Who Is Mark Levinson?

Basically, many of the OEMs have been calling on Audio experts from the recording and home theater markets to develop systems for their vehicles.

It seems that the OEMs had to tap other sources for acoustics other then BOSE etc... It is brand labeling and exclusiveness as well. You can read up on them if you care to.

www.marklevinson.com (Toyota's guy)

www.elssurround.com (Honda's guy)

www.thx.com/auto/

etc...

Well, is the ML system in a 2002 GS300 really any better than the standard stereo? I've never heard of this guy. I know Bose is good but overpriced, what about ML?

I just saw where ML is part of Harman Specialty Group. Is the the Harman of Harman-Carden?

It is mostly personal preference. Some people hate Bose stuff, some don't. Audio/Video is typically judged emotionally so better or worst, it is hard to say. Just know that the ML and regular stereos are different. That said, you should listen to both with your own music to decide which you like best as far as sound, volume, features etc...

I think it Harman Karden (HK) andit is reasonable to think that there is some corporate relationship but I really don't know for sure.

Mark levinson sound systems don't impress me much, the bass isnt strong, and there is not enough of it. But Some car models like the GS sound good with their premium sound systems :) good bass.

mark levinson is a high end home stereo company. it sold its name to lexus when nakamchi went out of bvusiness as lexus high end stereo system. it produces none of the parts which are made by harmon carden the makers of toyotas jbl systems. mark levinson lexus systems use low watt high effeciency speakers of unusual ohm ratings. the speakers are matched to the car interior

mark levinson systems sound quite well. of course they are light on bass by standards of aftermarket units which are so powerful that special equipment has to be installed or the battery will go dead. the mark levinson systems like the nakamichi systems they replaced have good clarity instead of body vibatiing bass. none of the components can be easily replaced with aftermarket units.

the pioneer made standard lexus stereo systems are also produce good stereo sound by oem standards. the speakers lately have unusual ohm specifications not just 4 ohms like aftermarket. . the is350 pioneer made system speakers also are all 8 ohms just like the mark levinson systems so replacing with aftermarket speakers not recommended.

Actually Mark Levinson is a division of Harman International; which manufactures auto and home sound systems under the Harman Kardon; JBL, Infinity, Lexicon, Revel and Becker brands. Like Pioneersuby said I bet most of the 'Mark Levinson' automotive components might be shared with other Harman automotive brands (Harman Kardon in Mercedes and other brands; Lexicon for Rolls Royce; Infinity for some domestics). The dedicated Mark Levinson systems for the home can cost upwards of $100,000.

For some reason many high end stereo speakers use very low resistance speakers; my friend has a pair of $8000 Silverline speakers that I think are rated at 2 ohms. He has a HUGE Plinus amp to drive them; it looks like you could roast a turkey on it or something.

Nakamichi is still around; apparently they weren't too keen on having their systems controlled by touch screen (which explains why in the 98-00 LS you could have Nakamichi or Nav but not both). I remember their big claim to fame was precision tape decks...we can all see where THAT went. They make some lifestyle and automotive systems; but they are not nearly as prominent as they once were.

The ML stereos have gotten very good notices; but Pioneersuby is right they are designed mostly for clarity and precision rather than overall impact. Also they are exclusive to Lexus while other brands (Harman Kardon, Panasonic ELS, Lexicon) can be found in many vehicles; so that adds some cachet.

I would just take a CD if you are shopping (of music you listen to and know well; don't let the salesman use their demo) and decide if you think it's worth it. Also the cars are so quiet and have been well designed acoustically so even the 'base' sound systems are pretty good; these I think are still made by Pioneer.

Oddly enough both Hiro Nakamichi and Mark Levinson have left their namesakes and founded other audio companies.

Mark levinson sound systems don't impress me much, the bass isnt strong, and there is not enough of it. But Some car models like the GS sound good with their premium sound systems :) good bass.

mark levinson is a high end home stereo company. it sold its name to lexus when nakamchi went out of bvusiness as lexus high end stereo system. it produces none of the parts which are made by harmon carden the makers of toyotas jbl systems. mark levinson lexus systems use low watt high effeciency speakers of unusual ohm ratings. the speakers are matched to the car interior

mark levinson systems sound quite well. of course they are light on bass by standards of aftermarket units which are so powerful that special equipment has to be installed or the battery will go dead. the mark levinson systems like the nakamichi systems they replaced have good clarity instead of body vibatiing bass. none of the components can be easily replaced with aftermarket units.

the pioneer made standard lexus stereo systems are also produce good stereo sound by oem standards. the speakers lately have unusual ohm specifications not just 4 ohms like aftermarket. . the is350 pioneer made system speakers also are all 8 ohms just like the mark levinson systems so replacing with aftermarket speakers not recommended.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...