Blank Buttons In Front Beside Steering Wheel

i have two blank buttons beside the coin holder and i hate it!

any ideas on what i can do.

its meant for the front headlight washers and rear sunshade both which i do not have

perfect place to install the buttons for rocked launchers and ejector seat.

I just installed a NAV override switch set into one of the blank buttons. I have the rear shade but no coin holder so I have one space remaining for some TBD option. I am sure that I will thing of something. Maybe the coin holder?

I just installed a NAV override switch set into one of the blank buttons. I have the rear shade but no coin holder so I have one space remaining for some TBD option. I am sure that I will thing of something. Maybe the coin holder?

dude thats pretty sweet i appreciate the answers and all but i dont have the mark levinson dvd...can i still install a nav override for other features? also i have no idea how'd i'd go about installing it...any tips? oh and ya def. get a coin holder and put those sachagawea (sp?) gold 1 dollar coins if your from the US it looks pretty sweet

dude thats pretty sweet i appreciate the answers and all but i dont have the mark levinson dvd...can i still install a nav override for other features? also i have no idea how'd i'd go about installing it...any tips? oh and ya def. get a coin holder and put those sachagawea (sp?) gold 1 dollar coins if your from the US it looks pretty sweet

I don't know if a nav hack will help as I believe that the Levison and Bluetooth phone capability are bundled together. Sorry.

I will check into the coin holder. I have not seen one up close yet.

Yeah, I was thinking Nav and BT but wrote Levison by mistake. We don't see many vehicles with NAV without ML in my region so I tend to think of them as one in the same.

rish!then7 - Do you have NAV or not? What other features are you referring too?

i have nav, blue tooth, heated/ventilated seats AFS, etc. i dont have the ML, rear sunshade, automatic steering wheel, auto rain sensing wipers, etc

i had a great idea last night what i was gonna do is get an ipod dock and mount it in the that spot on the two blanks beside my steering wheel and put my ipod nano there. im not sure how im gonna hook up the auxillary cord but i was thinking of getting a long one and bringing it under the seat under the all weather floor mats and hooking it up. any ideas on sticking the dock on the buttons? i was thinking rubber cement...since that shouldn't damage anything.

any tips? ideas? suggestions?

thanks guys

p.s. if i do it today or tomorrow i'll try to post some pics :-)

So the NAV hack, in its many forms, will allow you to enter street address etc... while the car is in motion. Also you can use the complete phone book or dial a phone number, again while the vehicle is in motion. It is kind of unsafe as it is a distraction so be safe if you do something like this.

Regarding the blank buttons - I would not be afraid to drill holes in the blanks in order to mount something or to run cables etc... You can always buy new ones if you want to go back to stock.

You can't remove the blanks from the front without putting a lot of stress on the front bezel which could lead to damage. The black side cover that meets up with the drivers door can be removed easily. Then you can get a good side view of the blanks and work from there.

Good luck.

P.S. In my case, I filed a small hole in the bottom of one of the blanks so that I could route the wires for the NAV Override controller. The kit came with double sided sticky tape so I used that to mount the switch assembly. I cleaned both contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol before putting it together. If it doesn't hold through this summer's heat then I may use screw or somthing. Here are some pictures. The button style is different then factory but it doesn't draw attention to itself unless the LEDs are on. I was thinking of buying some of the original switches like the shade and headlight washer to put there and then wire the aftermarket switches into the stock ones but I just don't have the time and the garage is still to cold.

What do you think about how this switch looks? Opinions?

post-39643-1205203001_thumb.jpg

post-39643-1205203018_thumb.jpg

So the NAV hack, in its many forms, will allow you to enter street address etc... while the car is in motion. Also you can use the complete phone book or dial a phone number, again while the vehicle is in motion. It is kind of unsafe as it is a distraction so be safe if you do something like this.

Regarding the blank buttons - I would not be afraid to drill holes in the blanks in order to mount something or to run cables etc... You can always buy new ones if you want to go back to stock.

You can't remove the blanks from the front without putting a lot of stress on the front bezel which could lead to damage. The black side cover that meets up with the drivers door can be removed easily. Then you can get a good side view of the blanks and work from there.

Good luck.

P.S. In my case, I filed a small hole in the bottom of one of the blanks so that I could route the wires for the NAV Override controller. The kit came with double sided sticky tape so I used that to mount the switch assembly. I cleaned both contact surfaces with rubbing alcohol before putting it together. If it doesn't hold through this summer's heat then I may use screw or somthing. Here are some pictures. The button style is different then factory but it doesn't draw attention to itself unless the LEDs are on. I was thinking of buying some of the original switches like the shade and headlight washer to put there and then wire the aftermarket switches into the stock ones but I just don't have the time and the garage is still to cold.

the buttons look good i have the nav but how did u install the nav override i hate not being able to install address while driving.

the buttons look good i have the nav but how did u install the nav override i hate not being able to install address while driving.

You need to look at the pinned thread up top "Input Address While Driving".

Good luck.

Dude holy crap that looks absolutely sick! im thinking of putting an ipod dock there and my ipod but ive been havin some trouble finding a dock for my first generation nano.

oh and PLEASE if you get a chance check out my radar detector thread.

thanks!

You need to look at the pinned thread up top "Input Address While Driving".

Thanks for the kind words guys - I actually wish the aftermarket switch was a little more flat so that it didn't stick out from the panel so much. But the fact that it light up when in use is cool. The green button is actually a perfect match for the stock green backlite switches which is another plus.

Ya, there is a lot of information on this already. I don't have an 06 so the "secret" code won't work and I did not want to cut into the factory wiring in case I need warrenty work done later on.

So, I found out about these kits from the JDM and was lucky enough to get one. It is plug and play. The link is below. That's the best that I can do.

https://secure02.blue.shared-server.net/www...r/app_tvnv.html

Sorry but I am not a 'pod' person and havn't used a radar detector in over ten years. It all depends on the size and where it can fit well in the vehcile.

Regards,