Power Steering Issues...again!

mobilyte

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jsut replaced my pressure switch yesterday. After refilling pump it now seems as if there is no power boost at all. Steering wheel is hard to turn unless i am at hwy speed. I wondered if there is a filter or screen also that might be stopped up .

Just cleaned mine, it was almost totally blocked with black crud. I just used wd40 and sprayed it off. The screen is a really fine mesh and i was afraid to rub on it very much. The cleaning helped take some of the tightness outof the steering but it is still not as free as it was before i put the vacuum switch in the pump. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

My 91 LS400 has very hard steering, it has ever since Lexus replaced the leaking power steering pump. It was taken back to the dealer and we were told that the entire front axle had to replaced, I don't remember what the quote was but it was quite large. I just delt with the harder than normal steering. I would love to have a lighter steering car. Does anyone have specific instructions for cleaning this filter, the approximate location of it, and is there any engine knowledge required? I don't know much about the engine specifics, to remove the filter do I need to drain the entire system? There is also a comment that the part isnt listed in the lexus books, if I take it to the local toyota dealership, will they know what I am talking about?

The solenoid / filter is on the bottom of the steering box located right in front of the firewall. It is a very simple to remove. Just us a flat head screwdriver and hammer to loosen solenoid, there is not really room for a wrench. When you get it loose you can turn it with your hand. Just unscrew and remove. I used wd40 spray to clean the screen, then replaced .

b4 removing the solenoid check if you have air in the fluid, check the fluid level and check if your pump makes any noises when you turn then wheel. if those paramts seems to be ok. disconnect the solenoid, dont remove it yet. if there is no difference then solenoid is dead. if there is, try to remove it and clean it

I am finding no difference with the solenoid pluged up or unpluged. I checked for voltage in the plug and meter did not show any. Is there a fuse for the solenoid only. Is there a plug somewhere else that might have gotten unpluged?

measure the resistance on the solenoid. it should be beween 6 and 11 ohm. after this check the operation. connect battery terminals to the solenoid. when u look at the connector the left one is - and right one is +. check that the solenoid makes clicks sound.. dont appy voltage for more then 30 sec otherwise u will burn it.. if u have to repeat the procedure wait till it cools down so you can touch if with ur hand. if there is no click sound replace the pressure control valve with the solenoid valve.

might be the problem with the power steering ECU. there is a PPS ECU speiciflally put there for that purpose. its located undewr the steering wheel right next to tilt & telesocpic ECU. check the voltate betweent the ECU - and ground connectors

- connector is in the upper left corner and ground is in lower left corner if you look at the connector while its plugged in into the ecu. voltage should be between 0.15 and 0.2 V with the engine idling. lift the car and put it in Drive. check the voltage while car running at 60 mph. it should be between 0.04 and 0.16 V. it its not. u have to get urself a new ECU. oh btw check the wire from the ECU to the solenoid and make sure its okey. might be just a wire problem

Suggest 3-M Adhesive Cleaner instead of Brake Cleaner. The brake stuff is fairly 'mean' with toluene in it !!!! And it evaporates too fast for an overall cleaner.

The 3-M product # is 08984 in a qt. or 08987 in a spray can. I would NOT be without it in the garage.

Thanks guys for all the info. I never did figure out what was wrong, but this morning when i got in the car powersteering was back to normal. It may have been only air in the rack , i just thought air would have cleared in less than a week. Oh well its working fine now.

Thanks Again