Average Owners Age

mhawkin1

I have owned my 08 ES for eight days now; the common question that is posed when my friends first see the car is - "Why didn't you get the IS?" I turned 29 on the day I picked my car up (completely coincidence) but I started to wonder what the average age was for owners of the ES, more specifically the 350? I test drove the IS twice, and did not like the car at all.

Just curious as to why I am hearing this question so often. Not that I really give a rip if they like the IS better, just shows I have better taste! ;)

(PriusChat had 'Polls' that contained this information - but I could not find this info when I searched this forum.)

Matt

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average age is somewhere in the high 50s. Its probably somewhat lower for the 350 than for my generation, its a little sportier.

I'm like you, cars like the IS and the 3 series BMW have no appeal to me. I like a large comfortable sedan. We are however odd for our age (I'm 26).

I bought mine about a year and a half ago at 41 (which I still consider to be young). In Boca Raton, where I work, (and the average population are retirees and is over 65 years old) every other car is a ES350 driven by a little old man or lady. In Orlando or other parts of Florida, the ES350 is not a popular. Even rare. The average age is also younger.

So yes, we did buy a car where the average owner is older that us.(I'm still young... I'm still young...I'm still young) :D :D

My wife said it is indicative of my good taste. (hmmmmm.......) :blushing:

Anyway, the IS (even the 350) is too small. I have kids and they have no room in the back for them. I love the roominess if the ES.

I have owned my 08 ES for eight days now; the common question that is posed when my friends first see the car is - "Why didn't you get the IS?" I turned 29 on the day I picked my car up (completely coincidence) but I started to wonder what the average age was for owners of the ES, more specifically the 350? I test drove the IS twice, and did not like the car at all.

Just curious as to why I am hearing this question so often. Not that I really give a rip if they like the IS better, just shows I have better taste! ;)

(PriusChat had 'Polls' that contained this information - but I could not find this info when I searched this forum.)

Matt

I think I remember reading somewhere, probably on this board, that Lexus' target consumer for the ES was a 35 year-old male with an average income of around $125K per year.

I think I would have to agree with Steve though. Most ES owners I know, and Lexus owners in general, are somewhere in their 50s.

My wife bought her 07 ES350 in January and she turns 64 on April 1st. She would kill be for giving out her age. I bought a 07 LS460 last March at the age of 64 so we will be raising the average age. We both love our rides.

Looks like I found my answer in BusinessWeek -

"This ES 350 also isn't particularly youth-oriented. The average age of buyers is 56, a year more than for the Cadillac CTS. By contrast, the average buyer's age is 42 for the BMW 328i, 43 for Nissan's Infiniti G35, and 45 for Honda's (HMC) Acura TL."

Had I not had a child, and planning for more, I would have probably gone with the IS. Having children also eliminated a lot of other cars off the list, the 300 series, the c-class, the Infiniti G just do not seem like vehicles you can have families with. Plus, I love my ES350! Out here in AZ I do not see as many as in Boca (used to live there), people seem to like SUVs and P/Us more than anything. I am 43, bringing the average down... As GrantS says, "I am still young!"

Looks like I found my answer in BusinessWeek -

"This ES 350 also isn't particularly youth-oriented. The average age of buyers is 56, a year more than for the Cadillac CTS. By contrast, the average buyer's age is 42 for the BMW 328i, 43 for Nissan's Infiniti G35, and 45 for Honda's (HMC) Acura TL."

Hey, this just means we are smarter than the average 42 year old OR the 42 year old has no kids or just one passenger to drive with if they go to the BMW 3, Infinit G or TL!! :)

Matt

We purchased our ES350 almost two years ago I was age 54 and the wife was 49, she drives

the car about 90% of time. I picked the ES because I felt it would be a better car than the BMW

that the wife wanted.

I bought an ES 350 last weekend and I am 46. I had had a Saab 9-3 for more than nine years. ES 350 is my first automatic shift too. I got a gray exterior/black interior with Premium Plus package. So far happy. I just experimented with sport shifting today after a mild nostalgic longing for the Saab. I think ES 350 is sporty enough for me. I test drove MB C-Class (small since I want to take the car for more of the family outings, instead of wife's van) and Inifiniti G35 (noisy engine and gaudy interior).

I got some minor complaints and the dealership has promised to resolve it early next week.

I think when I bought mine the average was $125k so that makes sense.

It also depends on where you live. In Minnesota you might be able to afford a new ES350 on a $75,000 a year income, but here for instance it'd be tough...forget about it on a 3 year financing deal. It'd be hard enough on a 5 year financing deal because the cost of living is so high...

How about top notch performer like the GS460 or the hybrid version. Roomy like the ES, performs better than the IS.

The LS 460 is really the Ultimate though.

You are probably right there TomWoodLexus....but I have to tell you, I looked hard at the GS350 before I bought my ES. I just didn't see the "best value" for the additional monies. It wasn't about being able to afford it either, it was that the room in the ES (interior and trunk) which was much better than the GS. I liked the outside and inside styling more in the GS but it wasn't worth it to me. Now, maybe the GS460 is better but if it had all the AWD stuff (like less trunk space and the hump in the driver's well), I still wouldn't get it. Now, the LS is a different story...maybe that will be my next car...not sure though! Need to make more money because that would be an affordability issue!

How about top notch performer like the GS460 or the hybrid version. Roomy like the ES, performs better than the IS.

The LS 460 is really the Ultimate though.

You are probably right there TomWoodLexus....but I have to tell you, I looked hard at the GS350 before I bought my ES. I just didn't see the "best value" for the additional monies. It wasn't about being able to afford it either, it was that the room in the ES (interior and trunk) which was much better than the GS. I liked the outside and inside styling more in the GS but it wasn't worth it to me. Now, maybe the GS460 is better but if it had all the AWD stuff (like less trunk space and the hump in the driver's well), I still wouldn't get it. Now, the LS is a different story...maybe that will be my next car...not sure though! Need to make more money because that would be an affordability issue!

Yes, the LS, I want it to be my next car too! Someday...