Engine runs just dandy, shifts smoothly. I paid $4000. What do you think?

Pss. This '92 is the same White w/ tan leather interior. We did like that matching thing. She fell in love with the ES so much so that she is going to let me go look at this, with money order in hand just in case 'I' like it!

Call your local Lexus dealer and have them run the VIN through their national service database. They will be able to tell you what kind of service work Lexus dealers have ever done to the car. Timing Belt is probably the most important thing. With this year SC, you don't really need to worry much about it though. 92-94 have a non-interference engine, meaning if the belt breaks, no damage will be done to the car's engine.

When doing your visual inspection, I think the most important thing to look at is the body lines where the fenders and doors etc meet. If the car has ever been in a collision, the lines near the area hit will probably not look the same as the ones on the rest of the car. You can also look at weatherstripping and fasteners behind the doors. If there is paint on any of those, it is a good indication there was paint/body work performed at some point in time.

If only 1 fender or door has been repainted/replaced, it would not keep me from buying the car. Often times that happens just because of large dents or scratches. If more than one part of the car has had work done, I would pass and look for another car.

Mechanically, just look carefully at everything. Listen to the engine, check to see if the idle speed is correct, and look at all the fluids. When you drive the car, drive slowly over bumps to see what kind of noise the suspension makes. Some is normal for a car of this age. Floor the gas pedal a few times, and when you slow down, hit the brakes hard after making sure there is nobody behind you. Listen for squeaks that indicate worn out brake pads, and check the condition of the rotors.

Any pictures of the car?

This Friday I am going about 250 miles to look at a '92 SC400 that had been forfeited to a law enforcement agency. (drug bust). There were a couple of photos showing it basically in real nice shape, in and out. I have done some searching and reading. (ok a bunch). And I did make it here. (http://intellexual.net/faq.html). Non-Negotiable, the price tag is $4500. Any thoughts?

But it never hurts to be loaded with info.

1. if possible would someone be so kind as to do a Carfax or AutoCheck on this vehicle. VIN JT8UZ30C3N0020350

2. I dont want to be a drag. But in a few short words, can you knowledgeable folks give some quick ideas what to look for when doing a visual. Usually there are some things that dont get mentioned too often.

Thanks a heap.

Ps. A week ago i bought a '95 ES300 for the wife. Interior was excellent, minor issues on the exterior. A chip here and there, but minor. 125,000 miles. White w/tan interior, leather in really nice shape. Engine runs just dandy, shifts smoothly. I paid $4000. What do you think?

Pss. This '92 is the same White w/ tan leather interior. We did like that matching thing. She fell in love with the ES so much so that she is going to let me go look at this, with money order in hand just in case 'I' like it!

You owe me a beer :cheers:

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed

No Problem

Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon

Guaranteed

No Problem

Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed

No Problem

GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX

Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated

Accident Check

Inspected at a collision repair facility on 02/24/2004. Accident Indicator

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Lexus dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

No data reported to CARFAX.

No Data Reported

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 24 record(s) for this 1992 LEXUS SC 400 (JT8UZ30C3N0020350).

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

05/23/1992 NICB Vehicle manufactured

and shipped to original dealer

07/08/1992 8 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Northbrook, IL

Title #K6951892 Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Loan or lien reported

Registered as lease vehicle

03/20/1995 32,974 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Palatine, IL

Title #H8474167 Title issued or updated

04/12/1996 33,001 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Chicago, IL

Title #T6103348009 Title issued or updated

12/06/1996 42,088 Illinois

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Bradley, IL

Title #T6341154023 Title issued or updated

05/05/2003 81,322 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

05/08/2003 81,326 Dealer Inventory

Bourbonnais, IL Vehicle offered for sale

06/17/2003 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

07/08/2003 81,400 Auto Auction Sold at auction

in Illinois

Listed as

a dealer vehicle

07/10/2003 Dealer Inventory

Illinois Vehicle sold

08/21/2003 82,353 Lexus of Wayzata

Wayzata, MN

952-476-6111

www.lexusofwayzata.com

ww.lexusofwayzata.c

om Vehicle serviced

Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated

08/28/2003 Minnesota

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Minneapolis, MN

Title #G2400R062 Title or registration issued

New owner reported

Exempt from odometer reporting

09/25/2003 86,825 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

12/18/2003 90,855 Lexus of Wayzata

Wayzata, MN

952-476-6111

www.lexusofwayzata.com

ww.lexusofwayzata.c

om Vehicle serviced

02/24/2004 94,560 Collision Repair Facility

Minnesota Vehicle inspected after an

accident or other incident

Damage to rear

A vehicle inspection completed

by your dealer or professional

inspector is recommended

CARFAX began reporting information from this source on 05/06/2005.

05/18/2004 97,226 Lexus of Wayzata

Wayzata, MN

952-476-6111

www.lexusofwayzata.com

ww.lexusofwayzata.c

om Vehicle serviced

Lubed oil and filter changed

09/03/2004 102,282 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

Engine serviced

Transmission serviced

Lubed oil and filter changed