Want To Buy 2009 Rx350

Hello all!

I'm looking at purchasing a 2009 Lexus RX350 and have been doing some research, hence finding this board!

Currently I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner LTD which I absolutely LOVE! But, she's now 8 years old and just

over 100,000 kms and I would like a new vehicle. I had been looking at the Acura MDX and the RX350.

Looking at reviews etc, I think the 350 is a far better vehicle.

I want to get it fully loaded (every option available). Does anybody own one with all the extras? Any reviews?

I noticed on the US site (I'm in Canada) that 'laser cruise control' is an option but I don't see that in Canada.

I have yet to go on a test drive (will be doing that soon), so I'm still at the 'research' stage.

Thanks for any feedback :)

100,000 km = ~ 62,000 miles. It's hardly broken in! The most cost-effective way to go is keep what you've got! That 4Runner ought to go 200K with very few problems.

The MDX is better handling and is more "masculine" but casts a bigger shadow and has worse mileage. The RX has slightly wishy-washy handling but goes where you point it and gets decent highway mileage with excellent comfort. (For example, my trip computer shows 27.3 mpg but actual miles traveled / gallons pumped = 26 mpg. I have no idea what that is in litres per 110 km.)

For all you drive, you could pick up a year-or-two-old RX and save all that depreciation. Just be aware that some members of this forum have found that the Canadian-built (Cambridge, ON Toyota plant) Lexi have had a few more problems than the Japanese-built Lexi.

I have an '07 -350 and an '03 MDX. The MDX is excellent and I find it more comfortable than the RX. Don't pass up a test drive in the MDX, you'll be impressed.

Ya they arre nice if you want a shop queen, as they have mega transmissions problems (major).

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all!

I'm looking at purchasing a 2009 Lexus RX350 and have been doing some research, hence finding this board!

Currently I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner LTD which I absolutely LOVE! But, she's now 8 years old and just

over 100,000 kms and I would like a new vehicle. I had been looking at the Acura MDX and the RX350.

I want to get it fully loaded (every option available). Does anybody own one with all the extras? Any reviews?

I noticed on the US site (I'm in Canada) that 'laser cruise control' is an option but I don't see that in Canada.

I have yet to go on a test drive (will be doing that soon), so I'm still at the 'research' stage.

Hey Toyotafan,

To make my wife happy, we just got our 09 RX350 this past Saturday 3/29/08. And since this is an 09 model, I am crossing my fingers that Toyota has fixed most if not all of the problems(relating to RX350) that are posted on this forum. I did the same research/comparison between the 08 MDX and 08/09 RX350. The RX350 we have is not fully loaded; it has Nav w/ the premium plus package(MSRP around $46396.00). So far it is a very comfortable car when driven on paved road. We had to purchase an 09 since the 08's are pretty much sold out and my wife only likes Silver for exterior color. Anyway, happy hunting.

Hey Toyotafan,

To make my wife happy, we just got our 09 RX350 this past Saturday 3/29/08. And since this is an 09 model, I am crossing my fingers that Toyota has fixed most if not all of the problems(relating to RX350) that are posted on this forum. I did the same research/comparison between the 08 MDX and 08/09 RX350. The RX350 we have is not fully loaded; it has Nav w/ the premium plus package(MSRP around $46396.00). So far it is a very comfortable car when driven on paved road. We had to purchase an 09 since the 08's are pretty much sold out and my wife only likes Silver for exterior color. Anyway, happy hunting.

Pho_Tai, if you don't mind I'm asking, how much did you get for your RX350? Which location?

The MDX is better handling and is more "masculine" but casts a bigger shadow and has worse mileage. The RX has slightly wishy-washy handling but goes where you point it and gets decent highway mileage with excellent comfort.

My wife and I test drove both, and I personally think both vehicles handle very poorly, but as expected: like a Camry with a 600 pound box strapped to the top! However, handling is a very subjective thing, so I'll leave it at that. :)

I have an '07 -350 and an '03 MDX. The MDX is excellent and I find it more comfortable than the RX. Don't pass up a test drive in the MDX, you'll be impressed.

Interesting!

Definitely drive both vehicles. We found the RX seemed nicer and more comfortable, but again, that is very subjective. If I lived somewhere that got a lot of snow, I'd probably have leaned towards the MDX as it has a much better all wheel drive system. We use our AWD occasionally for trips to Tahoe and I think it will be ok, but if I had to live in the snow I'm not sure I would chance it.

The vehicle we purchased does not have the Levinson audio, air suspension, adaptive cruise control or rear DVD. I think it's got everything else. I guess I don't have a lot to comment on in that department...the back up camera integrated with the Nav is nice for making sure there are no kids playing behind the vehicle when backing it up, and has proven useful in parallel parking. I like the stock stereo just fine, although it seems that others do not. We've really enjoyed the driver's pre-set function and heated seats.

Happy hunting!

Hey Toyotafan,

Pho_Tai, if you don't mind I'm asking, how much did you get for your RX350? Which location?

Hey ilovelexus2007,

I was able to get the RX350 for slightly under $46k out-the-door in Indiana; still pricey though.

Hey ilovelexus2007,

I was able to get the RX350 for slightly under $46k out-the-door in Indiana; still pricey though.

Pho_Tai, thanks for the info. So you were able to get around 1K off the MSRP? I got about 2.3K off the MSRP from Minnesota, but I heard people on this board was able to get 3-5K off their MSRP, I wonder how they did it. (sigh)

Hello all!

ToyotaFan:

When looking at a new car we test drove the Acura MDX (w/ Sport Package), Lexus RX350 (w/ everything but Levinson and DVD entertainment), and a GMC Acadia (SLT-2, every option). Our main buying points were more space (preferably 7 passenger) and luxury.

When we went to test the RX, I absolutely loved it, but unfortunately it only seats 5 passengers and didn't have the cargo room I was looking for. The ride was great; very quiet and luxurious, but it did not handle nearly as well as the MDX. It was the most expensive of the three, costing ~$46,000.

The MDX was a great car. I didn't like it as much as the RX, but it was very nice. Handling was superb, but I hated the navigation setup; it has an iDrive like controller, but it took about 8 minutes to program in our address vs. our BMW 5-Series which takes about 3 minutes. Technology wise, while it had a great sound system and higher resolution screen, I felt it wasn't up to par with the Lexus.

We are GM Card holders, so we got a $3,500 discount on the GMC Acadia which I loved. It's large and roomy, but more agile than a minivan. In terms of technology it doesn't come close to either the Lexus or Acura, but having a touch-screen nav is very nice. As you can probably tell, we chose this vehicle for its size and price... (we're getting ~$9,000 off the MSRP)

If I was going to be the main driver of the vehicle, I would have chose the Lexus, but since we needed the extra space, the GMC Acadia really gets the job done well.

Good Luck,

Simon :)

Hey Toyotafan,

When I purchased my 2004 RX330...I researched Edmund's message boards & went to dealership with info. Purchased car w/premium package (also had larger tires) for $35,500. Think MSRP was approx. $42k w/premimum package. One Lexus dealership wouldn't budge, so just went to another one & they matched price.

Hey ilovelexus2007,

Pho_Tai, thanks for the info. So you were able to get around 1K off the MSRP? I got about 2.3K off the MSRP from Minnesota, but I heard people on this board was able to get 3-5K off their MSRP, I wonder how they did it. (sigh)

ilovelexus,

I am just curious. Was the price you got an out-the-door price? And is your vehicle is an '08 RX400h?

Hey ilovelexus2007,

ilovelexus,

I am just curious. Was the price you got an out-the-door price? And is your vehicle is an '08 RX400h?

If you meant the "out-the-door price" is the total price excluding tax + license, then yes. I got '08 RX400h for 48K, MSRP was $50,420.

Hey ilovelexus2007,

ilovelexus,

If you meant the "out-the-door price" is the total price excluding tax + license, then yes. I got '08 RX400h for 48K, MSRP was $50,420.

ilovelexus,

The "out-the-door" price I am mentioning is tax, doc fees, temp plate, etc.. all included.

In a few months your tire pressure warning light will come on and you can play 5 way roulette to find the low tire. My son has an 07 RX-350, my wife an 08 RX-350. Both have the same annoying problem. I suppose that any car with a TPMS would have this, but on a $40 - 50 K car I would expect it to tell you which tire is low - especially with such a sensitive TPMS.

Steve

In a few months your tire pressure warning light will come on and you can play 5 way roulette to find the low tire. My son has an 07 RX-350, my wife an 08 RX-350. Both have the same annoying problem. I suppose that any car with a TPMS would have this, but on a $40 - 50 K car I would expect it to tell you which tire is low - especially with such a sensitive TPMS.

Steve

No offense, but you should check your cold tire pressures *at least* once a month with, or without a tire pressure monitoring system. Particularly if you're rolling around in a 4,000+ pound vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

We were able to buy our 09 w/nav&backup camera (no Levinson/DVD/adaptive cc) for $500 over invoice last Thursday. We're USAA members but didn't fill out any special paperwork, so I believe anyone could buy one for the same - turned out to be $41,583 (MSRP was just under $46k) +taxes/tags.

• 4 weeks later...

You should have a long look at the 2009 Nissan Murano, I just purchased a 2009 RX350...would like to have my 2006 Murano back or better still the new 2009 Murano in which they have made many changes and at a much lower cost.

When buying any product, it always pays to look at the competition - if nothing else to give you some bargaining power. We recently purchased a 2009 Pebble Beach Edition to replace our 2002 RX 300 Coach Edition and felt it represented the best overall value when compared to Mercedes, BMW and Volvo offerings - but that's for us. We used to own Acura and they are a fine brand as well. There are a lot of premium quality SUV/CUV products out there. Drive them all, do lots of research on the web and decide what's best for you. Automobiles like music and food are very personal choices and if you look enough you'll know what's right for you.

My husband and I have been looking at the RX350, RX400h, and 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited (and hybrid model). We test drove a 2009 RX350 at Tom Wood Lexus two weeks ago. It was the premium plus package, and MSRP was 42K. Our salesman told us we could walk out the door with it for 37K. I've test driven the BMW X3-X5, Acura MDX, Volvo XC90, Lincoln MKX, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Audi Q7, the 2008 Toyota Highlander Series, the Infiniti SUVs, and now the Lexus RX350. I currently own a GMC Yukon Denali, w/every possible option, so trying to find a mid-size SUV with the feel of my air suspension on the Denali, has been tough. I'll add that I have a low back herniated disc, so I feel everything from the road, so the ride, and the seat comfort is essential. So far, the Lexus is my absolute favorite. I really liked the BMW X5, but I'm not excited about being in the shop with repairs all the time, and that's all I've read about. The GMC Acadia has very poor reliability for it's first year out. The Buick was nice, but looks too much like a minivan. The Acura's seats were hard to get comfortable to, and I don't understand why one can spend 40K on something that doesn't put the same features on the front passenger seat (lumbar support, complete power seats, seat heaters), as the driver's seat. That's so irritating! Why doesn't Toyota put memory seats on a vehicle that costs 40K? The Lincoln was a decent drive, but doesn't hold its value at all. The only thing I wish the Lexus RX series included was the smart-key system, and a pano sunroof. I'm not goint to complain though, because I'm grateful to have found something that gets nice fuel mileage, retains its value, and gives that similar air suspension feeling, without having to add air suspension.

I'm looking forward to purchasing one in the next few weeks. Most likely, a hybrid!