Need Help With Remote Start

HEY, I LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST, SO REMOTE START IS A HUGE DEAL HERE. BUT I WAS TOLD BY THE STEALERSHIP THAT A REMOTE START PACKAGE FOR THE PUSH START COST $800. IS THAT THE CASE OR IS THERE AN AFTERMARKET VERSION AVAILABLE? OR CAN I BUY THE PART MYSELF AND INSTALL IT?. I HAVE HAD REMOTE START FOR YEARS AND THERE REALLY ISNT MUCH LABOR INVOLVED. I THOUGHT $400-$500 IS REASONABLE FROM A STEALERSHIP, BUT $800 SEEMS REALLY STEEP.

is it the LEXUS JDM remote start you're trying to install or an aftermarket one?

it is the factory one offered at Lexus. is there an aftermarket version available for the "push start" ignition. well it is getting warmer now so- there isnt a big rush anymore.

is it the LEXUS JDM remote start you're trying to install or an aftermarket one?

it is the factory one offered at Lexus. is there an aftermarket version available for the "push start" ignition. well it is getting warmer now so- there isnt a big rush anymore.

Try to find an installation shop that is familiar with UltraStarters remote systems. They are much less expensive..

WWW.ULTRASTARTERS.COM

Lexus doesn't offer a remote starter for the GS in the US, except for the new LX570. Would be interesting to know how the aftermarket system would work for the GS. I don't think the push start ignition would be the issue. I think the issue would be the Smartkey system itself.

The usual remote system installed on our G's is a Viper remote. It is a high quality system with an extended range, but it requires the hiding/imbedding of one of your fobs somewhere inside the car, usually in the dash. They wire a relay which briefly turns on the fob's radio signal, allowing the GS receiver to remotely start. TAhe Ultrastarter company has a new wiring harness that somehow gets around this limitation- so I have been told. I'm planning on trying the Ultrastarter system next fall.

there is a module that records the transponder code eliminating the need to have a key/fob stuffed in the dash with some wires wrapped around it running to the ignition sensor.... and if you need a remote start done in NYC... let me know.. i know a guy.

The usual remote system installed on our G's is a Viper remote. It is a high quality system with an extended range, but it requires the hiding/imbedding of one of your fobs somewhere inside the car, usually in the dash. They wire a relay which briefly turns on the fob's radio signal, allowing the GS receiver to remotely start. TAhe Ultrastarter company has a new wiring harness that somehow gets around this limitation- so I have been told. I'm planning on trying the Ultrastarter system next fall.

Curious. Are you saying they turn off the transponder signal? The problem with the Smartkey system is you can't hide it in the car as its always communicating with the car which would allow anyone to get in the car and start it. The only other issue with the Smartkey is rather short lifespan of the battery, so leaving an active Smartkey in the car would drain it much faster.

Curious. Are you saying they turn off the transponder signal? The problem with the Smartkey system is you can't hide it in the car as its always communicating with the car which would allow anyone to get in the car and start it. The only other issue with the Smartkey is rather short lifespan of the battery, so leaving an active Smartkey in the car would drain it much faster.

You're correct, the smart fob is always expressing it's radio signal. The Viper alarm has a wired bypass that is soldered into the hidden fob (whose battery has been removed). It sends a power signal to the fob only when the Viper's remote is activated and only for a brief few seconds. The fob emits it's "OK to start" signal, turns off and just sits there, happy as a clam, until the next remote activation.

I know 2 years ago, Lexus and other remote starter have many issue dealing with keyless ignitions. I am not sure if all the issues have been resolved yet. With the price of gas these days, hardly anyone use remote starter anymore.

• 2 weeks later...