Brake Pads

Need to replace front brake pads and just need to know whether Autozon's lifetime guarentee Duralast Gold pads are just fine or do I need to double the cost and go with Lexus brake pads?

Need to replace front brake pads and just need to know whether Autozon's lifetime guarentee Duralast Gold pads are just fine or do I need to double the cost and go with Lexus brake pads?

100% Lexus OEM pads only, You will never have any problems. ;)

DC, never say never. Find a Toyota dealer, spend $50-60, and you are ready to go.

I am always suspicious of brake pads that come with a guaranttee, any guarantee other than a manufacturing defect, especially a lifetime guaranttee...........

I want brake pads that provide the highest possible frictional resistance, if that were to mean only 20,000 miles of use, then fine.

I NEVER buy OEM....

Well, maybe Porsche.

DC, never say never. Find a Toyota dealer, spend $50-60, and you are ready to go.

Well, I have always bought my OEM pads online and have a Toyota dealer install with new shims at every pad change. I never had a problem ;) Is that better ?

Most of the owners on this post have newer cars, so it may be different on them. I have a 1994LS that had 3 front brake jobs between 50,000 miles and 97,000 miles-when I bought it. The Lexus dealer charged the previous owner over $500 each time. Got the printout at the dealer. What I found is that the dealers always ground the rotors, and then put on OEM pads. And the job lasted about 15,000 miles max, sometimes less. My point is that I put matched new rotors on new pads, and the brakes to date are still incredibly smooth with 20,000 miles on them. Easy job, my labor, and the parts totaled $120. Yes, no OEM's, but so what? Just spend another $120 if it wears out-I buy from Rockauto, and the job is done.

My new 2004 Miata Miataspeed had crap brakes after 5,000 miles-It grunted a little going forward-light squeak going backwards at startup. I didn't even bother to go to the Stealer-spent 90 bucks to replace the rotors and pads. It's still under warranty, but you don't think the pads are under warranty, do you? Runs like a top....

I have worked on a lot of cars over the years in my business. I have used nearly every pad out there, and the one thing I know is that Toyota pads (Lexus too) are about the longest lived, least abrasive to rotors, and quietest ever. I pulled the original pads out of my 98 at 95k kilometers, and they had lots left. The Lexus specific pads are pricey, but they last two to three times as well. No dust, no squeal, great pedal feel.

I use OEM. That's it.

In over 50 years of DIY brake jobs, brake shoes and then pads I can remember only one "failure". That was one of the early pads that used glue instead of rivets and the pad separated from the backing. The very few rotors that I have had to have turned were due to warpage.

It would worry me if I were to get more than 35,000 miles out of a set of front brake pads.

I have worked on a lot of cars over the years in my business. I have used nearly every pad out there, and the one thing I know is that Toyota pads (Lexus too) are about the longest lived, least abrasive to rotors, and quietest ever. I pulled the original pads out of my 98 at 95k kilometers, and they had lots left. The Lexus specific pads are pricey, but they last two to three times as well. No dust, no squeal, great pedal feel.

I use OEM. That's it.

;) :cheers: Save a possible headache, OEM :cheers:

i would go with a ceramic pad, i work at napa auto and i get my pads from work, we sell the cmx line of pads and they work great, as far as how long your pads last is depending on how u drive, someone may get 10-15,000 miles out of a set of brake pads, and someone else could get 20-25,000 out of the same pads on the exact same car.....i used to be a service writer and have seen the damage people can do on a set of brakes in a very short time

OEM if you want to do this job just once...otherwise go ahead and think you're saving yourself $75 bucks, only to realize they make a groaning noise, or scream like a little teenager girl at a Millie Cyrus concert when you're backing out of your garage...which will ultimately irritate your neighbors at 6:00am. Trust us, trust me. I have been down this road, and ended up spending probably 3x's the cost of just going with oem, only to come to the conclusion, that if you want your Lexus to operate like a Lexus, then use Lexus parts, especially the brake pads / shim kits/ fitment springs. You start !Removed! around with Autozone/Napa/PepBoys/etc..stuff, and you'll quickly realize they don't sit right in the caliper and click upon changing direction, make noises, throw the braking balance of the car off, etc.... This will happen, trust me. I went through Napa pads, Autozone Pads, Car Quest pads, Pep boys, and some local shops too, thinking I was going to find a better setup than oem. Nope...not even close.

Now rotors, sometimes you can get away with aftermarket, so long as they have centering screw holes so they'll stay centered, otherwise it's vibration city. At least on the LS it is, as was the case for me. I got away with some Mountain Rotors suggested to me from I think wwest? And got away with some good autozone rear rotors. But oem pads & related parts, for sure, no question about it. They're the ones that sit right in the calipers.

I HAVE AFTERMARKET PADS ON MY 92 WITH CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS!!!!!!!! NO NOISE WHAT SO EVER......YOU CAN SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY FROM TOYOTA OR LEXUS BUT YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY.......like i stated previoulsy i was a service writer at pep boys and did many brake jobs on all types of lexus models.........supplied with top grade pads we never had problems

I HAVE AFTERMARKET PADS ON MY 92 WITH CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS!!!!!!!! NO NOISE WHAT SO EVER......YOU CAN SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY FROM TOYOTA OR LEXUS BUT YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY.......like i stated previoulsy i was a service writer at pep boys and did many brake jobs on all types of lexus models.........supplid with top grade pads we never had problems

Regardless, OEM and OEM only ;) It's worth the $50.00 an axel. If you buy aftermarket don't come back on the forums and ask "Why are my breaks Clunking,Squeaking, Creating so much brake dust, etc...)

whatever. I've put mid grade aftermarket brakes on every single ls400 we have (3) and my friend did too on her 92. All our cars stop perfect, make no noises, and dont shimmy. I've have aftermarket brakes on my car for 15k miles and no probs. My sisters dark jade has had em for 20k. no probs.

I agree oem is usually the way to go for most parts, but brakes? I dont think it matters. Thats like saying only oem wiper blades are good.

It's definately a matter of opinion, but I'll NEVER use pads with a long warranty.

Disc brakes are a very simple system: The rotors turn at the same speed as the wheels, and when you step on the brake pedal, hydraulic pressure "squeezes" the pads against the rotors. Friction.

Well, with two objects rubbing against eachother at a high rate of speed and pressure, SOMETHING is going to wear out eventually. Right?

I'd rather wear out my pads than my rotors. Thus, I use a soft-ish ceramic compound pad, similar to the OEM pads.

I bought a nice set of Brembo slotted brake rotors. Pads are a lot cheaper than a new set of rotors, or even resurfacing rotors... so I'll keep buying cheap-ish pads, and make my Brembo rotors last forever :)

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

Most of the owners on this post have newer cars, so it may be different on them. I have a 1994LS that had 3 front brake jobs between 50,000 miles and 97,000 miles-when I bought it. The Lexus dealer charged the previous owner over $500 each time. Got the printout at the dealer. What I found is that the dealers always ground the rotors, and then put on OEM pads. And the job lasted about 15,000 miles max, sometimes less. My point is that I put matched new rotors on new pads, and the brakes to date are still incredibly smooth with 20,000 miles on them. Easy job, my labor, and the parts totaled $120. Yes, no OEM's, but so what? Just spend another $120 if it wears out-I buy from Rockauto, and the job is done.

My new 2004 Miata Miataspeed had crap brakes after 5,000 miles-It grunted a little going forward-light squeak going backwards at startup. I didn't even bother to go to the Stealer-spent 90 bucks to replace the rotors and pads. It's still under warranty, but you don't think the pads are under warranty, do you? Runs like a top....

Wow 3 front brake jobs within 47,000 miles???? Thats alot. There has to be more to the story than that. That must be some hard driving. There is no way pads can wear like that unless its stop and go constantly or an issue with the brake system.

OEM is definitely the way to go if you want to do it right the first time and not have issues.

I'm not saying that aftermarket equipment is all crap either. You can get away with installing aftermarket and not have any issues at all.

But in my experience, they've always had an issue whether its noise or not fitting correctly. Especially the brake pads.

u r more than entitled to do what u see fit for ur own car, i have given u information that i know to be true due to first hand experience, if u feel the need to spend 100 dollars on a set of pads that wont stop u any better than a set bought from an auto parts store for less than half the money then go right ahead, Napa auto supplies a lot of shops around the country, in fact ill bet our race car........which is the #55 camry by the way, has our pads on it.....

u r more than entitled to do what u see fit for ur own car, i have given u information that i know to be true due to first hand experience, if u feel the need to spend 100 dollars on a set of pads that wont stop u any better than a set bought from an auto parts store for less than half the money then go right ahead, Napa auto supplies a lot of shops around the country, in fact ill bet our race car........which is the #55 camry by the way, has our pads on it.....

It's not YOUR car to be betting with :whistles:

The Napa racecar very well may have Napa brakes, but I seriously doubt they're the kind that you offer the general public for replacement parts on a Lexus LS400, that would offer any kind of cost savings versus OEM. Look guys, I understand everyone has their own opinions about things, and some folks are more picky than others about things. Some folks don't "hear" that noise, or "feel" that pull, and they're also the same folks that probably wouldn't qualify for the Henry Ford Auto-nutcase rehab clinic, like I would. But, from my experience in trying to save a buck when it came time to address the brakes on my LS400, I simply couldn't do it, with the pads. I wasn't all that thrilled with the aftermarket rotors either. Under highway stops, the car would groan under the pressure, which was strictly due to the rotors. I had pads that wouldn't accept the anti-squel shims for the car, had pads that wouldn't sit right in the calipers, and upon going in reverse the first time & appling the brakes, they would shift in the caliper seats causing a very noticable clunk. I had clicks, ticks, and when backing down my driveway in the morning I had the worst screaming I've ever heard. I had the ceramics, the metalics, you name it. AT THE END OF THE DAY, I was only satisified after I ditched all efforts and ordered some oem pads with new shim kits, and remained happy until the day I sold it, roughly 20k miles. Bremo rotors are well known for being good on these cars. But, again, at the end of the day, cost differences v. operational effectiveness really isn't that much "if you know how to buy oem parts".

Do as you please, but before making up your mind, run some searches on here for "clicking noise" and "groaning noise" and such. You'll see, in almost every single case, cheap aftermarket pads were the culprits, for several years. Maybe it won't bother you, it surely doesn't bother quiet a few people. But for Gurus like DC, SK, and ole' NC, who've taken these cars apart and put them back together a few times, unless if you're willing to spend more for aftermarket performace equipment that is designed to exceed specs, like the Bremo slotted, it's best to just order OEM from the internet and be done with it. The extra $20 you'll spend for shipping and such, in my honest opinion, is well worth the satisfaction of knowing what you've got, is indeed what the architects of the car from brith, designed for the car's performance.

I think I spent close to $1,100 learning this lesson, with the final $150 being spend for oem pads and new shims from one of the online guys.

It's not YOUR car to be betting with :whistles:

it HAS been my car that ive so called "bet" on, whatever that means, i have put after market pads on my car as well as sold many shops after market pads to put on many lexus, so before u go insuating im making statements under faulse pre-tenses, i suggest u look at my previous posts, im more qualified than most to speak in this area ........have u ever been a service writer? mechanic? i have been both as well as sell parts for a living.........is the Ls a ferrari,mercedes,high end bmw or some other 200,000 dollar car that requires only oem parts? no.....we dont even offer brakes for these cars, but we do offer brakes for the lexus......do u have any idea why? well i do....because they will work to oem specs

i have been both as well as sell parts for a living.........

Aha! So you sell parts for a living.....I smell "conflict of interest" because you ain't sellin' dealer parts are ya bub?

You are mistaken if you think some flit-hack outfit can out-engineer Toyota in making parts, let alone Lexus.

Do you sell Tornado's?

flit hack? u might wanna check who sells more parts to shops, in fact i sell to dealerships, toyota ,ford,pontiac, chevy,etc, if u dont have anything contructive to say to help out i suggest not commenting at all......BUB!