If You Had To Choose Something Other Than A Lexus...

I love the RX330/350 - but the headroom is about 3/4" too little to support my 6'3" frame with a long torso.

So if you had to pick a non-Lexus....what would YOU have picked that has somewhat similar luxury and driving characteristics?

Bud H

I love the RX330/350 - but the headroom is about 3/4" too little to support my 6'3" frame with a long torso.

So if you had to pick a non-Lexus....what would YOU have picked that has somewhat similar luxury and driving characteristics?

Bud H

I'm only 6 feet tall but also have a "long torso", so I use a little tilt and I'm happy. The seat is at its lowest position, of course. After having to be practically laid back into the back seat with my '01 Acura TL, it feels almost upright in the RX.

For anything else, go by the manufacturers' specs for headroom on Kelly Blue Book or Edmonds

When shopping for a new snow vehicle for our family of one kid and one smallish dog, we drove the MDX and Subaru Outback XT.

The MDX did not feel as comfortable and had a bit more body roll than the RX. It felt bigger than the Lexus (it is), but I much preferred the Acura all wheel drive system to the Lexus set up. The gas mileage was also a bit worse than the Lexus.

The Outback was a smaller vehicle, and as a result it was much faster/responsive and much better at cornering, although it had quite a lot of body roll compared to vehicles I've driven in the past. The visibility was also superior to either of the taller SUV's. Like the Acura, I preferred the Subaru all wheel drive system to the Lexus. Hopefully I'm not in the market for a new set of RX wheels with winter tires next season for Tahoe trips...we'll see how the fancy electronics do as a substitute for real differentials!

In the end we went with the Lexus because it was the most comfortable, but I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any of these vehicles from a utilitarian and reliability stand point. The reliability is why we didn't bother test driving German utility vehicles, and the comfort is why we strayed away from most others...

• 2 weeks later...

I WOULD SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND PURCHASE A BMW X3 OR X5 OR BENZ. ML350. I HATE, YES HATE MY WIFES 2008 RX350. THE DEAL WAS GOOD, BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. THE RX IS 5 YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY. THE NAV DOES NOT HAVE REAL TIME TRAFFIC, THE CAR IS GOING TO LOOK OLD WHEN THE 2010 MODEL COMES OUT AND I THINK THE BUILD QUALITY IS SLIPPING BIG TIME. BMW STILL HAS SERVICE INCLUDED. I TRADE BEFORE THE WARRENTY IS UP SO LONG TERM SERVICE ISSUES IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME. WITH LEXUS YOU GET THE LUXURY LOOK AT MUCH LOWER PRICE. THE GERMAN OFFERINGS HAVE A MORE ROBUST AWD/4WD SYSTEM.

Junxus,

There is no need to shout. With all due respect, it sounds like you didn't research your purchase very well. Most of the things you are complaining about are easily researched such as the features of the GPS system, the warranty coverage and the type of AWD system. If that stuff was important to you, you should have weighed that in your decision before making the purchase.

I did research the car. It was for my wife, and the issues, the nav and other things she did not care about (she never uses the Nav she just wanted the rear view camera). She likes the look and the way it drives. When the wife is happy everyone in the house is happy. I am sure she would post positive vs negative things regarding the RX. But my answer to the post is as stated earlier.

The RX is fine for the wife but not for me. When the weather is good she prefers her Jag.

People should not ask for alternatives to the RX and not be able to accept other opinions.

I WOULD SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND PURCHASE A BMW X3 OR X5 OR BENZ. ML350. I HATE, YES HATE MY WIFES 2008 RX350. THE DEAL WAS GOOD, BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. THE RX IS 5 YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY. THE NAV DOES NOT HAVE REAL TIME TRAFFIC, THE CAR IS GOING TO LOOK OLD WHEN THE 2010 MODEL COMES OUT AND I THINK THE BUILD QUALITY IS SLIPPING BIG TIME. BMW STILL HAS SERVICE INCLUDED. I TRADE BEFORE THE WARRENTY IS UP SO LONG TERM SERVICE ISSUES IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME. WITH LEXUS YOU GET THE LUXURY LOOK AT MUCH LOWER PRICE. THE GERMAN OFFERINGS HAVE A MORE ROBUST AWD/4WD SYSTEM.

Ya Junkas! Why are you screaming?? :o

:P I am not screaming. Just stating my opinion. I traded my GMC Denali XL (my car) for a BMW X5 (I pick it up on Friday). Now Dad and Mom are happy.:cheers: I think the target market for the RX is for woman anyway. My wife says she likes the RX.

Were I to have to give up my '01 AWD RX300 for some insane reason I guess my choice might be the RDX. IMMHO the SH-AWD system is the absolute best for vehicles with sideways mounted engines. My backup choice would be the X3 with manual transmission, but only with wife's permission.

I would look at an Acura MDX or an Infiniti FX35 (great vehicle, but getting a little outdated. Although so is the RX).

I actually would seriously look at the new Nissan Murano. I drove one the other day and was extremely impressed with it.

• 4 weeks later...
Gotcha! It's funny, my wife really wanted the Nav package for the back up camera, as well. The vehicle was purchased because she loved the smooth ride and quietness of the thing...a driver's vehicle it is not! I'm saving up for a noisy, raucous beast myself. ;)

I hear ya...I much prefer my "raucous beast" to driving the RX...but they both have their place/purpose...here's my raucous beast:

100_0558-1.jpg

Not as refined as the RX...but WAY more "engaging" B)

We did not get a Lexus, but owned a GS400 from 1999-2001. I LOVED that car, but it was owned by the company and got sold at 50,000 miles. We did look at an RX350 (nav, etc.) last fall, but decided that the GMC Acadia would be the best choice as it was the largest, and had reasonable build quality. If it were my choice, we would have got the Lexus, but 7-passenger seating was a MUST, so... I guess my 2nd choice would have been the Acura MDX or Mercedes ML350. :)

We did not get a Lexus, but owned a GS400 from 1999-2001. I LOVED that car, but it was owned by the company and got sold at 50,000 miles. We did look at an RX350 (nav, etc.) last fall, but decided that the GMC Acadia would be the best choice as it was the largest, and had reasonable build quality. If it were my choice, we would have got the Lexus, but 7-passenger seating was a MUST, so... I guess my 2nd choice would have been the Acura MDX or Mercedes ML350. :)

Get the MDX if you want a shop queen, transmissions are junk. :(

• 3 weeks later...

We went through the same dilemma last year. We loved our RX 300, but due an enlarging family we needed 7 person and fold away seats. This eliminated the GX and LX. We really liked the MDX, but the premium fuel was a con. We settled on the Volvo XC 90. Surprisingly we're getting as good gas mileage as our frinds who have MDXs. We brought the cost of XC 90 down by taking advantage of the Volvo factory delivery program and the option package specials. Volvo provides roundtrip for two to Sweden, transfers, hotel, Swedish registration and insurance, and ships the car back to the states.

Although Sweden wasn't on European travel list , we did enjoy it. We've been to most other European countries. Our RX will be a tough act to follow.

I see an Acura RDX in my future, maybe...

I was initially attracted to the RDX because upon reading about the SH-AWD system in detail, viewing the on line videos, etc, I decided it had to be the absolute best F/AWD system in existance today.

F/AWD = Front torque biased AWD system, most with a sideways mounted engine or derived from a FWD "base".

I currently have a 2001 AWD RX300. The RX's F/AWD system is just barely adequate provided you have an early one with a VC, Viscous Coupling, mounted across the center diff'l. The VC will, on rare occassion, help to provide increased torque to the rear drive line, as much as 75/25 F/R vs the normal ~95/5.

As shipped the RX cannot have tire chains mounted on the rear wheels due to TOO TIGHT clearance between the tread and suspension. I added 1.5" wheel spacers all around so as to be able to use rear tire chains FIRST and ONLY, for reasons of safety. When the tire chains are fitted, rarely here on the Seattle eastside, the VC will tighten up the center diff'l a little quicker due to the F/R wheel circumference variation. An obvious additional plus from the spacers is a slightly wider stance and therefore more stability.

So I test drove one of the early RDX's. I was impressed overall but didn't have a chance to really try out the SH-AWD system. Two other aspects of the RDX kept me from following up. A minor one was the seeming to me, CLUTTER, of the center dash instrument (non-tech)area. But a more important one was the fact that the turbo would come on line with even the slighest additional pressure on the gas pedal.

I suspected that would result in rather poor gas mileage in comparison to my RX and as many of you now know that proved to be the case. Because of the turbo boost capability the RDX engine compression ratio is ~8:1. But that low 8:1 ratio results in a severe lack of early onset of torque until the turbo spools up.

So, let's dream a bit, just a bit.

Assume I have just won the lottery.

I would immediately buy a new RDX and turn it over to a group of students at Western Washington State college with the following instructions/goals.

Convert the engine to the Miller Cycle.

Discard the turbo and instead use a lightweight low inerta carbon fiber positive displacement SuperCharger. The SC would be engine belt driven, primarily, but via a Toyota HSD type CVT/diff'l. The opposite input to the CVT/diff'l would be a 2-3HP synchronous AC motor, the motor itself driven by a variable frequency inverter such as Toyota uses for the various HSD drives including the Prius' A/C compressor.

The engine would use a Porsche VarioCam-Plus intake valve lift system to vary the effective Miller Cycle compression ratio from 13:1 to ~8:1. 13:1 during idle or light load cruising, but as boost came on, rises, due to increased gas pedal depression or engine loading the compression ratio would rise linearly until at FULL BOOST the compression ratio would be ~8:1.

There would be no need for a throttle plate, the VARIABLE SPEED positive displacement SC would provide the engine throttling functionality.

Obviously there would be no turbo spool-up delay.

Probably yeild more HP/Torque than stock plus STELLAR FE, so much so that a smaller engine might be more appropreate.

Questions..??

As shipped the RX cannot have tire chains mounted on the rear wheels due to TOO TIGHT clearance between the tread and suspension. I added 1.5" wheel spacers all around so as to be able to use rear tire chains FIRST and ONLY, for reasons of safety. When the tire chains are fitted, rarely here on the Seattle eastside, the VC will tighten up the center diff'l a little quicker due to the F/R wheel circumference variation. An obvious additional plus from the spacers is a slightly wider stance and therefore more stability.

Yah, I got a question. How do you figure that chains on the back are SAFER!

I mean, sure, you're overheating the VC and causing it to do its best to lock up, but how the heck do you plan on steering? :lol:

Yah, I got a question. How do you figure that chains on the back are SAFER!

I mean, sure, you're overheating the VC and causing it to do its best to lock up, but how the heck do you plan on steering? :lol:

First, during the winter months I always carry a second set for the front just in case of need.

The answer to the safer question is in your owners manual:

Higher traction on the front wheels vs the rear has a greater potential for leading to loss of directional control in adverse roadbed conditions. Just think of a tractor/trailer rig going downhill while braking to maintain a slow descent speed but with NO rear drag chains.

If I were looking for an SUV, and the Lexus RX was not a choice, then I would probably get the Nissan Murano. I don't like the Infinty FX at all.

I've been car shopping for everything in the last 4 months. Currently own a Yukon Denali loaded out. Don't need a full-sized SUV, since I'm the only one who drives and rides in it. I test drove the BMW X series. X3 is rough on the road, but economical, and the X5 is a beast and loved everything about it, but read about 200 reviews across different websites, and most everything was the same...best ride and options in the business, but mechanics dream, regardless of the year. I was considering the new bodystyle, but there are many complaints of electrical problems. Don't have time for that! The MDX felt tight, dark, and very enclosed, and the dash was very distracting to operate. The Volvo was a nice feel, but the middle row seats didn't adjust, and I couldn't imagine getting stuck riding on a road trip back there, and sitting straight up and down. The Infiniti Series are very ugly, and very rough ride. Don't care to have another domestic car, secondary to the reliabililty and resale factors. The Audi was great, but console hard to operate. The Lincoln MDX would be my 3rd choice behind the 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited, but the resale value of the Lincoln blows. I'm currently looking for a used Lexus RX400h with all my favorites. Hope to buy one in the next two weeks and become officially initiated!

I've been car shopping for everything in the last 4 months. Currently own a Yukon Denali loaded out. Don't need a full-sized SUV, since I'm the only one who drives and rides in it. I test drove the BMW X series. X3 is rough on the road, but economical, and the X5 is a beast and loved everything about it, but read about 200 reviews across different websites, and most everything was the same...best ride and options in the business, but mechanics dream, regardless of the year. I was considering the new bodystyle, but there are many complaints of electrical problems. Don't have time for that! The MDX felt tight, dark, and very enclosed, and the dash was very distracting to operate. The Volvo was a nice feel, but the middle row seats didn't adjust, and I couldn't imagine getting stuck riding on a road trip back there, and sitting straight up and down. The Infiniti Series are very ugly, and very rough ride. Don't care to have another domestic car, secondary to the reliabililty and resale factors. The Audi was great, but console hard to operate. The Lincoln MDX would be my 3rd choice behind the 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited, but the resale value of the Lincoln blows. I'm currently looking for a used Lexus RX400h with all my favorites. Hope to buy one in the next two weeks and become officially initiated!

"...looking for a USED Lexus RX400h...."

Well, good luck with THAT.....!!!