Oil Circulation Through The Oil Filter

tatmiko

I am a recent owner of a 2004 RX330 with front-wheel drive. I did my first oil and filter change and was shocked to find that the filter was nearly dry indicating no oil flow through the filter. Needless to say I am very worried that this may cause damage to the engine. I called the Lexus help line and they have never heard of this problem. I will be taking it back to the dealer for some diagnostic check. Has anyone experienced this problem with an RX330? Any feedback would be appreciated.

how soon did you change the filter after draining oil? Did you use a Toyota filter?

My normal process is to drain the oil pan and then follow with the filter removal. Usually there is some oil in the filter, but this time it was nearly dry...like no oil passed through it. I use a Fram (3614). I noticed that there is much concern with Fram. Is there a history of problems with Fram? I also noticed that the oil from the crankcase was pretty thick. This after I changed the oil only 4000 miles ago.

how soon did you change the filter after draining oil? Did you use a Toyota filter?

My normal process is to drain the oil pan and then follow with the filter removal. Usually there is some oil in the filter, but this time it was nearly dry...like no oil passed through it. I use a Fram (3614). I noticed that there is much concern with Fram. Is there a history of problems with Fram? I also noticed that the oil from the crankcase was pretty thick. This after I changed the oil only 4000 miles ago.

There is no issues with Fram. YMMV but Fram is no better or worse then Toyota OEM filters (based on construction). In fact, in some applications, Toyota is worse then Fram (based on construction). I also have used Fram and got UOA’s done and they were fine.

I cannot comment on “oil viscosity” since I do not know what “thick” means nor the starting oil properties.

If the filter was dry, my guess is a bad valve in filter (not likely) or something with oil pressure in engine. Even if filter had bad valve it would just bypass filter media but be wet.

But if you followed the manual, and do not know what else to do take it into a dealer or non-lexus dealer.

• 2 months later...

Here is a suggestion, fill the crankcase with new oil. Take your old filter and cut the closed end off and remove the filter element. As you know, oil flows into the filter through the outside and returns to the engine through the center hole into the threaded nipple the filter screws onto. Screw the cutup filter back on, put a clean drain pan under the filter, get a good flashlight and then have someone crank the engine. If it starts up, don't let it run too long, just long enough to see if oil is flowing out of the filter. If it is flowing out the filter, then replace the filter with a new one and drive it.

If the oil in the clean drain pan is old oil which it should be, throw it away. Add some more new oil to bring to full. Take two aspirin and relax.

Now on the other hand, if no oil comes out which I don't believe will be the case, shut it off, call the tow truck and get the credit card out.

Good luck