A Couple Of Things

chadmg7

Another question I have is about the transmission. I read here that the transmission is supposed to be at about 2400 RPMs when going about 70mph. Is this with your foot completely off the gas or is this what it should be at while maintaining your speed of 70mph? I had my mechanic look the entire car over and he says everything is in tip top shape, so I would assume the tranny is okay too.

I also read that the struts(?) on some 97-99 Toyotas and/or Lexuses are not the greatest. When I go over potholes and large bumps, mine sound like they are clunking or like something is loose, although nothing IS loose. My mechanic checked the struts, calipers, etc. and everything is fine he said. But the noise really bugs me. The front tires also have a slight creak when I turn the steering wheel. (I posted this question before but I am assuming it was lost when the server crashed). Again, my mechanic said the creaking is nothing major and that he could not find where exactly the noise was coming from. It would be GREAT if I could fix these noises.

Is the transmission supposed to brake when you are slowing down to a red light? For example, when I am slowing down to a red light (or anytime), the RPM needle sort of does a tiny bounce down then back up as soon as I deccelerate to about 10 mph or so. Is this normal? The car has done this since I have owned it but I am just wondering if it is supposed to. It is not intense engine braking, but just a little jolt. Does anyone have this on their 97 ES300?

I hope I am not asking too many questions! ;) I just have several things that I want to get some expert opinions on! B) Thanks everyone.

As for your struts making noise, I believe that on the Toyota Avalon, the bushings on the top of the front struts are defective and will deteriorate some, allowing the struts to move around inside their mounts, thus making noise. My aunts' 97 Avalon as well as my best friends' 98 Avalon both do this, so I would assume that this is your problem. I don't however think that it is anything that is endangering; If I'm not mistaken, I think, and I could very well be wrong, but seems like there was a recall on these parts-might wanna look into it. I used to know this website that has lots of cars and all the recalls that have been placed on them; maybe someone who reads this knows what I'm talkin about, b/c I can't remember the webpage right off. I may research it and post it if I find it. As for your tranny questions, I myself wouldnt' know b/c I've never driven a 97; my family's newest Lex is a 96 B)

I've got the same clunking noise coming from my front suspension (2000 ES300). Apparently there have been several Technical Service Bulletins issued regarding the bushings, etc. You can find them at www.alldata.com. I'm taking my car to the dealership Friday to have the problem looked at. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty. I'll post an update when I find out more.