Ls 400 Side Marker Lights

RCRFAN3

It was talked about by someone who was able to hook up the side marker lamps located right next to the driving lights on a 98. Can the person who posted the conversion post the directions? Mainly looking for wiring and how to drill out the actual lens to accept a bulb. (right now the hole is filled. Thanks much in advance. Looking to do the same thing but I cannot find the person to contact. :cheers:

no one has responded yet so I will even tho I don't know what I am talking about !!!! I do not have a '98.

BUT--if you are needing to insert a bulb into the back of a housing then you may be able to use a base for a 194 'wedge' bulb available at [photo is attached]:

www.taillightking.com

you drill a hole, insert and then use a dab of silicone to hold.

If this is what you are wanting, then I suggest you get a bright white 18 watt bulb for this from:

www.autotoys.com

This is a replacement bulb for the 194 that is only 5 watts and is not good enough for what you want [also it is a yellowish white lite and unbecoming for a Lexus].

post-4-1070492822.jpg

I know what RCRfan is talking about. I think it was LS98 that was going to post some instructions on how he retrofit is 98 for the side marker lights. Last post he had said be patient he would post the instructions. I too am interested in doing the same thing with the same year car.

LS - Thanks so much for the pics and description. A couple of questions about the parts. The Double contact-Single Filament lamp holder and more importantly the Quick Connects you used. Where did you purchase those parts? Did you just get them at your local auto zone or did you utilize other sources. I agree with not putting too much power in those bulbs. Can't be good.

Suggest youall look for Xenon or 'white' bulbs for this addition. Not higher wattage as confines of this lamp wouldn't allow it.

The YELLOWISH bulb just does not match the white light of the headlights!!!!!! The bulbs are 'out there'.

I even changed the parking lites on my Gen I with PIAA super white bulbs(168/148) to match the white of the Xenon aftermarket headlite bulbs(100w/80w) I run. The original yellowish parking lites just did not look good at night since they are on with the headlites.

Had mentioned the original YELLOWISH stock parking light bulbs.

Posted photos of a stock one and one of the PIAA Xenon White bulbs I installed; in Gallery #26.

You WILL NOT believe the difference in appearance !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tan will take a look. After LS 98 posted the instructions my neighbor and I did the conversion. The actual installation was a breeze. We both have 98 LS 400s. The problem is I have HID headlights with silverstar bulbs in the driving (fog) lights. While my neighbor has regular Halogen bulbs. His lisghts look great as all the light colors match. He just needs to figure out what brightness to use. I put the 90 bulb in the socket and when everything is on I am not happy with the look. The side marker lights are the yellowish halogen color. I looked in original parts manual and the bulb that was supposed to go in there was a #192. I am thinking of using an amber colored light becasue no where can I find a white colored bulb that is as small as a #90, 194, 97, etc. I don't want a real hot bulb just one to match the white lights. I will try the amber bulb and see how that looks.

Meist: assume you looked at photos in gallery #26. The bulb I used is a 194 (wedge) !!!!! You said you couldn't find these----you WILL not find at Autozone, etc. ; they don't deal with this kind of thing. Got mine at following site:(copy & paste). might go to Google and enter Xenon bulbs if you can't find here.

BUT you will have to look close(maybe even call)--I do NOT recommend what I bought for your application---the housing is not deep enought on a '98 to handle 18watts--look for a bulb less than 10 watts in a Xenon.

Note sidelights are different than parking lites--Fed DOT requires a yellow ft. sidelight.

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024...t/catalogs/1935

Meist21 ...... I'm glad you and your friend were able to use the instructions I posted and like the results. If you want a brighter - whiter bulb use the one below.

I stayed with the #90 because it more closely matches the stock "Fog light" bulb. I understand the dilemma if you have silverstars in there. The #1004 might get you close to where you want to go. It does run a little hotter and is much whiter than the #90. The bulb is a little longer but otherwise fits fine.

I’ll edit the other post with this additional info as well.

Glad to hear you guys are on board with this low cost yet effective mod.

Let us know how it turns out.

810266DSC05270.jpg

Hey LS. The other thing I thought might look cool is to put amber colored bulbs in there. I am not looking for brighter just whiter. I have those. My neighbor did put the 1004 in there. He said when he went down the road at night it was too bright to the side of the car(like when someone pulls up next to you) I think he found something in between. His look sharp just like yours. This is the one time the damn HID color is !Removed! me up. I know I will find something. Thanks again for the great posts.