Aftermarket Dvd Entertainment System (04 Gx)

lovemygx

I have an '04 GX470 loaded with everything except the DVD Entertainment package. I'd like to get one installed (2nd row overhead). Has anyone had this done? And, if so, what kind did buy? where'd you have it installed? I'm in NC. Any advice for me on the subject? thx.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an '04 GX470 loaded with everything except the DVD Entertainment package. I'd like to get one installed (2nd row overhead). Has anyone had this done? And, if so, what kind did buy? where'd you have it installed? I'm in NC. Any advice for me on the subject? thx.

I would not suggest anything bigger than 9". If at all possible get a flip down with a built in DVD and FM modulator. Unfortunately, the wiring for the factory dvd is located under the console for the shifter. Make sure that you route your wires so they do not interfere with the "curtain airbags". It would be easier if you just install headrest monitors because you will not have to route too many wires. I have 7" headrests and a 10.4 flip down. When you decide to do your install, I will give you some details to take the seat apart for the headrest.

• 11 months later...

I would not suggest anything bigger than 9". If at all possible get a flip down with a built in DVD and FM modulator. Unfortunately, the wiring for the factory dvd is located under the console for the shifter. Make sure that you route your wires so they do not interfere with the "curtain airbags". It would be easier if you just install headrest monitors because you will not have to route too many wires. I have 7" headrests and a 10.4 flip down. When you decide to do your install, I will give you some details to take the seat apart for the headrest.

I just purchased an Alpine 10.2" flip down monitor/dvd player, and was planning to do the install myself. Could you provide me with tips around wiring, also where you tapped for power? Thanks! lamar_arboleda@hotmail.com

I also have an 04 GX - I bought a 9" clarion and had it installed by a local shop. It has a FM mod so you have to tune your radio to a certain frequency to get the sound from the speaker system. The clarion comes with two sets of wireless headphones which are really good. The picture is one of the best in business. My advice would be to go with a good name brand. Saving a few buck on this is not worth it. My installation cost about $150 and the tech did an excellent job he got the power wired straight from the battery with additional fuses etc. Really clean job and would recommend him if you are in the DC metro area.

I also have an 04 GX - I bought a 9" clarion and had it installed by a local shop. It has a FM mod so you have to tune your radio to a certain frequency to get the sound from the speaker system. The clarion comes with two sets of wireless headphones which are really good. The picture is one of the best in business. My advice would be to go with a good name brand. Saving a few buck on this is not worth it. My installation cost about $150 and the tech did an excellent job he got the power wired straight from the battery with additional fuses etc. Really clean job and would recommend him if you are in the DC metro area.

Thanks for the reco, unfortunately, I'm in socal...Do you know where he ran the wire, esp. in lieu of the moonroof, as well as the side curtain airbags? Also, any other suggestions to tap the wiring as opposed to the battery up in the engine bay? I'm assuming might be easier to grab behind the existing radio harness/panel when the in-line modulator is installed???

Thanks for the reco, unfortunately, I'm in socal...Do you know where he ran the wire, esp. in lieu of the moonroof, as well as the side curtain airbags? Also, any other suggestions to tap the wiring as opposed to the battery up in the engine bay? I'm assuming might be easier to grab behind the existing radio harness/panel when the in-line modulator is installed???

The stock wiring for a DVD system is located under the shift knob area. It is on the top right and if you dont have an existing DVD player is just a white plug. I found it easier to remove the center console and run wires from there to the side pillars. I used a wire hanger (Plastic coated) to run the wires through the roof to the pillars. I just made sure that I did not force it to get to where I needed it. Dont know if this helps but this is how I managed to get mine installed.