Sport Mode Shifting

Just bought a 2008 IS250 AWD. One question. In sport mode, the car does not down-shift automatically when coming to a stop. Is this supposed to be the case, or do I have a problem? My last 2 cars--05 Saab 9-3 and 01 Hondas Prelude--both automatically down shifted when coming to a hault.

Anyone else experience this?

Not quite sure what you mean, but my IS350 downshifts itself when slowing down. Are you watching the little window "current gear"?

Yes. If I am in 4th gear when i begin to slow, it does not move from "4" unless I manually shift it down using the paddles or shifter. I called the dealer, and they said that the car should still be downshifting even though the display will still read "4." I was not happy with his answer since I assume that the number on the screen adjusts whenever the gear shifts no matter if I am manually controlling it or the car is automatically down-shifting.

Not quite sure what you mean, but my IS350 downshifts itself when slowing down. Are you watching the little window "current gear"?

Yes. If I am in 4th gear when i begin to slow, it does not move from "4" unless I manually shift it down using the paddles or shifter. I called the dealer, and they said that the car should still be downshifting even though the display will still read "4." I was not happy with his answer since I assume that the number on the screen adjusts whenever the gear shifts no matter if I am manually controlling it or the car is automatically down-shifting.

Well it will show a downshift to 4 as you coast down and when almost stopped it should show all the way down to 1. This isn't the selected gear number but the actual gear number.

Well it will show a downshift to 4 as you coast down and when almost stopped it should show all the way down to 1. This isn't the selected gear number but the actual gear number.

I will keep an eye on it more closely when I drive it the next few days. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for your comments.

Just bought a 2008 IS250 AWD. One question. In sport mode, the car does not down-shift automatically when coming to a stop. Is this supposed to be the case, or do I have a problem? My last 2 cars--05 Saab 9-3 and 01 Hondas Prelude--both automatically down shifted when coming to a hault.

Anyone else experience this?

Its a little different when you are in sport mode. Go to your display mode that shows the gears. When you shift it defaults you to 4th. That basically means that is the highest gear you will hit. So if you at a dead stop it will still take you 1 through 4. If you paddle up to six and you start from a dead stop it will take you 1 - 6 so on and so forth.

Yes that is correct. The single gear shift icon (7-segment display) shows the gear selected when using the sport mode. If you toggle the 'Disp" button on the steering wheel to the gear indicator, if will show the actual gear that the transmission is in.