Oil Leak

I have a lexus ES300, Yr 1997, Mileage 147K.

During the oil change, technician told me that the car is leaking oil and I have seen in my own eyes.

It is very low leak and evaporate thru the exhaust, I have seen very little dripping in the floor.

The technician also suggested to change the ATF. What kind ATF lexus needs?

The dealer suggested me to change oil pan seals and valve cover gasket for $850.00.

and ATF change for $190. (This is Toyota dealer not Lexus dealer).

I took to other places they told me that I need to change all seals and gaskets and entire engine needs to be

remove which will cost $2000.

Please let me know what do you suggest? Also I have done tune up when the mileage was 90K, now it is 147K.

Do I need to change the spark plugs?, I put in platinum sp at that time.

Thanks.

Amir,

As long as the car has a minor oil leak that drips a small amount on the driveway, why fix it? After all, the car is 11 years old and how many more years will you have it before you trade? It'll be far cheaper to put oil into the car to make up for what comes out of a small leak, than the $850 to $1000 you've been quoted for the fix. As far as the tranny fluid flush and refill is concerned, that might be a good idea at your mileage, but I would check around on the cost. It sounds too high for a filter and fluid change. Good Luck!

Amir,

As long as the car has a minor oil leak that drips a small amount on the driveway, why fix it? After all, the car is 11 years old and how many more years will you have it before you trade? It'll be far cheaper to put oil into the car to make up for what comes out of a small leak, than the $850 to $1000 you've been quoted for the fix. As far as the tranny fluid flush and refill is concerned, that might be a good idea at your mileage, but I would check around on the cost. It sounds too high for a filter and fluid change. Good Luck!

Thanks, Is Type 4 ATF is the one for Lexus? any brand matters?

My ES is a '95 with 220k. I've replaced my valve cover gaskets (seems hard to do but it's not - the thing to know is how to make that huge wiring harness just fall away from the rear cover). They're important to change if they're leaking because that gets oil all over your engine and especially the exhaust manifolds and it makes smoke.

My axle seals are leaking a small bit and my rear main seal is too. I debated going through all that to change them out but then thought, 'the leaks aren't that bad and the work to get that transmission out is unbelievable, especially if you don't have a lift. Getting the right shaft support bearing un-stuck is another one.

It all depends on just how bad it's leaking. Fix valve cover gaskets for sure if they're leaking, change out the front seal and cam seals for sure the next time you go through the timing belt/water pump. As far as the rear main seal and axle seals, really consider and then re-consider because they're very tough to do.

As for the oil pan(s), those suckers should be sealed for life from the factory. If you're seeing oil on it, it's likely coming from the front and/or rear seals - again you really have to be flexible when you decide to do it or not.

Just my .02¢

• 12 years later...

I have  an 05 Lexus es330 and I smell burnt oil through my ac and exhaust.. and there is a lil humming sound coming from somewhere from time to time it has 167000 miles and I purchased it about 7 months ago.. I also see oil residue in the front of the engine indicating that there is a leak... What should I do and where should I go.. I live in Atlanta and prices are high for the basics especially car maintenance not wanting to but will spend the some money being that I plan on keeping it for 2yrs then trade ... also I think the previous owner had system and rims because my suspension is unusually high for a Lexus es330 a bit higher than most plus I have these lil black wires coming from under the gear changer