Speed Sensors

valleyd01

Does anyone know how to checkout the input turbine speed sensor and the counter gear speed sensor located on top of the transmission. I don't have a ck eng lt on and am wondering if I can remove the sensors to troubleshoot them or do I have to have the ecm (engine control module) scanned to troubleshoot the sensors for any faults that are not showing up. I am having 1-2 and 2-3 upshift slipping when cold only, on a rebuilt transmission. Shifted fine for the first 1200 miles now its acting up and have read other owners who have had success after replacing sensor(s). Fluid is full with type IV. 2001 RX300 fwd Thankyou

here is checkout:

Speed sensor malfunction.

* ECM malfunction.

Diagnosis & Repair Procedure

1) Access ECM, located behind glove compartment. Disconnect

appropriate ECM connector. Using a DVOM, check resistance between ECM

connector terminals NC+ and NC-. See Figs. 9 and 10. Resistance should

be 560-680 ohms. If resistance is as specified, replace ECM. If

resistance is not as specified, go to next step.

2) Remove counter gear speed sensor from transaxle. See

Fig. 1. Check resistance between speed sensor terminals. Resistance

should be 560-680 ohms. Connect a DVOM to speed sensor terminals.

3) Measure voltage when a magnet is put close to tip of speed

sensor, then taken away quickly. See Fig. 8. Voltage generated should

be intermittent and extremely low. If resistance and voltage are not

as specified, replace speed sensor. If resistance and voltage are as

specified, check and repair wiring harness or connector between speed

sensor and ECM.

Fig. 8: Testing No. 2 Speed Sensor

Courtesy of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc Note the resistance checkout and voltage is the same on both sensors

here is checkout:

Speed sensor malfunction.

* ECM malfunction.

Diagnosis & Repair Procedure

1) Access ECM, located behind glove compartment. Disconnect

appropriate ECM connector. Using a DVOM, check resistance between ECM

connector terminals NC+ and NC-. See Figs. 9 and 10. Resistance should

be 560-680 ohms. If resistance is as specified, replace ECM. If

resistance is not as specified, go to next step.

2) Remove counter gear speed sensor from transaxle. See

Fig. 1. Check resistance between speed sensor terminals. Resistance

should be 560-680 ohms. Connect a DVOM to speed sensor terminals.

3) Measure voltage when a magnet is put close to tip of speed

sensor, then taken away quickly. See Fig. 8. Voltage generated should

be intermittent and extremely low. If resistance and voltage are not

as specified, replace speed sensor. If resistance and voltage are as

specified, check and repair wiring harness or connector between speed

sensor and ECM.

Fig. 8: Testing No. 2 Speed Sensor

Courtesy of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc Note the resistance checkout and voltage is the same on both sensors

Thanks for the info

by the way you could swap the two sensors and see what it does for you. On another Lexus site a guy did that And it fixed his problems.

lenore,

I know you have gone through the tranny problem a couple of times. What are your thoughts on these speed sensors? Were they checked out on your trannies before replacement? The post you referred to was the second time now that a poster claimed to fix what appeared to be a need for a tranny replacement with just a sensor. Maybe I am just doing some wishful thinking for when my tranny time comes.

You know, my diagnosis was by Lexus, they said nothing about the speed sensors, in my case before I took it to Lexus I had dropped the pan, and it was a mess, lots of metal, from what I understand the planetary gears go out also and their is no return from that other than a tranny rebuild....

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any further info on these 2 sensors? I was wondering where they are located and what is involved in swapping them. My wife claims the car didn't move in reverse then finally moved with a jolt twice in the last couple of weeks.

I did some searching and it looks like tgun08 did the sensor swap and solved the reverse problem. The problem is he hasn't logged in since Feb 14. I was hoping he could tell me how to remove the sensors. I guess I will have to get the manual out and take a look at the top of trans.

I have a '99 4wd and have been vigorously replacing tranny fluid as recommended by others. After reading so much about the 2 speed sensors, I went ahead and replaced them. I had to say that I was amazed by the improvement in shifting quality. The old input turbine speed sensor, facing the bottom of the air filter housing, had a dirty tip. The counter gear speed sensor, 45 degree facing the bottom of the battery, looked clean, but I decided to replace it for the peace of mind. My experience told me weak sensors may not trigger a code. By the time they go bad/dead, for a transmission, it is too late. I purchased them from RockAuto (listed under "cruise control sensors"). The sockets for "Aisin sensor" and "Toyota sensor" are different. There is a notch in the middle for Toyota sensor, but for Aisin one it is off-center. You'll have to unplug yours to see which one fits your socket. To remove the sensor, you need to swing, twist, and pull. To install, you need to lube the o-ring with tranny fluid and make sure you push it all the way in. It is a tight fit, but an easy job. By the way, our transmission is build by Aisin Warner/Aisin Seiki, part of Toyota.

It looks like Rock Auto has 2 cruise control sensors listed for the RX. One is the Aisin Seiki for $28.79 (one in car) and the other is the Toyota for $61.99 (one in car). I am assuming that one of these is the counter gear speed sensor and the other is the input turbine speed sensor, being that each one says only 1 in car. But I would expect the sensors in the car to be the same being others have reported swapping the 2. Pictures look the same for both of these just 180 degrees out in the picture. Did you purchase one of each or 2 of the same matching the old ones?

I can see the counter gear speed sensor facing the battery but the input speed sensor is hidden by the air box. Did you remove battery and/or air box to get at these or just reach in and remove?

It looks like Rock Auto has 2 cruise control sensors listed for the RX. One is the Aisin Seiki for $28.79 (one in car) and the other is the Toyota for $61.99 (one in car). I am assuming that one of these is the counter gear speed sensor and the other is the input turbine speed sensor, being that each one says only 1 in car. But I would expect the sensors in the car to be the same being others have reported swapping the 2. Pictures look the same for both of these just 180 degrees out in the picture. Did you purchase one of each or 2 of the same matching the old ones?

I can see the counter gear speed sensor facing the battery but the input speed sensor is hidden by the air box. Did you remove battery and/or air box to get at these or just reach in and remove?

The two sensors on the tranny are the same for sure. I bought 2 Aisins, identical to the ones on my car. The Toyota will not fit mine as the notch on the socket receipting area is different (look closely). As soon as you remove the air filter box, you'll see the input turbine speed sensor. There is no need to remove the battery. The description by RockAuto is incorrect; plus they are listed under the wrong category. You may go to Beck/Arnley website to see better pictures of the sensors.

I did not go with the $28 ones, but with $61 Aisins with full manufacturer warranty. I've just checked on their website, but it was not listed anymore. They were probably out.

I just need to clarify that you bought 2 of the same part number even though Rock Auto lists that there is only one in the car. Would you still have the part # ? And once again what did you remove to get at them?

Thanks,

Mike

I did not go with the $28 ones, but with $61 Aisins with full manufacturer warranty. I've just checked on their website, but it was not listed anymore. They were probably out.

I just need to clarify that you bought 2 of the same part number even though Rock Auto lists that there is only one in the car. Would you still have the part # ? And once again what did you remove to get at them?

Thanks,

Mike

1.) Yes, 2 identical sensors BECK/ARNLEY Part #0905024. Inside the box, the sensors are labeled with Toyota genuine parts sticker #89413-24010

2.) Remove air filter box

OK, I think I have everything now. Sorry for the repeat questions before but I did not realize you did 2 posts in a row and only read the second one. I went to the Beck/Arnley site to view the images. They still make it difficult. They flip the images 180 degrees and shoot from 2 very different angles. But I can see the 2 different positions of the notch. I would have never found this in the images if you didn't mention it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Mike

1.) Yes, 2 identical sensors BECK/ARNLEY Part #0905024. Inside the box, the sensors are labeled with Toyota genuine parts sticker #89413-24010

It seems like they have only 2 of these left in stock. Does anyone know if this particular part # would work for a 2001 RX300 also? I've tried googling our year and the part specifically and don't come up with anything else.

Thanks,

Mike

It seems like they have only 2 of these left in stock. Does anyone know if this particular part # would work for a 2001 RX300 also? I've tried googling our year and the part specifically and don't come up with anything else.

The only way to tell which sensor you have is to look at one of them. See the link. You need to buy the one to fit your wiring harness. I was going to buy replacements but just cleaning worked for me.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354197