Timing Belt

Hi Guys,

I have an ES300 1995 purchased a few month ago, Loving it.

I have to change my valve cover gasket, i did some research in this forum & noticed it is a common thing.

My question is; i would be going to my local garage to fix this. (general mechanics)

The timing belt has never been changed i would like to do it at the same time, but would

a local mechanics be able to change the timing belt without a problem or it is a bit more touchy??

Also, should I flush out the tranny oil with new, some ppl tell me if the level is good dont change it since it is an old car.

Thanks,

Hi Guys,

I have to change my valve cover gasket, i did some research in this forum & noticed it is a common thing.

My question is; i would be going to my local garage to fix this. (general mechanics)

The timing belt has never been changed i would like to do it at the same time, but would

a local mechanics be able to change the timing belt without a problem or it is a bit more touchy??

Also, should I flush out the tranny oil with new, some ppl tell me if the level is good dont change it since it is an old car.

Thanks,

Replacing the timing belt/water pump is probably going to cost significantly more than just the valve cover gaskets alone. If you don't travel out of town much, and wouldn't mind being stranded if the belt broke, it is o.k. to wait for that to happen. Your ES has a non-interference engine.

Absolutley change the transmission fluid. Some people say when it gets to that age "the old fluid is holding it together". That is a myth that I wish would die.

Instead of doing a transmission flush, you could do several drain and refills over the course of 5-6000 miles. It is easy to do yourself and is much cheaper than taking the car to a mechanic to do a flush. Make sure you use Toyota-branded transmission fluid.

Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Replacing the timing belt/water pump is probably going to cost significantly more than just the valve cover gaskets alone. If you don't travel out of town much, and wouldn't mind being stranded if the belt broke, it is o.k. to wait for that to happen. Your ES has a non-interference engine.

Absolutley change the transmission fluid. Some people say when it gets to that age "the old fluid is holding it together". That is a myth that I wish would die.

Instead of doing a transmission flush, you could do several drain and refills over the course of 5-6000 miles. It is easy to do yourself and is much cheaper than taking the car to a mechanic to do a flush. Make sure you use Toyota-branded transmission fluid.

Hey thanks for the response buddy! Very informative.