Asked This One Over At Sc But No Replies. Oil Change...

ED.

My aunt asked me if I could change the oil on her '92 SC and I said sure bring it by when I do some suspension stuff on my other BMW. I am not use to oil filters on the block I wasnt sure what all came with the oil filter kit. Is that it just the filter and thats all?

The kits I buy for the German cars are a bit different and they come with an o-ring and a washer for the drain plug. Would I need to buy a washer seperately then? Would it be ok to use an AutoZone brand assuming they have one? My BMW board said those filters dont come with washers but other posts said yes. Wanted to as you all.

TIA,

My aunt asked me if I could change the oil on her '92 SC and I said sure bring it by when I do some suspension stuff on my other BMW. I am not use to oil filters on the block I wasnt sure what all came with the oil filter kit. Is that it just the filter and thats all?

The kits I buy for the German cars are a bit different and they come with an o-ring and a washer for the drain plug. Would I need to buy a washer seperately then? Would it be ok to use an AutoZone brand assuming they have one? My BMW board said those filters dont come with washers but other posts said yes. Wanted to as you all.

TIA,

I bought a 10-pack of filters from the local Lex dealer for $50. Individually they were 8 or 9 bucks if I recall. The Toyota filters come all ready to go with an O-ring packed with some light grease

and sealed with pull-off plastic tab to keep the dirt out. Very nice. The dealer also threw in a pack of drain plug washers too.

I bought the same 10 pack of V8 engine oil filters from a Toyota dealer last year for $40 and they threw in a 10 pack of oil plug gaskets - same as they did twice previously. Their single filter price was about $5.00. Lexus and Toyota V8 vehicles use the same filter.

I recommend staying away from aftermarket oil filters. Yes, the drain plug washer is sold separately. Some people don't change the drain plug washer but I always do.

Thanks guys! I will call Toyota and see if they can hook me up and then have her go by there and get the filter. Hopefully I can do it but Im sure I will have some snow bothering me some how. We got hit hard today here in the so. midwest. Sheesh! Im ready for spring.

forgot to mention that the site i mentioned sells only OEM parts. dealer charges 11$ if you buy it from the parts store and 8$ if you buy it online.