Strange Rubble Noise?

Not sure how to describe this - but I can only hear it when the radio is off and all windows up etc... It only happens when you start moving from a stand still. It basically sounds like there are some rocks or something "rolling" from the front of the car to the driver seat. Like there is something in the air filter tube or something because it just sounds like something is rolling towards me?

I replaced the air filter the other day - it was full of bees and spiders, but other than that it wasnt too bad - I looked at what I could see and didn't see anything noticeable - any ideas for me?

TIA

We can help you better if you update your profile with the Model & Year of your Lexus.

Generally, it sounds like the front suspension "unloading" after you come to a stop and then accelerate. Try backing up, coming to a complete stop then moving forward again to see if it still happens. If not, it may be a front bushing or suspension bit groaning at you due to excess wear.

This is on a 2003 GS300 with 90k. It really sounds like something in the AC vents etc - thats the area it sounds like its coming from, will check the tires though... It is time to get new tires, any recommendations for a good all-weather tire?

This is on a 2003 GS300 with 90k. It really sounds like something in the AC vents etc - thats the area it sounds like its coming from, will check the tires though... It is time to get new tires, any recommendations for a good all-weather tire?

BF goodwrench Traction T/A's work well for me...Enough grip and quality for not too much money!

I signed up a long time ok but never posted but this made me because its so irritating and

I have a 2001 Lexus GS300 and have the same problem, i get your problem its like there an acorn or something in there rolling...It only happens when taking off from a stop so it really sounds like something is just rolling towards you through the dash.....

Sorry i cant help but if u find the problem out please let me know...

Thank you

jjdynamite@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED

Save this one for the archives...

Basically a guy that does mechanic work out of his garage fixed this, and I can see a dealer charging all kinds of money for troubleshooting as its such a random/strange noise. It was best described as sounding like acorns or rocks were rolling towards you when you take off from a stand still. It sounded like water a little bit when we were going slow.

Basically he took a coat hanger and cleaned out the hole in the evaporation tray was, when the ac is on and condensates it goes to this reserve and drips out the hold, it was clogged and not draining properly.

ALso - he noticed my anti-freeze was low (something you should check too) there were no leaks, but he did find there were air bubbles in the line which was causing some noises too.

Hope this can help others that have the same issue - reply here or mail me if you need more details, my mechanic can get more specific.

• 4 weeks later...
PROBLEM SOLVED

Save this one for the archives...

Basically a guy that does mechanic work out of his garage fixed this, and I can see a dealer charging all kinds of money for troubleshooting as its such a random/strange noise. It was best described as sounding like acorns or rocks were rolling towards you when you take off from a stand still. It sounded like water a little bit when we were going slow.

Basically he took a coat hanger and cleaned out the hole in the evaporation tray was, when the ac is on and condensates it goes to this reserve and drips out the hold, it was clogged and not draining properly.

ALso - he noticed my anti-freeze was low (something you should check too) there were no leaks, but he did find there were air bubbles in the line which was causing some noises too.

Hope this can help others that have the same issue - reply here or mail me if you need more details, my mechanic can get more specific.

Have a 2001 GS300 with the same noise. Sounded like water trickling when you start off. Bottom line is you need more anti freeze. If you are low and as you start off, the water pump circulates water through the system and through the heater core. The water running through the heeter core is what you are hearing.