Help Me Decide To Buy 02 Gs300

I've never owned a Lexus, but from what I've heard they're supposed to be pretty good cars. So, I've been trying to read up on them. We've found this 02 GS300 at CarMax that is nice and fairly reasonable. Never liked dealing with used car dealers but have had friends who bought from CarMax with no problems. And, they're the only place who has a GS300 that NOT White, silver or black! Drove it last night and liked it. Seems to be a little bigger car that our E320. I did notice there seemed to be more road noise than our car.

Anyway, I've seen there are two problems I need to be concerned about:

1. Ball joints. The car has 95K+. Is there a TSB from Lexus that requires replacement at a certain mileage? Are the '02 ball joints any better than the older ones (last longer)?

2. Timing belt. Again, when should these be changed and should it be part of a regular service (TSB)?

Are there any other issues I should be looking for?

By the way, this one has the Nav System. Do they have to be updated regularly, and if so is there a charge from Lexus for this or can it be done aftermarket?

Please try to answer soon. It's 8:26am in Atlanta (an snowing) and I was wanting to go back today to purchase the car.

I've never owned a Lexus, but from what I've heard they're supposed to be pretty good cars. So, I've been trying to read up on them. We've found this 02 GS300 at CarMax that is nice and fairly reasonable. Never liked dealing with used car dealers but have had friends who bought from CarMax with no problems. And, they're the only place who has a GS300 that NOT White, silver or black! Drove it last night and liked it. Seems to be a little bigger car that our E320. I did notice there seemed to be more road noise than our car.

Anyway, I've seen there are two problems I need to be concerned about:

1. Ball joints. The car has 95K+. Is there a TSB from Lexus that requires replacement at a certain mileage? Are the '02 ball joints any better than the older ones (last longer)?

2. Timing belt. Again, when should these be changed and should it be part of a regular service (TSB)?

Are there any other issues I should be looking for?

By the way, this one has the Nav System. Do they have to be updated regularly, and if so is there a charge from Lexus for this or can it be done aftermarket?

Please try to answer soon. It's 8:26am in Atlanta (an snowing) and I was wanting to go back today to purchase the car.

#1 Have the ball joints inspected, I have a 98 gs300 and had mine inspected when my brake pads were replaced and no problems at 120k

#2 Timing belt at 90k (but can go 120k easily) change the water pump and idler pulleys also.

The nav can be done at the dealer or you can always find updates online.

The road noise is probably the tires, Common.

Welcome to the club :cheers: Enjoy the ride ;)

Well, didn't get much help here . . . . bought it anyway. Has been repainted somewhere along the way. Not a very good job, either. But, I think I can work on it and smooth it out. IF they put on enough clear coat.

Taking it this week to an independent Lexus guy to get it checked. I'm just not real comfortable with CarMax. They're still a "used car dealer" even though they seem to have a good reputation.

Well, didn't get much help here . . . . bought it anyway. Has been repainted somewhere along the way. Not a very good job, either. But, I think I can work on it and smooth it out. IF they put on enough clear coat.

Taking it this week to an independent Lexus guy to get it checked. I'm just not real comfortable with CarMax. They're still a "used car dealer" even though they seem to have a good reputation.

Sorry, I'll personally check out your next car and give it a 100 point inspection. Did you ever think "Maybe I shouldn't buy this car?" Better luck next time :P