Average Owners Age

mhawkin1

just turned 21 black on black is the way to go IMO I woulda gotten one earlier but I bought my parents 07 camry for their aniversary

lol @ saabkyle, for about 2-3 months I was considering getting an infiniti too but decided to go w/ the reliable toyota esp in toronto where our roads are full of salt/snow/worlds worst drivers (toronto statistically has the worlds worst drivers :( )

OK Tom S. we all hate you too! ha ha. Did you buy your parents a Camry? Ok, you and saabkyle are the two guys who invented google!!! LOL

I know about salt and snow....Pennsylvania is the same way....but maybe not the world's worst drivers' though. But you know what, I think Boston, MA has the dubious honor for having the world's worst drivers...I think Toronto is a distant 2nd then! :)

Tom.S and saabkyle,

NICE to see our younger generation having early successes :) I am 37 and got a killer deal on a UL w/ ML; however, after driving it for 1,000 miles I decided it was not what I was looking for in a daily driver and so I purchased an IS 350 - WOW, now that is a performance ride!

BaddBoi

What??? You went to the IS??? Have fun, should be great!!! Just not the family car that I can live with.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine just bought the IS. He loves it! He and his wife are small and they do not have kids. It definitely is alot smaller. But, I was surprised that the trunk seemed to be made to fit 1 set of golf clubs (maybe 2). I still prefer the ES but the IS looks like it would be fun to drive! Have fun Baddboi70!

• 5 months later...

22 Male, and i got alot of that B.S after all the car i owned before the LEX was a BMW 850ci my friends were shoked at first but after taking them for a ride they changed there minds ;)

I am a relatively new reader of this forum and I find it very informative. I recently purchased my beautiful ES350 and I am enjoying driving it very much.

I also tested the more sporty models but found them too noisy and bumpy, so settled for an E350 which is more suitable for my age of 71 group. It's so comfortable and quiet that it should suit anyones age.

Just reading a couple responses into this thread, and I think my demographic got nailed by Lexus! I'm 34, make over $120K, and am in the process of buying an ES350 Ultra Luxury. Out of 168 used white ES350s available in the US, only 6 of them had the Panoramic roof. I'm having it shipped 2000 miles just to get it!!

• 3 months later...
I have owned my 08 ES for eight days now; the common question that is posed when my friends first see the car is - "Why didn't you get the IS?" I turned 29 on the day I picked my car up (completely coincidence) but I started to wonder what the average age was for owners of the ES, more specifically the 350? I test drove the IS twice, and did not like the car at all.

Just curious as to why I am hearing this question so often. Not that I really give a rip if they like the IS better, just shows I have better taste! ;)

(PriusChat had 'Polls' that contained this information - but I could not find this info when I searched this forum.)

Matt

HI,

I am 65 now bought an '09 ES 2 months ago 12/15/2009, bought my first lexus 11/01 an 2002 ES when I was a young 58. Loved the 02 but my wife and I go up to Atlanta every couple of months to see my Grandson(we live in South Florida) and wanted something newer. HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR ES!!

I think I fit the average age of the survey by Business Week. 54 y/o, bought my 09 level III (nav/park assist) on 1/2/09. Obidian/black...this is a great color IMO. This car exudes class and you don't have to be a certain age to have class. I think most people think that young people would want a car that has 'excitment', like your 325i, A4 , G35 or IS. I must admit I'm a little surprised to see the number of young people who say they are owners. We know it's not a cheap car and it has a rock solid reputation for reliability. A young person in this car would suggest to me that they have 'arrived'....that's cool..... B)

I think I fit the average age of the survey by Business Week. 54 y/o, bought my 09 level III (nav/park assist) on 1/2/09. Obidian/black...this is a great color IMO. This car exudes class and you don't have to be a certain age to have class. I think most people think that young people would want a car that has 'excitment', like your 325i, A4 , G35 or IS. I must admit I'm a little surprised to see the number of young people who say they are owners. We know it's not a cheap car and it has a rock solid reputation for reliability. A young person in this car would suggest to me that they have 'arrived'....that's cool..... B)

I'm 54 and bought my 2008 ES350 last November.

I am also surprised by the young owners here. I think it is a great car but not one that attracts the younger generation. The salesman told me that the ES has the highest average age of any Lexus model. He said that was why the car does not come with the shark fin for the satellite radio; it seems people in this advanced age group do not generally get Sat Radio so Lexus decided it wasn't worth adding the fin.

I was at my father's place (a retirement community in Florida) this weekend. I figure I'll fit right in in about 10 years. Literally about every 5th car was an ES of some vintage.

OH_Guy: I would think that Sat Radio would be great for older people. My Dad is 62 and he has XM radio in his van and he absolutely loves it, he listens to the 50s and 60s stations and lately the all Frank Sinatra station. On the other hand I have an XM radio in my ES but I rarely use it, I mostly use my iPhone or CDs.

OH_Guy: I would think that Sat Radio would be great for older people. My Dad is 62 and he has XM radio in his van and he absolutely loves it, he listens to the 50s and 60s stations and lately the all Frank Sinatra station. On the other hand I have an XM radio in my ES but I rarely use it, I mostly use my iPhone or CDs.

Kyle,

That is what I thought too, but stats show otherwise. Also surprised me how few senior citizens get the NAV system with it rearview camera. I'd think seniors would want that (more visibility, less need to twist to see behind you) but very few new ES's in FL had the camera on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 69 years old and still love cars. Just got a 09 ES with nav and the whole works. Cars have been my life and I thought it was time for some luxury. Looked at CTS but it did not compare and to get all these goodies it would have cost 50K. I believe this is a far nicer car. I love it.

Remember: "HE who dies with the most toys wins"

My father always said “He who dies with the most toys wins.” I always countered with “He who dies with the most toys, still dies.” He still says “When I die, anything my kids get from me will be used.” :)

The stats showing the ES as having the highest average age of ownership in the Lexus model line up are based on 20 years of data (1989-2009). I would argue that 1997-2001 and 2007-2009 are the only models that have any ‘sportiness’ about them (meaning, a quality that might attract younger buyers). So, eight years out of 20 (40%) could infer that the overall statement is eschewed, a bit. I will stop short of a regression analysis.

My humble opinion of the model years:

1989-1991 rebadged Camry (4th Place); 92-96 ‘ok’ – very Japanese looking (3rd Place); 97-2001 (*close* 2nd Place); 2002-2006 Japanese Buick (Last Place); 2007-09 (1st Place).

07-09 and the 00-01 are a near tie for me.

And I’m done. ;)

I have owned my 08 ES for eight days now; the common question that is posed when my friends first see the car is - "Why didn't you get the IS?" I turned 29 on the day I picked my car up (completely coincidence) but I started to wonder what the average age was for owners of the ES, more specifically the 350? I test drove the IS twice, and did not like the car at all.

Just curious as to why I am hearing this question so often. Not that I really give a rip if they like the IS better, just shows I have better taste! ;)

(PriusChat had 'Polls' that contained this information - but I could not find this info when I searched this forum.)

Matt

I just purchased my ES 350 yesterday, and i am 35. i also test drove the IS, and while i enjoyed driving it very much, i realized that when push comes to shove, i preferred the smooth, comfortable ride of the ES, as most of my commute is on the highway. i also like the fact that i can have passengers in the back seat w/out making them angry for not getting to ride shotgun.

as far as looks go, sure...the IS is more sporty looking, but since they redesigned the ES in '07, it's not so fuddy-duddy. and the ride is pure luxury...i actually don't even mind being stuck in traffic anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt

Hi Matt, I own the 08 es 350 and my wife owns and loves the 08 IS 250 awd. I drive hers enough to know the pros and cons compared to one another. I like the quiter ride, the roomier interior size, and the trunk room when we travel 1500 miles each way to key west. Trips that long would not be as comfortable in the IS. I'm 5'10, 195 and the IS is a little cramped for me. She is 5'4, 125 and loves small cars like her previous Carolla. I notice the tire/road noise in her car and the stiffer suspension. If someone is in the back seat the seat belt recepticals jab that person in the hip area. It drives great, looks awsome and the brakes are the best I've ever experienced. That being said, I still would take the ES over the IS because comfort is much more important to me than looks. Although I am 69 and my wife is 65 I still would have felt this way in my 30's. As to how to reply to the people who pose that question, suggest that they experience driving them both (at the dealer, not your car), and then tell you which one they would choose.

Once doing so they may understand why you chose the ES. One thing is for sure, they are both great cars. JIm B