Yet Another Question

chadmg7

A question for all of you...

When you first start your ES in the morning (in the garage, not outside) how many times does it take to turn over? How many times does it sound like it is turning over as you are holding the key to the right? Is about 6 times normal? I don't mean to imply that it takes several different key turns to start. I mean that from the time I put the key into the ignition and turn it, it takes about 2-3 seconds. Maybe a better way to say this is how many times does it sound like the engine is "firing" or "cranking"? My friend has a similar ES and his takes about the same amount of time. I am just wondering if it is normal. Thanks.

chad, that very slight delay that you experience is characteristic of Toyota/Lexus.

my previous SSEi started immediately, meaning as soon as the key went to the "start" position engine was running.

my Lexus requires a very slight hesitation in the start positon until the engine catches (we are talking less than 2 seconds). This is the same on my friends' 04 Sienna Minivan, 98 Avalon, 97 ES, 95 Toyo short bed, 2000 Land Cruiser, and the list continues.

It is not a chad thing, it is a Toyota thing. The most important thing is the car started.

motor on in enjoyment.

steviej

Maybe a slight lag, but 3 seconds to me sound excessive. Toyota starters like you say are very uniform. If we're walking through a parking garage and a car starts I can immediately tell you if its a Toyota/Lexus. Its not 3 seconds though...

Mine usually starts on the first or second turn over. Sometimes I have to hold the key for 1-2 seconds, usually when its cold (like winter cold, not engine cold).

Actually that reminds me, the other day I parked, and then about 20 min later I started again, and it almost didn't start. The engine was warm, and it turned over about 5-10 times before I gave it a touch of gas and it started. The battery is less than 6 months old (Die Hard Gold). It's never done this before in the 6 months I've had it, and hasn't done it since, even when the engine is icy cold (the high was 35 today, and it started up beautifully). Any ideas?

I did notice that once in a while when I start the engine after letting it sit for only a couple of minutes or a few seconds (as in when I fill up with gas) it starts a little funny. Like there is still gas in the line or something. It turns over and then starts different than usual. Like I said, this has happened like once or twice in 5 months.

Several seconds for starting seems excessive. Any modern car should start up essentially right away unless it's very cold.

You didn't mention the age of the car or its condition. Is it approaching time for a tuneup? Old plugs would cause a delay in starting - as would a number of other problems.

My concern is that if it's taking a few seconds to start during the summer and fall, you might be in for a rude surprise when it gets really cold this winter.

Well, it does not seem too long. I probably should not have written the "3" in 2-3 seconds. It just seems like it. I timed it this morning and it is more like 1-2 seconds. It only does this after it's been sitting overnight or from 8am to 5pm in the parking lot outside. I don't think anything is wrong with it, as my mechanic just checked it over and said everything was A-OK. Who knows... :lol:

Thanks for your help everyone! :D

please tell me how you find the maf has a lot to do with starting?

This is a revalation to me.

The ECU needs the MAF signal for supplying proper amount of fuel, whether for starting, idling, or running...

I had a MR2 with a bad MAF and I always have to crank longer than I like and it doesn't accelerate as it should...the problem was fixed with a new MAF...so I thought it was worth a shot to look at...