Buying A 1994 Ls400... I Know I Know Theres Lots Of Em

Kanos

This is my first post on the forum, but I am not new to them. I did look at the Buying Guides and it gave me some helpful info....but i just don't know.

My situation is a 1994 LS400 with 146,000 miles. The problem is there is not a Lexus Dealer thats closer than 30 miles and i don't think the dealer is gonna want me to go that far to get it checked out. I love the cars styling, and I know it is a good car. The few things im worried about is the Timing Chain, water pump, and suspension components. What are some tall tail signs that they are bad, or that they have been replaced? Is there a way to check the service records without going to the dealership.

I dont want to make the wrong decision, but the car is so nice I dont want to get a head of myself and be haste in my purchase.

I got him to 5400 after taxes here is the car...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/592409478.html

These look like the most beautiful car I have ever seen and seem perfect for what I want. I was looking at a Cadillac STS but after seeing all the mechanical problems compared to these who could resist.

This is my first post on the forum, but I am not new to them. I did look at the Buying Guides and it gave me some helpful info....but i just don't know.

My situation is a 1994 LS400 with 146,000 miles. The problem is there is not a Lexus Dealer thats closer than 30 miles and i don't think the dealer is gonna want me to go that far to get it checked out. I love the cars styling, and I know it is a good car. The few things im worried about is the Timing Chain, water pump, and suspension components. What are some tall tail signs that they are bad, or that they have been replaced? Is there a way to check the service records without going to the dealership.

I dont want to make the wrong decision, but the car is so nice I dont want to get a head of myself and be haste in my purchase.

These look like the most beautiful car I have ever seen and seem perfect for what I want. I was looking at a Cadillac STS but after seeing all the mechanical problems compared to these who could resist.

Let's see...

You are about to spend $5400.00 for a used car and you think 30 miles is too far to go for a VIN check and maybe a pre-purchase inspection...

Offer the selling dealer a copy of the PPI anbd see if they will let you take the car that 30 miles.

Let's see...

You are about to spend $5400.00 for a used car and you think 30 miles is too far to go for a VIN check and maybe a pre-purchase inspection...

Offer the selling dealer a copy of the PPI anbd see if they will let you take the car that 30 miles.

How much will a pre purchase inspection run me?

Let's see...

How much will a pre purchase inspection run me?

Kanos, Here is the carfax on the 94 ls400.......

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

04/16/1994 NICB Vehicle manufactured

and shipped to original dealer

08/02/1994 40 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Daytona Beach, FL

Title #67349142 Odometer reading reported

08/24/1994 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Daytona Beach, FL

Title #67349142 Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Loan or lien reported

Registered as lease vehicle

11/27/1995 20,995 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Winter Park, FL

12/29/1995 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Winter Park, FL

Loan or lien reported

09/24/1998 45,827 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Winter Park, FL

11/09/1998 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Winter Park, FL

Loan or lien reported

09/24/2000 55,116 Service Plan Co.

Winter Park, FL Service contract issued

12/18/2000 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Winter Park, FL

Title #0067349142 Title issued or updated

Loan or lien reported

12/14/2001 64,686 Service Plan Co. Service contract claim

Vehicle serviced

06/27/2002 67,726 Dealer Inventory

Winter Park, FL Vehicle offered for sale

07/15/2002 68,025 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Davenport, FL

Title #0067349142 Odometer reading reported

07/23/2002 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Davenport, FL

New owner reported

Loan or lien reported

07/31/2002 68,960 Service Plan Co.

Davenport, FL Service contract issued

08/06/2002 69,036 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

www.toyotaofwinterhaven.com

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

Battery replaced

12/24/2002 74,032 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed

03/07/2003 76,288 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

05/12/2003 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Davenport, FL

Title #0067349142 Registration issued or renewed

Registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

Vehicle color noted as White

12/08/2003 87,314 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

Brakes checked

04/08/2004 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Davenport, FL

Registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

03/30/2005 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Kissimmee, FL

Registration issued or renewed

New owner reported

Registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

Exempt from odometer reporting

04/07/2006 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Kissimmee, FL

Registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

04/15/2007 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Kissimmee, FL

Registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

01/09/2008 145,264 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

01/10/2008 Dealer Inventory Vehicle sold

01/15/2008 145,386 Auto Auction Sold at auction

in Florida

Listed as

a dealer vehicle

CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed

No Problem

Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon

Guaranteed

No Problem

Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed

No Problem

GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX

Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated

Accident Check

No accidents reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Lexus dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

No data reported to CARFAX.

No Data Reported

You owe m a beer :cheers:

[

12/24/2002 74,032 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed

03/07/2003 76,288 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

05/12/2003 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Davenport, FL

Registered as

personal vehicle

Loan or lien reported

12/08/2003 87,314 Toyota of Winter Haven

Winter Haven, FL

863-956-1123

ww.toyotaofwinterha

ven.com Vehicle serviced

Brakes checked

You owe m a beer :cheers:

The service was performed at 74k, whats the timing belt at, 90k or 60K?

I think a car with your mileage is a crap shoot. My 94LS has 115 K miles, but it was born and raised in Nevada and Arizona-one previous owner, and has never seen much snow, slush, wind or even rain. Minimal city traffic, too. The only time I went to a Lexus dealer was for the history print-out-The only free thing you'll get at a Lexus dealer. Always garage kept for 4 years. It has cost me about $70 a month maintenance, primarily for the timing chain and water pump at 100K. Many bulbs, ignition wires, the famous ACV valve on the very famous P/S pump, which hasn't died yet. Oh, Instrument cluster repair, too, and new brakes and rotors twice. Say 3 grand in 4 years, more or less, and I did a lot of the work myself, thanks to this forum. My point is that the car runs like a smooth cruiser, but it isn't cheap to maintain. You don't ever want to bring it to a Lexus stealer for anything-do it yourself, or find an honest local indie shop. If you want a luxury ride in an old car. the Lexus is one of the best-but it will cost you to maintain it.

But then again, the car being so old, you save a bundle on registration. Plus you save on insurance-why put collision and comprehensive on an old pretty beater? But for 5 grand or so, I would probably lean towards buying a smaller not quite as old car. It might not be a Lexus, but it sure will be simpler to maintain. With less cylinders and less options that can go bad. Like the left side ignition coil that a member had a problem with last week, that I helped him repair-since it went bad on me 3 months ago. More coils, more wires, more plugs, more possible problems.

All IMHO. Best of luck.

Now I was under the impression that these vehicles were pretty reliable.....but from what your saying it doesnt seem that wat. Does everyone feel this way?

And yes thank you, atleast i know its never been wrecked....atleast reportedly so.

Hers a virtual beer(best i could do)

Drive the car and do what your heart tells you. We will help you but there is a price to pay on these cars. It's low mileage and the 90k service by Lexus is about $1400. TexasLexus must have lost the primary...LOL..what a choice, two !Removed! and a nut or a boob and two nuts..A fine car, Kanos but there are some glitches and that is why you found us. You will fight the rest of your life to keep one in your stall. Good Luck and follow your heart.

Now I was under the impression that these vehicles were pretty reliable.....but from what your saying it doesnt seem that wat. Does everyone feel this way?

And yes thank you, atleast i know its never been wrecked....atleast reportedly so.

Hers a virtual beer(best i could do)

Thanks, I was awfully thirsty after that Carfax. :cheers:

Ok, I decided to scrap the ninety four, not completely but overlook it for now becuase of the way the dealers tried to sell it. I get its there job but they were lying to me and i knew it.

So, now I found a 1996 LS400 One dent in the front fender...not sure how much a fender and paint costs. IT also has a leak where the EGR vavle house connects to the cadilatic converter..(thats just what he told me I do not know what it looks like,) 120,000 miles with new breaks tires and TIMING BELT. This is all for six, and im sure i can low ball him to 52-5300. What do you think if its as good as he says??

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/590354367.html

Ok, I decided to scrap the ninety four, not completely but overlook it for now becuase of the way the dealers tried to sell it. I get its there job but they were lying to me and i knew it.

So, now I found a 1996 LS400 One dent in the front fender...not sure how much a fender and paint costs. IT also has a leak where the EGR vavle house connects to the cadilatic converter..(thats just what he told me I do not know what it looks like,) 120,000 miles with new breaks tires and TIMING BELT. This is all for six, and im sure i can low ball him to 52-5300. What do you think if its as good as he says??

If you do not plan on doing the work yourself to fix that problem, the labor will probably be very expensive. Between that and the cosmetic work, probably expensive enough that you could find a car in better condition for the same amount of money.

If you do not plan on doing the work yourself to fix that problem, the labor will probably be very expensive. Between that and the cosmetic work, probably expensive enough that you could find a car in better condition for the same amount of money.

I was going to do the work myself, but it doesnt matter I saw rust bubbling under the passenger rear fender and said nope to an offer of 5200. Although I wish it was in better shape becuase he had put new tie rods and ball joints in the front. He had also replaced timing belt and water pump, and new tires. So it was hard but i want a car that is mechanically sound as well as looks good.