Overdrive Light Goes On&off When Engine Is Cold

dooookie

hi,

i was just wondering if anyone knew why the overdrive light in the dash would keep flashin' for a couple of minutes then go off when engine is cold and in drive position...

thank you

frank

You may have enough miles on the engine that it's a bit tired and can no longer, when cold, produce the torque required at the low RPM required to be in OD.

Or the OD lockup clutch is worn enough that it is simply slipping a bit until the ATF/transmission warms. Checked the ATF condition lately?

hi,

i was just wondering if anyone knew why the overdrive light in the dash would keep flashin' for a couple of minutes then go off when engine is cold and in drive position...

thank you

frank

You may have enough miles on the engine that it's a bit tired and can no longer, when cold, produce the torque required at the low RPM required to be in OD.

Or the OD lockup clutch is worn enough that it is simply slipping a bit until the ATF/transmission warms. Checked the ATF condition lately?

nop! my prestone and my tranny oil are the only fluids i didnt have time to change. I'll do that as soon as possible then!

Do you recommend a certain ATF oil?

thank you!

Frank

Personally I would only use Toyota automatic transmission fluid.
Do you recommend a certain ATF oil?

thank you!

Frank

Agreed. That is the only kind I use in my transmission. The cost difference between Toyota ATF fluid and the other brands is insignificant. To me, it is worth the extra couple of dollars to use what I know is the correct kind.

hi,

thank you

frank

What year car do you have? More than likely its the fault code alert signal for the transmission. Do a code check on your car and observe the codes that the OD lamp indicates and report back here for some help. How you do it depends on the onboard diagnostics for your year. Pre 1998 is easy with a wire, post needs an OBDII reader.