Help! Navi Dvd For Europe

I recently purchased a certified pre-owned 2006 rx400h with Nav.

I brought it to Europe & I am stucked here.

Please someone help. Do I need a new US DVD with European maps? Lexus guys here (Romania) said European DVD did not fit the US RX400h.

I would very much appreciate any hint. Thanks.

There is no US DVD with European maps, and yes European map DVDs do not work in North American cars. Lexus Europe has a website to order map upgrades, but there is a dislcaimer on there that says European DVDs do not work in North American cars. Supposedly the navigation computers are different, but not totally sure.

Btw, have you tried to get any warranty work done on your vehicle? Reason I ask is your warranty only applies in the US. Lexus Europe is under no obligation to repair your vehicle under warranty as spelled out in your warranty booklet.

There is no US DVD with European maps, and yes European map DVDs do not work in North American cars. Lexus Europe has a website to order map upgrades, but there is a dislcaimer on there that says European DVDs do not work in North American cars. Supposedly the navigation computers are different, but not totally sure.

Btw, have you tried to get any warranty work done on your vehicle? Reason I ask is your warranty only applies in the US. Lexus Europe is under no obligation to repair your vehicle under warranty as spelled out in your warranty booklet.

You really gave me whole a lot of bunch of good news ... Unfortunately, you are right. I checked with Lexus Europe: no warranty and no maps. So what am I suppose to do now?

• 4 weeks later...

You really gave me whole a lot of bunch of good news ... Unfortunately, you are right. I checked with Lexus Europe: no warranty and no maps. So what am I suppose to do now?

My friend,

You need to be more creative here. The reason why it doesn't work is most likely DVD zoning. It is same thing with movie dvd's. Just get euro map dvd then rip it, and burn it back on dvd without any zone limitations. There are plenty of free software out there able to do it. When you done load it to your car, and let me know how it worked.... ;)

Do you really think they would set up another production line just to make different navi hardware for US market? I don't think so....

Good Luck!

Exactly what I was thinking... that's the only reason I can come up with too... There might be a problem with finding the right dvd though.. Since the nav has been upgraded lately, not just the maps, but also the software (I noticed many menus and items on my current RX400H are different than they were on my euro RX330) Don't know if this has any influence, probably not since the DVD just contains the map info and nothing else.

Which country did you import it to?

I'm wondering since a family member is asking me to buy him a RX and I would like to know more about doing such a transfer.

Exactly what I was thinking... that's the only reason I can come up with too... There might be a problem with finding the right dvd though.. Since the nav has been upgraded lately, not just the maps, but also the software (I noticed many menus and items on my current RX400H are different than they were on my euro RX330) Don't know if this has any influence, probably not since the DVD just contains the map info and nothing else.

Which country did you import it to?

I'm wondering since a family member is asking me to buy him a RX and I would like to know more about doing such a transfer.

I have not tried it yet, because i don't have access to euro dvd. I'm moving back to poland (from US) in few months, and I want to bring my 450h aboard. I would be very upset if I won't be able to use Nav... Anyways, you can always buy the unit for euro model, and swap it. I'll bet you it would work...

I will continue to hunt down the euro dvd here in US, so I can test it out. I will keep you updated... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also planning on bringing my 400h to Poland within a few months and have also looked into this issue as well. It turns out that the warranty is definitely not honored in Europe. Unfortunately, the bad news continues since the Nav system will not work either. As it turns out the European model uses a different reader/computer which is even made by a different company, so simply switching the DVD will not suffice. Btw. there also is no way to switch the display from miles to kilometers and the climate control from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

Something I haven't been able to find out is whether the auto turning HID lights need to bee replaced to meet the asymmetrical European standards. If someone has gone through some of these issues please respond.

I'm also planning on bringing my 400h to Poland within a few months and have also looked into this issue as well. It turns out that the warranty is definitely not honored in Europe. Unfortunately, the bad news continues since the Nav system will not work either. As it turns out the European model uses a different reader/computer which is even made by a different company, so simply switching the DVD will not suffice. Btw. there also is no way to switch the display from miles to kilometers and the climate control from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

Something I haven't been able to find out is whether the auto turning HID lights need to bee replaced to meet the asymmetrical European standards. If someone has gone through some of these issues please respond.

Hello everyone,

I am planning to import a lexus 400h to Sweden from the US and the only major concern is of course the navigation system. I called a lexus dealer in Stockholm who told me that he had a client who had bought the hardware that had to be replaced (which as I understand is situated somewhere in the trunk area) in the US for a much better price than he would have paid in Sweden. Does anyone know where you can purhcase a European reader/computer in the US or have any further info in relation to this?

Hello everyone,

I am planning to import a lexus 400h to Sweden from the US and the only major concern is of course the navigation system. I called a lexus dealer in Stockholm who told me that he had a client who had bought the hardware that had to be replaced (which as I understand is situated somewhere in the trunk area) in the US for a much better price than he would have paid in Sweden. Does anyone know where you can purhcase a European reader/computer in the US or have any further info in relation to this?

OK,

I'm willing to invest some of my time and money to find out exactly what's the deal with this hardware "differences". I still believe it is just the issue of DVD reader country zone. I'm going to buy euro dvd to test it on my car, and will post my results. Let's keep our fingers crossed... :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

Hello

I have just bought a 400h (2007) in US and it ships now to Sweden. I have also heard that you must change the hardware to a EU and that you can buy the EU-unit cheaper in US. I will try to get the partnumber from my Lexus workshop i Stockholm.

Hello everyone,

Hello

I have just bought a 400h (2007) in US and it ships now to Sweden. I have also heard that you must change the hardware to a EU and that you can buy the EU-unit cheaper in US. I will try to get the partnumber from my Lexus workshop i Stockholm.

HI.... I AM NEW TO THIS CLUB... AND I THINK THIS IS A GREAT FORUM.... :D

I WILL IMPORT MY LEXUS RX400H TO SWITZERLAND.... HAS ANYONE SOLVED THE NAVIGATION ISSUE???

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP... AND I AM PROMISE...NEXT TIME I WILL NOT USE CAPSLOCK ANYMORE ;)

(previous quotes removed)...

I'm struggling with the same problem (US Lexus in Europe, navigation DVD's). I haven't solved the problem yet, so would appreciate any suggestions.

Lexus: Why don't you contact Denso and supply a DVD? (Denso won't respond to non-OEM inquiries).

To be clear, the problem isn't DVD 'region' as someone suggested. I believe that only applies to videos and the DVD in question is data and program files.

I tried 'merging' a Denso Europe DVD with the US DVD that came with the car. Didn't work; there might be version compability issues, etc. Even tried editing alldata.kwi but didn't help...

Hi again

I still wait for my 400h 2007 from US to Sweden and I shall first try to solve the NAV the software way. The plan B is to buy a EU DVD READER (Lexus part nr: 86841-48060). This reader is much cheaper to buy in the US (they say). The US READER for this car has the part nr: 86841-48030. Can anybody confirm this information (is it the same conectors??)

Best regards Nils

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm shipping my US 2006 RX400h to switzerland....anyoby was able to found a way to solve the navigation issue ?

I read on a gemann car forum that in europe Jaguar, some ford and some mazda 6 are using a denso nav unit as USA lexus are and that some DVD works on our US system.

I'm still investigating and will post if i get solutions

Joballe

I have the factory NAV in my 08 GS450H and the RX400H it replaced. From What I have been reading regarding all the problems you would all be better off buying a Garmin 7500 street pilot for about $1,000 and putting it on the dashboard. The factory NAV is never used, but the backup camera and other display that come with the factory NAV make it worth while having, But buying a Garmin 7500 will solve your problem in the time it takes to plug it into the dash, I do a lot of driving between NY & SC and also drove a lot between NY and TX in the past. The Garmin beats the Lexus unit in performance and it will be cheaper and require less work than switching the Lexus to work in Europe

• 3 weeks later...
Hi again

I still wait for my 400h 2007 from US to Sweden and I shall first try to solve the NAV the software way. The plan B is to buy a EU DVD READER (Lexus part nr: 86841-48060). This reader is much cheaper to buy in the US (they say). The US READER for this car has the part nr: 86841-48030. Can anybody confirm this information (is it the same conectors??)

Best regards Nils

Hi Nils,

I spoke to a lexus work shop in Malmö, Sweden and they say that the DVD reader installed in my 400h (2006) is Nav03 and that this reader without any configurations will read the european map but of course there is one catch; I will not be able to use the function to write in the location and pinpoint that location and instead I will have to click on the map manually to find my location and after that it will take me there. To have all functions working properly the dvd reader must be switched and I have also heard that such a reader is cheaper in the states. My US reader part No. is 86841-50090 and the EU reader that should fit my car has No. 86841-50101 or 86841- 50100. Do you know where you can buy a EU reader in the states or do you have any other information that can help me?

BR

Jacob

• 4 weeks later...
Hi again

Best regards Nils

Hi Nils,

I spoke to a lexus work shop in Malmö, Sweden and they say that the DVD reader installed in my 400h (2006) is Nav03 and that this reader without any configurations will read the european map but of course there is one catch; I will not be able to use the function to write in the location and pinpoint that location and instead I will have to click on the map manually to find my location and after that it will take me there. To have all functions working properly the dvd reader must be switched and I have also heard that such a reader is cheaper in the states. My US reader part No. is 86841-50090 and the EU reader that should fit my car has No. 86841-50101 or 86841- 50100. Do you know where you can buy a EU reader in the states or do you have any other information that can help me?

BR

Jacob

Hi all, do you have any progress to report on this? I am planning to move an RX 400h 2007 from us to europe. Many thanks!

(previous quote removed as it is irrelevant... the purpose of the post is to find a way to use the integrated nav system, of course one can buy an external system at any time)

Guys, did you find any solutions to the problem? There are many people with the same problem, so the moment one finds a workable solution and posts it, it will help many people.

What I have heard and will verify within a month or so is that 2006 and 2007 us models (us dvd readers) work partially with the new European DVD. But I don't know if this is indeed the case, neither "partial operation" is good enough :)

Replacing the us dvd reader will only work if the connections are the same (as mentioned by a previous quote) and we don;t know if this is the case, plus it is too expensive.

Merging the two DVDs may or may not work, as it is not obvious that the two different companies (denso and asion I think) use the same format for the indexing of the maps.

Denso will not spend resources to create a DVD with european maps unless Lexus asks for it, but it won't. (If I knew this Lexus policy beforehand I would have never bought a lexus as a matter of principle.)

Running out of ideas...

I have the factory NAV in my 08 GS450H and the RX400H it replaced. From What I have been reading regarding all the problems you would all be better off buying a Garmin 7500 street pilot for about $1,000 and putting it on the dashboard. The factory NAV is never used, but the backup camera and other display that come with the factory NAV make it worth while having, But buying a Garmin 7500 will solve your problem in the time it takes to plug it into the dash, I do a lot of driving between NY & SC and also drove a lot between NY and TX in the past. The Garmin beats the Lexus unit in performance and it will be cheaper and require less work than switching the Lexus to work in Europe

Does anyone found any solution with navi in europe (greece)??

Is there any download link where we can download the european dvd with the greek maps and after rip it to a dvd with ntsc code?

Is there any way that this will fix the problem???

Thank you in advance...

• 2 months later...

Is there any download link where we can download the european dvd with the greek maps and after rip it to a dvd with ntsc code?

Thank you in advance...

Hi,

I have the same problem in Athens Greece. Did you come up with a solution? :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance...

Hi,

I have the same problem in Athens Greece. Did you come up with a solution? :rolleyes:

I have same problem too. And I am tring to use US EMV to read Taiwan GPS maps. Still no solution.

I hate to seem ignorant here, but wouldn't this have a better chance of being solved if it were posted in the Europe/UK forums instead of the US/Canada forums?

I realize that these are US cars being used in Europe, but the odds that we have experience with Europe DVD experience here in North America is a bit of a stretch.

Good Luck!

+1

Seems like the simplest sollution would be to go to the local junk yard. Get the NAV DVD player out of the junked car (either the Lexus or similar Toyoto), put your European DVD into it (the one it's designed for) & you'd be good to go. Double check w/ the dealer's service tech, he'll likely say that's the way to go.

Thankl you all. In the meanwhile, I found out from Lexus service in Greece, that if you replace the NAV DVD player to another one and I quote "NAVIGATION ESU ASSY , serial number 86841-50101" , it would work for sure. They have installed it already on another US imported car and it worked fine. They suggested that I should try to find it on ebay or another site , or in a junk yard (most likely in Germany), because it is too expensive to buy it new. (something around 4.000 Euros). I have already looked for it but no luck yet. Do your research as well and we'll be in touch. :rolleyes: