Ignition Turns And Does Not Engage

Powder806

Good afternoon all! :)

I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 and when I put the key in to turn it on, it just keeps turning. All the lights and buzzers sound letting me know that I am trying to start it but it is like it is not engaging in the key part. Its not a dead starter or anything like that. Been there, I know what that is like.

Does this mean my ignition is broke? Or down past the ignition cylinder? :(

If the ignition has to be replaced, can I still just use the other key to unlock the doors and the new one to turn it on? Any and all help with this is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bunches in advance and you all have a great day! :)

I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 and when I put the key in to turn it on, it just keeps turning. All the lights and buzzers sound letting me know that I am trying to start it but it is like it is not engaging in the key part. Its not a dead starter or anything like that. Been there, I know what that is like.

If the ignition has to be replaced, can I still just use the other key to unlock the doors and the new one to turn it on? Any and all help with this is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bunches in advance and you all have a great day! :)

Couldn't tell you what is wrong with the ignition, but I can confirm that if you replace it, the original key will still work in the doors.

Couldn't tell you what is wrong with the ignition, but I can confirm that if you replace it, the original key will still work in the doors.

My husband took it apart and the ignition cylinder seems to be working okay but the mechanics beyond that to the steering column seem to be broken. :( How do the mechanics inside get broken like that? :huh: Old age? I think I am really wanting to sell this car. I realized that when we bought it, there might be some up keep on it because of its age, but man, new ignition parts, new a/c drier and compressor, new alternator, new battery, new brakes. I keep telling myself after each one, okay, all should be okay now. lol Then 1-2 months later something else needs repaired. I think it needs new shocks now too because in the rear if we hit ANY dip in the road the rear tire well comes down on the wheel. OUCH! :o Anyone interested in buying a silver 1990 LS400 with approx. 180K miles on it? :D

I think you would find alot of people interested in buying your car, but the price you set is really where you will see how much interest you get ;)

Good afternoon. :)

I would not even know what to ask for it. :huh:

I think you would find alot of people interested in buying your car, but the price you set is really where you will see how much interest you get ;)

Good afternoon. :)

I would not even know what to ask for it. :huh:

Being in Texas, there should be aload fo them in your local paper for sale, or check the dallas papers. Look at 1990-1994 withroughly the same km's as yours in "needs light work" condition... And then you will have a good idea... For a quick sale, be cheaper than everyone.