Servicing At The Dealership

sphadke

I have a 2004 RX, with 55K miles. Until now, I have usually serviced the car at the dealership where I bought it from (except changing the tires at Costco).

This time, I got a call with multiple line items, and a steep price tag:

Rear brake service $310

Power steering flush $119

Induction Service $157 (clean the trhottle body)

Exterior drive belt $156

--

standard 55K service $132 (oil change, tire rotation, brake inspect)

==

total of $874 !! :o

While I think this place is overpriced, and they are probably asking me to get some service even if it is not absolutely required, I am not sure where else I can take the car. In general, I have a lot of mis-trust towards any car service place.

Any suggestion about what are good alternative places to get the car serviced?

I am reasonably handy myself. Are there some things that can be done at home in your garage - such as a power steering flush for example?

Are there service guides youc an buy that give you instructions?

Sam

I have a 2004 RX, with 55K miles. Until now, I have usually serviced the car at the dealership where I bought it from (except changing the tires at Costco).

This time, I got a call with multiple line items, and a steep price tag:

Rear brake service $310

Power steering flush $119

Induction Service $157 (clean the trhottle body)

Exterior drive belt $156

--

standard 55K service $132 (oil change, tire rotation, brake inspect)

==

total of $874 !! :o

While I think this place is overpriced, and they are probably asking me to get some service even if it is not absolutely required, I am not sure where else I can take the car. In general, I have a lot of mis-trust towards any car service place.

Any suggestion about what are good alternative places to get the car serviced?

I am reasonably handy myself. Are there some things that can be done at home in your garage - such as a power steering flush for example?

Are there service guides youc an buy that give you instructions?

Sam

Sam,

All of those services are things I do to my LS and other car myself. If you have the mechanical ability, you should just do the work yourself. It is much cheaper, and you get the satisfaction knowing it was done right.

You can get the factory service manuals from "techinfo.toyota.com". Pay $10 for one day's worth of access, and you can download service manuals for as many Toyota/Lexus vehicles as you like.