Buying A New Is Soon

Hi all,

I'm going to be test driving a new IS soon and am seriously considering it, along with the Infiniti G35.

Some questions:

1. Which of the packages are *must haves* in your opinion? I'm not taking Sport or X as I want a more comfortable ride . Is the Auto-Tilt down side rear view mirrors useful? Are the Mark Levinson speakers worth it over the standard Premium speakers?

2. Are satellite radios standard? They are grayed out in Edmunds.

3. Does anyone regret getting the 250 instead of the 350?

4. How much did you pay for your IS? Did you get it close to invoice?

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will probably be getting this Lex if the test drive goes well.

Hi all,

I'm going to be test driving a new IS soon and am seriously considering it, along with the Infiniti G35.

Some questions:

1. Which of the packages are *must haves* in your opinion? I'm not taking Sport or X as I want a more comfortable ride . Is the Auto-Tilt down side rear view mirrors useful? Are the Mark Levinson speakers worth it over the standard Premium speakers?

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will probably be getting this Lex if the test drive goes well.

I live in Boston. If you drive in heavy snow I personally would forget the 350. The 250 AWD is good - but of course a little underpowered compared to the 350. Cars supplied to the northeast by LEXUS - at least the IS 250 AWD - comes only in a couple of standard packages. With and without Nav. and with and without Mark Levinson Package. There is no auto tilt mirror to my knowledge. Now you can get anything interms of options but you have to wait and pay - because negiotiating will be harder on a special order. Sat. Radio is not standard and you can now choose XM or Sirrus. - expect about $470 - and it is dealer installed so they can add to any car on the lot. You can pay between 3 and 4 grand less then sticker. Negoitate on the web, get the internet sales managers e-mail (every dealership within 100 miles - doesn't matter if you don't want to drive that far - just get a number from all the dealerships)- tell them EXACTLY what you want and ask for their best price. The best prices I found at IRA Lexus and Lexus of Northborough (Richard Kostigen is the internet sales manager at Northboro)- couldnt get a comparable price from Chambers. Do not negoitiate the deal at the dealership until you have it in writing on the internet including all fees, etc. ALWAYS nego. and buy at the very end of the month...like the last day..it makes a difference. Also don't talk trade until you settle on price of the IS. I found the sales and service in Northborough to be excellent. Very happy that I bought the Lexus over the Infinity - but the car does have some technical service bulletins - so be aware there may be some warranty work that MAY eventually be done (just search these forums). But I find Lexus is very good with service. Hope it helps...

XM/Sirius is port installed if you order the car (which I recommend doing if you can't find exactly what you want)... I have factory XM and it's pretty nice- note that the factory ipod adapter does NOT work with satellite, so it's one or the other. There are aftermarket ipod interfaces that work with sat. if that matters to you.

Auto-tilt mirrors in reverse- I find them useful fairly often... note they only come on lux or sport packages (also exclusive to those 2 packages are memory seats; plus they both include all the other nice lux features like rain-sensing wipers, HIDs with AFS, etc...)... since you're in the northeast you'll enjoy the heated seats, but that comes with both Lux and Sports too...

Personally I say sports package because it gives you -everything- the luxury package does except the power rear sunshade (which I've yet to meet anyone who uses) and it's $500 -less- plus you avoid the woodgrain that I think doesn't look right in a sports sedan and also get the sport pedals which look a lot nicer. You also do get the sport suspension but there's honestly not a huge difference between that and the "normal" one... 5% stiffer shocks and a .5 inch front drop...that's it...

Mark Levinson is definitely worth it... $940 for more spoeakers, better speakers, and more power... difference is significant having heard both.

I do -not- recommend getting navigation though. It's $2500-3000 (depending if you get ML or not) and it does considerably less than the aftermarket Garmins that cost 300-400 bucks. Lexus will then further screw you on map updates each year to the tune of 250-300 bucks versus 50-75 bucks from Gamin. Get a nice Nuvi 660- it'll do more functional nav (since it still fully works while the car is in drive unlike the factory system, has bluetooth, and also does realtime traffic that the factory system can't... ) 300-379 depending if you find it on sale or not... Lexus navigation was very nice in 2000... by todays standards it's massively out of date on features and very overpriced.

If you're comfortable driving a RWD car in the snow don't worry too much about the 350... just get a spare set of rims and put GOOD snow tires on em, put the car in snow mode, and you'll be fine. It's worth the extra 100 hp for the majority of the year it's not snowing.

My 08 350 was a special order BTW (since that's the only way to get sports package in the southeast, and the only way to get Mark Levinson without nav) and I can't say exactly what I paid, but it was a very very good deal... I negotiated it as "Special order for X over invoice" and the dealer agreed to that, so what options I picked didn't matter for changing the price, it just added the invoice cost of those options to the original base+x.... I think that's a lot better way to negotiate than the "X off MSRP" many dealers go for, because every option you add throws more MSRP markup into the total.

Note there are many dealers who hate special orders, or won't offer much discount on em- Simply find a better dealer if you run into that.

XM/Sirius is port installed if you order the car (which I recommend doing if you can't find exactly what you want)... I have factory XM and it's pretty nice- note that the factory ipod adapter does NOT work with satellite, so it's one or the other. There are aftermarket ipod interfaces that work with sat. if that matters to you.

Auto-tilt mirrors in reverse- I find them useful fairly often... note they only come on lux or sport packages (also exclusive to those 2 packages are memory seats; plus they both include all the other nice lux features like rain-sensing wipers, HIDs with AFS, etc...)... since you're in the northeast you'll enjoy the heated seats, but that comes with both Lux and Sports too...

Personally I say sports package because it gives you -everything- the luxury package does except the power rear sunshade (which I've yet to meet anyone who uses) and it's $500 -less- plus you avoid the woodgrain that I think doesn't look right in a sports sedan and also get the sport pedals which look a lot nicer. You also do get the sport suspension but there's honestly not a huge difference between that and the "normal" one... 5% stiffer shocks and a .5 inch front drop...that's it...

Mark Levinson is definitely worth it... $940 for more spoeakers, better speakers, and more power... difference is significant having heard both.

I do -not- recommend getting navigation though. It's $2500-3000 (depending if you get ML or not) and it does considerably less than the aftermarket Garmins that cost 300-400 bucks. Lexus will then further screw you on map updates each year to the tune of 250-300 bucks versus 50-75 bucks from Gamin. Get a nice Nuvi 660- it'll do more functional nav (since it still fully works while the car is in drive unlike the factory system, has bluetooth, and also does realtime traffic that the factory system can't... ) 300-379 depending if you find it on sale or not... Lexus navigation was very nice in 2000... by todays standards it's massively out of date on features and very overpriced.

If you're comfortable driving a RWD car in the snow don't worry too much about the 350... just get a spare set of rims and put GOOD snow tires on em, put the car in snow mode, and you'll be fine. It's worth the extra 100 hp for the majority of the year it's not snowing.

My 08 350 was a special order BTW (since that's the only way to get sports package in the southeast, and the only way to get Mark Levinson without nav) and I can't say exactly what I paid, but it was a very very good deal... I negotiated it as "Special order for X over invoice" and the dealer agreed to that, so what options I picked didn't matter for changing the price, it just added the invoice cost of those options to the original base+x.... I think that's a lot better way to negotiate than the "X off MSRP" many dealers go for, because every option you add throws more MSRP markup into the total.

Note there are many dealers who hate special orders, or won't offer much discount on em- Simply find a better dealer if you run into that.

Thanks, good to know.

I have to hear in person what the sound system is going to be like, but at this point, I'm almost decided on a base model IS350 with a few options (nothing major like Nav). I will not be adding the X or Sport package since I want a smoother ride. The reviews I've read atleast of the 2006 model really emphasized an uncomfortable ride with the Sport suspension.. unless this has changed in the 2008 model I will be eschewing it for a plusher ride.

I'm also waiting for a good incentive or two, which seems likely since sales have been dropping significantly in the past months and probably for 2008, which is looking like a terrible year for the Automotive market (therefore a good one for buyers). I don't haggle. Having purchased many many vehicles for friends and family, I simply go in with an offer of below invoice to invoice or nothing, and if we don't get a yes, we walk out. Most of them time, the dealer agrees when your at the door. I will never purchase anything over invoice. If there isn't a single Lexus dealership willing to sell to me at invoice, I will simply not purchase a new vehicle.

Thanks guys.

Thanks, good to know.

I have to hear in person what the sound system is going to be like, but at this point, I'm almost decided on a base model IS350 with a few options (nothing major like Nav). I will not be adding the X or Sport package since I want a smoother ride. The reviews I've read atleast of the 2006 model really emphasized an uncomfortable ride with the Sport suspension.. unless this has changed in the 2008 model I will be eschewing it for a plusher ride.

I'm also waiting for a good incentive or two, which seems likely since sales have been dropping significantly in the past months and probably for 2008, which is looking like a terrible year for the Automotive market (therefore a good one for buyers). I don't haggle. Having purchased many many vehicles for friends and family, I simply go in with an offer of below invoice to invoice or nothing, and if we don't get a yes, we walk out. Most of them time, the dealer agrees when your at the door. I will never purchase anything over invoice. If there isn't a single Lexus dealership willing to sell to me at invoice, I will simply not purchase a new vehicle.

Thanks guys.

I would doubt you could get a 250 at invoice in the NE, let alone a 350 (I got my AWD in May for about $700 over invoice). You could try contacting CA dealers, where pricing it better, and have it shipped for a few hundred $$--you may come out ahead, and have more inventory to choose from. I'd be surprised if there are that many 350s in the Boston area, and I bet they are all configured pretty much the same.

Yeah, you're not likely to find one -at- invoice in your area... So. Cal where there's like 50 lexus dealers they'll do 250s that way, and 350s later in the model year...even then that'll be cars right on the lot though so you're stuck with how they configure them in your area... and you're flatly not getting a special order at that price, even from someone who's ok with doing special orders.

I understand how ya feel on pricing, it took a while for me to accept the idea of paying ANYTHING over invoice, but Lexus simply doesn't have any reason to work that way, they're the #1 selling lux brand in the country, they're not desperate for sales especially on a car they have no problem selling anyway... a couple areas like so cal are the exception due to competition.

Yeah, you're not likely to find one -at- invoice in your area... So. Cal where there's like 50 lexus dealers they'll do 250s that way, and 350s later in the model year...even then that'll be cars right on the lot though so you're stuck with how they configure them in your area... and you're flatly not getting a special order at that price, even from someone who's ok with doing special orders.

I understand how ya feel on pricing, it took a while for me to accept the idea of paying ANYTHING over invoice, but Lexus simply doesn't have any reason to work that way, they're the #1 selling lux brand in the country, they're not desperate for sales especially on a car they have no problem selling anyway... a couple areas like so cal are the exception due to competition.

Yup, I realized that but this year will likely be different!

Good luck. I wouldn't count on any incentives (beyond the "fake" winter sales, And financing options) from Lexus on this vehicle or their entire line for that matter. Forget paying invoice in the Northeast on this car or the Infinity G35. Maybe $500 - $1000 over invoice at the end of a slow month with the right dealer on an in-stock or tradable from another local dealer vehicle. That amount would probably offset having a car shipping from CA. The cars are just in demand, it's not a Chevy Impala.

If you get it at or below invoice I am sure everyone on the boards would love to hear the story.

Good luck. I wouldn't count on any incentives (beyond the "fake" winter sales, And financing options) from Lexus on this vehicle or their entire line for that matter. Forget paying invoice in the Northeast on this car or the Infinity G35. Maybe $500 - $1000 over invoice at the end of a slow month with the right dealer on an in-stock or tradable from another local dealer vehicle. That amount would probably offset having a car shipping from CA. The cars are just in demand, it's not a Chevy Impala.

If you get it at or below invoice I am sure everyone on the boards would love to hear the story.

Will report back when I start shopping around. However, I don't think the demand is holding. Month to month sales have been down, and I actually don't see that many IS's where I live (Boston).

Try the internet sales manager at Wilde Lexus of Sarasota. That's where I got mine shipped for $600 from FL to KY. My local dealer "was not interested in that deal" when I asked them to match price on my special order.

Get every option you may want. No regrets. That's why you're not buying a stripped $50K car. Get the $30K car with every option.

• 4 months later...
Try the internet sales manager at Wilde Lexus of Sarasota. That's where I got mine shipped for $600 from FL to KY. My local dealer "was not interested in that deal" when I asked them to match price on my special order.

Get every option you may want. No regrets. That's why you're not buying a stripped $50K car. Get the $30K car with every option.

As long as you are not stuck in getting your car serviced at Wilde Lexus of Sarasota, you will probably be okay. Wilde Lexus needs to sell cars. Their service advisors, when it comes right down to it, just don't care about their loyal customers nor does the Sales Manager or General Manaager. Good Luck if have not already purchased it.

Hi all,

Some questions:

U MUST HAVE THE NAV. THE CAR IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT IT B/C U ARE ABLE TO CONTROL A/C AND EVERYTHING ON A TOUCH SCREEN WHICH IS SICK!

DONT get the 350 i have a friend who got it and he hates it b/c he said in stop and go traffic he always feels like vomiting b/c he's thrown back and forth from stopping and accelerating at the stop lights

satellite radio sucks

i paid a butt load im not gonna lie. no where near invoice bro

AND BTW THE LUX PACKAGE IS CURSED! I DID AN EARLIER POSTING ON IT AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE TRUE!

Hi all,

Some questions:

DONT get the 350 i have a friend who got it and he hates it b/c he said in stop and go traffic he always feels like vomiting b/c he's thrown back and forth from stopping and accelerating at the stop lights

Sounds like your buddy just doesn't know how to drive...

Hi all,

Some questions:

1. Must haves are a personal preference. I like the nav option, but that's a personal preference, and many others will tell you to get a Garmin. The built in Bluetooth in the nav is great.

2. Don't have it--not standard. It's a port-installed option

3. I got AWD, so there wasn't much of a choice. You will notice a big difference if you are comparing a G35, but the power is not that different from an A4 2.0T or a 328.

4. I got an '07 last year for about $700 over invoice. Depends on the model (250 vs 350) and area of the country.

Hi all,

Some questions:

U MUST HAVE THE NAV. THE CAR IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT IT B/C U ARE ABLE TO CONTROL A/C AND EVERYTHING ON A TOUCH SCREEN WHICH IS SICK!

satellite radio sucks

AND BTW THE LUX PACKAGE IS CURSED! I DID AN EARLIER POSTING ON IT AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE TRUE!

and if you don't get nav you save 2-3k and can -still- control your AC by touch...amazing!

And yeah, your friend doesn't know how to drive a car if that's how he drives his 350

I'm a little late here, but personally I hate the tilt down rear view mirrors option. They're great if you're parallel parking, but not so great when backing out of a driveway, parking spot, etc...

If you go with the NAV you'll have the rear view camera to compensate.

I'm a little late here, but personally I hate the tilt down rear view mirrors option. They're great if you're parallel parking, but not so great when backing out of a driveway, parking spot, etc...

If you go with the NAV you'll have the rear view camera to compensate.

You can turn them off. The camera doesn't help with knowing how close you are to the curb or parking stripe.

Hi all,

Some questions:

satellite radio sucks

I live in New York, and just got my IS350. Called around, every IS350 in stock of every dealer i called is loaded down to the teeth. Which includes every luxury options from the lux package. So we are all cursed? and what? you have a friend who drives him into vomiting? Any chance he was just bragging?

My shopping for this IS took a little under a month. At the end of negotiations all three dealers was willing to give me the 250 or the 350 at invoice. The 350 is a low volume car, so it's rarely ever sold at invoice. But it's getting close to the end of year and the economy is bad. That's exactly why i wanted to buy now.

"i paid a butt load im not gonna lie. no where near invoice bro"

Bro i don't know what to tell you!

Hi all,

Some questions:

satellite radio sucks

I live in New York, and just got my IS350. Called around, every IS350 in stock of every dealer i called is loaded down to the teeth. Which includes every luxury options from the lux package. So we are all cursed? and what? you have a friend who drives him into vomiting? Any chance he was just bragging?

My shopping for this IS took a little under a month. At the end of negotiations all three dealers was willing to give me the 250 or the 350 at invoice. The 350 is a low volume car, so it's rarely ever sold at invoice. But it's getting close to the end of year and the economy is bad. That's exactly why i wanted to buy now.

"i paid a butt load im not gonna lie. no where near invoice bro"

Bro i don't know what to tell you!

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:58 AM

To: Owen

Subject: RE: Bay Ridge Lexus

Owen,

I will be here tonight till 6 so if you want to stop by and take a look at

the car again that would be great. If it will be later then that you can

meet with Charlie who is one of my sales consultants and I will leave him

all of the information that we discussed.

Also as far as the possibility of getting the new car for any less then

invoice I don't know if that is going to be possible. Typically through out

the year we are selling the IS350 for 2-3k over invoice so to be able to get

the car now for invoice is a "great" deal.

Please email me back and let me know what time you will be around today.

Thank you again for getting in touch with me again and I look forward to

putting something together.

Sincerely,

Daniel Del Negro

Internet Sales Manager

Bay Ridge Lexus

665 65th Street

Brooklyn NY 11220

Phone: 718-680-2200

Fax: 718-745-2959

Email: sales@bayridgelexus.com

Web: www.bayridgelexus.com