Weired Cluster Issues

I am installing <RED tipped needles and my speedo is now reading about 5MPH slow. it starts 5 below 0 and it doesn't fix itself higher up in the range. they look great but thats kind of an annoyance. is there any way to fix that? also how do I remove the cluster assembly to replace the back lighting? its not apparent, and its extremely hard to get to the wires that connect the cluster to. they aren't dragging on the plastic thats one of the things I thought it might be but that makes no sense

any help appreceated

Thanks,

-Erik

man just replace the factory ones if you have to, speeding tickets suck, but for the back lights, there should be two screws that will remove the assembly. they are located above the glass display cover for the speedometer, ask a mechanic at your local dealership, I saw one using blue light condoms tochange the lighting color.

man just replace the factory ones if you have to, speeding tickets suck, but for the back lights, there should be two screws that will remove the assembly. they are located above the glass display cover for the speedometer, ask a mechanic at your local dealership, I saw one using blue light condoms tochange the lighting color.

the needle is not the problem. speeding tickets can be avoided with common sense, attentiveness, and a Valentine ONE. the two screws that I found are only to remove the smoked plastic shield, where should I be looking for the two that allow me to remove the cluster? I have new LEDs to replace the burnt out ones but need to remove the cluster to finish the job

-Erik

has nobody else run into this problem before? I fixed all but the gas needle, but I still need to know how to get to the back lighting

-Erik

Here is the link to the backlighting DIY write-up.

As far as the speedo needle reading too low is concerned - you can try pulling the needle off again and repositioning it so that it is in line with the "0" MPH mark when the car is in PARK and the engine is running. If it is still reading low, you might have to adjust the balance of the needle slightly so that it sits at the right point on the gauge. If after the needle mod is done there is a bit more weight at the tip end of the needle than there is at the base end, you can add some weight to the base end to better balance the needle. To do this, melt a very tiny bit of solder (and I mean TINY - solder is heavy) onto the metal counter-weight which is on the underside of the needle, right at the base. Then test the needle to see how it is now positioned on the gauge. If it is still not reading correctly, add a tiny bit more and retest again. Do this as many times at it takes to get the needle to rest at the right spot on the gauge.

Hope this helps.

has nobody else run into this problem before? I fixed all but the gas needle, but I still need to know how to get to the back lighting

-Erik

Here is the link to the backlighting DIY write-up.

As far as the speedo needle reading too low is concerned - you can try pulling the needle off again and repositioning it so that it is in line with the "0" MPH mark when the car is in PARK and the engine is running. If it is still reading low, you might have to adjust the balance of the needle slightly so that it sits at the right point on the gauge. If after the needle mod is done there is a bit more weight at the tip end of the needle than there is at the base end, you can add some weight to the base end to better balance the needle. To do this, melt a very tiny bit of solder (and I mean TINY - solder is heavy) onto the metal counter-weight which is on the underside of the needle, right at the base. Then test the needle to see how it is now positioned on the gauge. If it is still not reading correctly, add a tiny bit more and retest again. Do this as many times at it takes to get the needle to rest at the right spot on the gauge.

Hope this helps.

when I put in my SMDs, I used one 660ohm resistor in the back part of the needle because I used heavy wire, it seems to be fairly well balanced. and if my car is a stick, should I just leave it in Neutral instead of park? as far as the speedo goes, it's only about 3MPH off according to my D3's GPS so Im not worried about that. the gas gauge I hope I can right though. Thanks for the link the the backlighting thread again, I had lost track of it somehow

indeed, it helps

Thank you!