Towing Issues

tharkun

OK need some info. I have a 08 GX470 w/ tow package. I am getting a cargo/race trailer and am wondering about electric brake compatibility with the GX.

Most towing I have done was with an after-market set up with a under dash brake controller. So how does one deal with adjustment of the GX and electric brakes?

I have not see where Lexus offers a controller. I belive I understood with this tow package, it's not needed...correct.

Any input appreciated.

v/r LEE

Lexus does not offer an electronic brake controller, so you would have to go aftermarket if you wanted one. Even though Lexus doesn't offer a controller, they do provide a connector for the controller. The connector is a bit hard to get to. Its hidden in the dashboard. You have to reach up and around under the driver side dashboard to find the connector.

Tharkun, If your towing 5000lbs you will need the electric brake option connected. Unless you want to replace your SUV brakes at the end of every trip.

We used to pull a 3800lb rig with an Astro van and it had the brake controller.

Have you talked with the service dept at Lexus?

G

I tow a race trailer with my GX. The trailer, race car, and equipment weighs in at 4,300 lbs. I have the Tekonsha P3 brake controller, it works great, after setting it up the first time, no need to worry about it again. I have the brake controller set at boost level 1.

Yep, one guy was able to find me the wiring specs & locate the T8 plug. Other than that, they were clueless. Even Lexus' own spec & service computer system had very little info which was kind of amazing for vehicles touted for the of road & towing capacity, as well as the luxury bit.

I did order the Tekonsha Prodigy 2.6 controller & harness.

Thansk for the feed back.

Tharkun, If your towing 5000lbs you will need the electric brake option connected. Unless you want to replace your SUV brakes at the end of every trip.

G

Hi Tharkun

I tow a 5000+lb boat with my 04 GX. I have the factory tow package that came wired with a 7 pin female adaptor. My trailer has the 5 pin harness so I had to buy a 7 to 5 pin adapter for everything to work properly.

If you are towing over 3500lbs your trailer has to have some type of brakes by law. If I were you I would by a trailer with surge brakes. Its a very simple hydralic mechanism. This way you dont need to put out any more cash. The surge brakes are set to work with as your truck brakes. The centre pin on the 7 pin adaptor is designed to release the brakes when you going in reverse only. If possible get the trailer with a matching 7 pin male and you will be a happy camper. Just plug and go literally.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, one guy was able to find me the wiring specs & locate the T8 plug. Other than that, they were clueless. Even Lexus' own spec & service computer system had very little info which was kind of amazing for vehicles touted for the of road & towing capacity, as well as the luxury bit.

I did order the Tekonsha Prodigy 2.6 controller & harness.

Thansk for the feed back.

G

I just installed a Tekonsha in my '05 GX this weekend. You will need to take the panel off that covers the bottom of the dash. There is 1 screw at the from and a couple of pressed fit clips along the front edge. Just gently pry the panel down with a screw driver. The plug you are looking for is right behind the end of the black air vent. It is taped in the wiring loom. Cut the tape and you can plug in the harness easily. Finding the plug was the hardest part! I used velcro to attach it to the dash above the accelerator.

Good luck!

I also use a Tekonsha. The easiest way to install the brake controller is to buy a new fuse box cover and mount it on the cover. It works perfectly and I can unplug the controller and store it in the back between uses. I then just put on the original fuse box cover.