Telescoping Steering Column Feature

fkleba

The telescoping steering column feature on my 99 LS 400 has gone kaput. It will move in and/or out very slowly only if I push or pull on the steering wheel while operating the control switch on the steering column. After making a diy diagnosis, I found the problem is excessive friction within the telescoping mechanism itself. I disconnected the worm gear drive from the sliding tubes and found I could move the steering wheel in and out manually, but I really had to put some uumph into it. I mean uumph. Once I overcame the initial resistance, the column would release and bang into the stop at the other end of the stroke. I’ve tried several different lubes and attempted to work them in by physically moving the column in and out, but no luck. The level of friction has not changed. I’m wondering if there is some kind of a tension adjustment in the mechanism to take up the slack between the tubes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

The telescoping steering column feature on my 99 LS 400 has gone kaput. It will move in and/or out very slowly only if I push or pull on the steering wheel while operating the control switch on the steering column. After making a diy diagnosis, I found the problem is excessive friction within the telescoping mechanism itself. I disconnected the worm gear drive from the sliding tubes and found I could move the steering wheel in and out manually, but I really had to put some uumph into it. I mean uumph. Once I overcame the initial resistance, the column would release and bang into the stop at the other end of the stroke. I’ve tried several different lubes and attempted to work them in by physically moving the column in and out, but no luck. The level of friction has not changed. I’m wondering if there is some kind of a tension adjustment in the mechanism to take up the slack between the tubes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

There is a TSB for the 95-97 series (may apply to yours also, didn't take note) that involves relocating a portion of the wiring harness near the connector to the telescoping position feedback sensor.

There are at least three TSIBs for the tilt/telescope problems on the 98-00 LS400. I posted them on this thread in another Lexus forum: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...;highlight=tilt

Last time one of my fellow 98-00 LS400 owner friends checked, getting the work done on an out of warranty car was going to cost about $2000.