Scan Tool - Thi Or Others

Andrewsreef

THI or anyone else that owns a Scan tool, can anyone recomend a cost effective tool for testing error codes on my LX450? Also, would this tool work on other cars? My wife has a Toyota Seianna.

My check engine light just came on so I want to start working on this car myself. Way to costly to repair with my long-time mechanic.

Thanks

Andrew

You can buy them all over the place ,usually the more money it is the more it can do.

To be able to do everything ,those scanners are about 2500 and up

To be a basic one for trouble shooting you can find them locally at napa or pep boys or online. Probably even on ebay for cheap.

An obd 2 scanner will work on your truck her van a camry, a GM pontiac grand prix, and even a chrysler caravan. So the options are endless once it is a 97 and up as very few cars were obd2 compliant befre 97 like my 94 ES 300 which is supposed to be the first obd 2 car.

Check out this web site: http://www.thecarchip.com/

I got the Carchip EX version which is a datalogger, and ODBII code reader. With the EX version, you can monitor various parameters for 300 hours then download to your PC for analyze. You can use it to clear the error code also.

You can go to the specification page or call them for compability issue. It looks the Toyota van is not on the incompatible list.

There are some other fun thing that you can monitor such as acceleration, braking, top speed.

My friend just got one not long ago for around $140. I paid a little more.

Thi

Thi, thanks for responding. I looked this chip up and am considering purchasing it. I read the info but how does it work? How do you get the info to your pc. Do you have to purchase the separate cable?

I am wondering if this might be a little better than just a OBCII scan tool. Nobody can figure out what is really wrong with my car. And all I am doing is spending lots of money for them to try. My tranny and engine are not giving codes when they test it so were are no farther along than a month ago. My check engine light did come on but it went out again before I could get it checked.

Thanks for any more info you can give me on this.

Andrew

Andrew,

It's a little device that you hook it up to the ODBII port at the beginning of the day. As you drive the car, it records various parameters (you can specify a set of parameters such as coolant temperature, timing,...), and error codes. When you want to analyze the data, unhook the device and connect it to your PC via a serial port. If your PC does not have a serial port, you need a USB to serial adapter. I think that it's nice for trouble shooting intermittent problem because it records data all the time as long as you have it connected. I bought it in order to trouble shoot an intermittent problem with my AC.

Sorry to hear about your vehicle. It sounds like some kind of intermittent problem. I surprise that the light was not latched by itself. Maybe there was not enough time for it (computer) to flag as a real problem.

Thi

P.S. Something just came to my mind. A few months ago, you checked the timing on your car. I assume that you remember to remove the paper clip that you used to short the 2 terminals, right?

<<<Update>>> I saw the Carchip and Carchip EX in local Sears store. The EX costs $150.