Real World Mpg For Lexus Ls 400. Please Advise

Crusty1

OK. Hello to everyone. First post. Really want to pull the trigger on a used LS 400...first or 2nd gen. My beloved Camry of 16 years has a fried motor at only 152K. I can drop a JDM motor/tranny in it for less than 1k but that's if I do the work myself. But with gas approaching record prices I really need to know what MPG I can expect from an LS 400. My camry was good for a solid 15/25 on average. I've heard some people say they've gotten 25-28 MPG hwy with their LS 400. It 's so hard to believe---though I want to!--that a 4.0 lite V8r can get better than a 3.00 L v6. That's got to be some awesome Japanese luxury mojo goin' on here. I've got a budget of $5-10K for a cash deal. Prices on Ebay are so tempting because they're bascially selling at wholesale. I want something as clean as I can afford but am willing to the distance and drop a new engine or tranny if I really like the car once I've had it awhile. I looking for a car for the next 10-15 years so I don't have to come out of semi-retirement just to make my payments! Thanks for the great advice in advance. Dennis

PS. My dad bought the very first Toyota Corolla in our little town of 10k back in 1971. Everybody laughed at him for buying a "rice burner." We've owned countless Toys in our family every since. With Toyota now the 2nd largest car mgf. in the world...who's laughing now? Lexus is the crem de la crem!

OK. Hello to everyone. First post. Really want to pull the trigger on a used LS 400...first or 2nd gen. My beloved Camry of 16 years has a fried motor at only 152K. I can drop a JDM motor/tranny in it for less than 1k but that's if I do the work myself. But with gas approaching record prices I really need to know what MPG I can expect from an LS 400. My camry was good for a solid 15/25 on average. I've heard some people say they've gotten 25-28 MPG hwy with their LS 400. It 's so hard to believe---though I want to!--that a 4.0 lite V8r can get better than a 3.00 L v6. That's got to be some awesome Japanese luxury mojo goin' on here. I've got a budget of $5-10K for a cash deal. Prices on Ebay are so tempting because they're bascially selling at wholesale. I want something as clean as I can afford but am willing to the distance and drop a new engine or tranny if I really like the car once I've had it awhile. I looking for a car for the next 10-15 years so I don't have to come out of semi-retirement just to make my payments! Thanks for the great advice in advance. Dennis

PS. My dad bought the very first Toyota Corolla in our little town of 10k back in 1971. Everybody laughed at him for buying a "rice burner." We've owned countless Toys in our family every since. With Toyota now the 2nd largest car mgf. in the world...who's laughing now? Lexus is the crem de la crem!

On a resent trip to Portland and return (390 miles) our well worn, 211,000 miles, '95 LS400 got almost 27 MPG (14.55 gallons) with an average moving speed (Garmin) of ~66 MPH.

4000 mile trip in a '98 LS400, average speed ~65 MPH mostly on cruise control, total trip fuel economy 30.8 MPG. Current tank average in my 2004 LS430, local driving with maybe 25% freeway mixed in running at 19.2 MPG.

Vern

4000 mile trip in a '98 LS400, average speed ~65 MPH mostly on cruise control, total trip fuel economy 30.8 MPG. Current tank average in my 2004 LS430, local driving with maybe 25% freeway mixed in running at 19.2 MPG.

Vern

Holy smoke! If I could get 28mpg I'd be in petrol heaven!!!!

1995 LS nearing 308,000 miles: I get in the 13's in 100% city (a small town with trips no longer than 10 minutes.), and 29-30mpg strictly on the hwy with a/c running, running around 75-80mph.

My 91 LS400 with 126k miles does 20 to 22 mpg in my 29 mile commute which is mixed open highway and stop and go. I have got 24.5 mpg on highway with cruise doing about 70. Since this is not too far off my wife's Honda C-RV, I am pretty happy with my elegant Lexus. I would love to know the secrets of even higher mpg's. I drive very conservatively most of the time, babying my car along and enjoying the drive. About every third tank, I will floor it for at least one full tilt acceleration to keep the catalytic converter cleaned out (and maybe for a little fun!). I am using Shell V-Tech 93 Octane and really liking it

On a resent trip to Portland and return (390 miles) our well worn, 211,000 miles, '95 LS400 got almost 27 MPG (14.55 gallons) with an average moving speed (Garmin) of ~66 MPH.

post-53431-1204684259_thumb.jpg

My 91 LS400 with 126k miles does 20 to 22 mpg in my 29 mile commute which is mixed open highway and stop and go. I have got 24.5 mpg on highway with cruise doing about 70. Since this is not too far off my wife's Honda C-RV, I am pretty happy with my elegant Lexus. I would love to know the secrets of even higher mpg's. I drive very conservatively most of the time, babying my car along and enjoying the drive. About every third tank, I will floor it for at least one full tilt acceleration to keep the catalytic converter cleaned out (and maybe for a little fun!). I am using Shell V-Tech 93 Octane and really liking it

Yeah. I think now with gas prices what they are would be a great time to revisit any legit mods to increase fuel milage. I'm leaning towards getting a 97-99 now that I've spent the last 3 hours reading more than I needed too!

the most i got was on the drive home from purchasing my 97 LS.

27.8mpg

And that was before I changed the horribly (most likely forgotten about) air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, seafoam, cleaned the throttle body, optima battery, etc....

Now I'm averaging 20-high 22's with a city/highway mix.

my car is a 95 LS400 .... with about 127,000 miles ... I really keep the fluids/filters clean ..... and I drive conservatively, as I like to save gas and get great milage, if at all possible. I have to climb long grades where I live .... I get in the truck lane and go about 55 ... see what I mean when I say "conservative"? (^-^)

I am in California and right now they are feeding us "winter fuel" right now ... that stuff sucks ... I always get 1 to 2 miles LESS milage in the winter.

with "summer grade" fuel I can get about 26 to 27 MPG on the highway ..... not bad considering the size and weight of the car.

I owned a 1999 LS400 for a while also and with that car I was able to get about 27 MPG on the highway .....

remember ..... in your Camry you did not need to run Premium Grade Fuel, but in a Lexus LS you do. Yes ..... it is not that your LS will not run on regular grade fuel .... but the requirement is for Premium Grade Gas.

my car is a 95 LS400 .... with about 127,000 miles ... I really keep the fluids/filters clean ..... and I drive conservatively, as I like to save gas and get great milage, if at all possible. I have to climb long grades where I live .... I get in the truck lane and go about 55 ... see what I mean when I say "conservative"? (^-^)

I am in California and right now they are feeding us "winter fuel" right now ... that stuff sucks ... I always get 1 to 2 miles LESS milage in the winter.

with "summer grade" fuel I can get about 26 to 27 MPG on the highway ..... not bad considering the size and weight of the car.

I owned a 1999 LS400 for a while also and with that car I was able to get about 27 MPG on the highway .....

remember ..... in your Camry you did not need to run Premium Grade Fuel, but in a Lexus LS you do. Yes ..... it is not that your LS will not run on regular grade fuel .... but the requirement is for Premium Grade Gas.

I agree, winter fuel sucks. I ran premium in my Camry for a long time and then switched to plus....by mistake. I don't know why you have to say what you want 3 times to the gas station attendant for them to get it right but that what it takes. She put a full tank of plus in by mistake, tha car didn't ping, float, or blow....so I ran plus every other tank until I fried the motor with no problems. I guess it will be premium for the Lex.

i just took a 500 mile trip. Stuck in bad traffic, hills, overtaking, speeds ranging from 55-85 and cruise on sometimes, i averaged 25 mpg. In mixed driving i get about 20.

I have averaged 29 in a 94 ls400. No Ac and top speed of 60 mph with no traffic and coasting to stops to keep momentum.

1997 LS400 150k miles. Frequent 400 mile interstate trips 80 mph 25-26 mpg.

How is the MPG for the LS 430? I'm seriously zeroing in on an 01 or 02 430 since my last botched attempt at buying a LS400 on Fleabay.

How is the MPG for the LS 430? I'm seriously zeroing in on an 01 or 02 430 since my last botched attempt at buying a LS400 on Fleabay.

I average somewhere between 17-19 highway/city driving. This car does get decent mileage when driven casually. The day I bought it, I drove it from Boston to Indianapolis. I got 450 miles on less than one tank, and probably could've gone further to almost 500, which means that highway was around 26-27 mpg highway. Don't be panicky about gas. The bottom line is cost of ownership, which the Lexus shines at. gas may be expensive but your repair bill is NOT. Gas prices are higher these days because of the constant speculation.

I average somewhere between 17-19 highway/city driving. This car does get decent mileage when driven casually. The day I bought it, I drove it from Boston to Indianapolis. I got 450 miles on less than one tank, and probably could've gone further to almost 500, which means that highway was around 26-27 mpg highway. Don't be panicky about gas. The bottom line is cost of ownership, which the Lexus shines at. gas may be expensive but your repair bill is NOT. Gas prices are higher these days because of the constant speculation.

Your sig says "LS400." So is this MPG for a LS400 or LS430? I"d really like to know if the LS 430 gets better or worse MPG than the LS400. I know this may by asking alot for an extra .3 litre engine but I thought Lexus improved aerodynamics and efficiency of the engine.

I just got 21.3 mpg on my first tank of gas in my 95 model with 65k miles, moderately conservative driving (this car just is so rewarding and relaxing to drive smoothly). I used chevron mid grade (89) but I will probably switch over to premium (93) soon to see if I get any performance boost. The car does not usually go screaming fast when I floor it, like I would expect. I think I am getting better acceleration in my 97 altima. I have only floored it a couple of times though. I changed my trans fluid (drain and fill 2 qts) yesterday and the old stuff that came out of there was dark brown / orange. I am going to do another change in a week or so to get even more of the old stuff out of there. I floored it once today and it seemed to do a little better, and the shifting was smoother.

You might need to start a LS 430 gas mileage post if that is what you want.

OK. Hello to everyone. First post. Really want to pull the trigger on a used LS 400...first or 2nd gen. My beloved Camry of 16 years has a fried motor at only 152K. I can drop a JDM motor/tranny in it for less than 1k but that's if I do the work myself. But with gas approaching record prices I really need to know what MPG I can expect from an LS 400. My camry

Crusty-- I have a 99 ls400 that I have documented proof of driving 552 miles out of one tank of gas.. that equates to 28.8 mpg. Average city is 22. There is no car on the planet with any size v8 that can get these numbers FULLY LOADED! Incidently we have reluctantly decided to sell the ls. thought you may be interested. JUST did new timing belt, new water pump, new toyota long life coolant---- ALL for preventative maintenance. New Michelin tires, recent brakes. THE CAR STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL LEXUS 1999 BATTERY. can you believe THAT????????????????????????????????????????????? Contact me for any other info.

• 3 years later...

I understand your delima, and the fact that some of the figures you've heard seem hard to believe. I can assure you they are accurate. I bought my 1996 LS, 20 months ago with 82K on the odometer. I have done a few road trips at different times of the year, including a D.C. to Miami last fall. With the cruise set at 76-78mph, and the A/C on, I get an eerily consistant 27.33 mpg.* The vehicle is, without doubt, an outstanding used car value in it's segment. I now have 102k, and have only paid for oil and tires(all four wore down completely evenly). I am very happy with this vehicle.

*Keep in mind it does require premium fuel.

This is my first tank in my ~250k 90 LS400, 22mpg mixed highway/city with a good amount of lead footing. Judging by the shape of the timing belt (new one en route) i'd say everything maintenance wise is original on this car.

In January I wrote:

I have just done a trip of over 1000 kilometres, or 600 miles, in my '99 LS400. The roads were what we call Main Hiway, with some Motorway, or Freeway. Most of the roads are course chip seal, which are noisier and have more drag, than concrete or machine-laid asphalt. My overall fuel consumption was 8.1 litres/100km, 34.87 imperial mpg, 29.04 US mpg. That included quite a bit of air conditioning on the first day. The last 200 km, 120 miles, I used 7.6 litres/100km, 37.17 imp mpg, 30.95 US mpg. Most of the time, air temperature was 24 to 26 degrees C, 75 to 79 F. Most of the time I was cruising at about 95 km/h, 60 mph. It did also include some city type driving, and some steep hills. I reckon this is pretty good, for a heavy car with a V8. Cheers, Keith.

*Keep in mind it does require premium fuel.

It also burns regular. I haven't filled up with premium in 3 years now on both of my cars (Lexus, Lincoln, both V8's). Last time I checked the engine was still under the hood in each of them.