Need Tire Help Asap!

Hey guys I got a flat tire 2 days ago on my 2007 Lexus IS 250 and have been driving on my donut tire for the past 2 days. Im trying to decide what the best option is since it's a All Wheel Drive. the tire brand is Bridgestone Potenza Re92 and size is 225/45R17 amd width is 91V. I've been told that Bridgestone isnt the best brand of tire for this car. and if i go to Sears auto shop to get the donut tire replaced with the Michelin brand tire then i would have to get all 4 tires replaced.. no choice in the matter. So i went to Firestone where they have the Bridgestone tires and they're willing to replace just one tire with a new one (it comes out to like 170 bucks total after labor and tax). What should i do? Is that the best option? Please provide any suggestions

Hey guys I got a flat tire 2 days ago on my 2007 Lexus IS 250 and have been driving on my donut tire for the past 2 days. Im trying to decide what the best option is since it's a All Wheel Drive. the tire brand is Bridgestone Potenza Re92 and size is 225/45R17 amd width is 91V. I've been told that Bridgestone isnt the best brand of tire for this car. and if i go to Sears auto shop to get the donut tire replaced with the Michelin brand tire then i would have to get all 4 tires replaced.. no choice in the matter. So i went to Firestone where they have the Bridgestone tires and they're willing to replace just one tire with a new one (it comes out to like 170 bucks total after labor and tax). What should i do? Is that the best option? Please provide any suggestions

Lexus also produces the car with a Dunlop tire. That is what I have on mine. Not sure why you would need to replace four in any case. Could just change out two as Michelin (the front two - should be the brand new tires) How much milaege do you have on your tires? $170 is not bad. Sears quoted me $190 for the Dunlops.

Depending how hard you drive the car, or what emergency manoeuver you might have to do, mixing brands F and R could negatively affect handling. If all your tires are <50% worn, I would just replace the one Bridgestone . If wear is over 80%, no question put whatever you like on all 4, probably Michelin. In between 50% and 80%, it's your wallet and peace of mind.

i have about 16000 miles in my car. and the tires are less than 50% worn out. im still confused. i could get that one tire replaced.. it wont exactly be the same type but it will still be bridgestone. i wanted michelin tires but then i would have to replace all 4.

I hate to say it.....but the Bridgestone RE92's are horrible tires on anything but dry pavement (that's coming from quite a bit of experience with this tire).

Panny, what are you looking for in a replacement high performance tire? Based on what you tell me, I can better recommend an excellent replacement. :)

:cheers:

I hate to say it.....but the Bridgestone RE92's are horrible tires on anything but dry pavement (that's coming from quite a bit of experience with this tire).

Panny, what are you looking for in a replacement high performance tire? Based on what you tell me, I can better recommend an excellent replacement. :)

hey yea i heard bridgestone tires are horrible too. this is the reason im confused as what to do. if i get a different brand i will have to get all 4 tires replaced since it's all wheel drive and the auto shop people dont let you walk out without getting all 4 replaced. i just want whatever tire is best for an all season performance. just an overall best tire for this car...

hey yea i heard bridgestone tires are horrible too. this is the reason im confused as what to do. if i get a different brand i will have to get all 4 tires replaced since it's all wheel drive and the auto shop people dont let you walk out without getting all 4 replaced. i just want whatever tire is best for an all season performance. just an overall best tire for this car...

My suggestion is to replace all 4 tires panny. This would definately be on my shortlist as this will compliment your AWD system quite well...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=5

You can also check out some test results here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTe...um%3D245HR7EXAS

And here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=60

My suggestion is to replace all 4 tires panny. This would definately be on my shortlist as this will compliment your AWD system quite well...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=5

You can also check out some test results here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTe...um%3D245HR7EXAS

And here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=60

thank you so much for all the information! i knew michelin tires were the best! but it would be really really expensive if i got all 4 replaced with the michelin exalto ones. Is it ok if i got one Bridgestone RE950 even though rest of em are bridgestone Re92?

thank you so much for all the information! i knew michelin tires were the best! but it would be really really expensive if i got all 4 replaced with the michelin exalto ones. Is it ok if i got one Bridgestone RE950 even though rest of em are bridgestone Re92?

I would not advise doing that. At the very least buy them in pairs, regardless of the tire you buy. I know they are expensive, but you will notice a huge improvement. Maybe buy 2 of the Michelins now & two more in the near future. Just don't have 3 of the same & 1 different.....your asking for trouble that way.

I think you should replace at least two tires so you have identical tires on the same axle.

You have 50% tire wear now, but that second 50% will wear out much faster than the first 50% did. Tires wear faster as they wear down.

I would not advise doing that. At the very least buy them in pairs, regardless of the tire you buy. I know they are expensive, but you will notice a huge improvement. Maybe buy 2 of the Michelins now & two more in the near future. Just don't have 3 of the same & 1 different.....your asking for trouble that way.

yea even if i wanted to get the 2 michellins on the same side (on the front) i wouldnt be able to cuz they dont allow it. they told me it's either all 4 or nothing. so i can try getting 2 bridgestone RE950s for the front... dammit i dont know what to do.

If you don't replace all four tires then you run a serious risk of damaging your vehicles transfer case or other expensive driveline parts. Last year one of my sister stores on the other side of town caved to a customers request that they replace only the one bad tire even though the vehicle in question was AWD and the guys at the shop knew better and told the customer as much. They guy wanted what he wanted (customer is always right) and they gave in.

Within 45 minutes the vehicle came back on a hook with a blown transfer case and the owner sued the shop for damages - case still pending. There have been dozens of other lawsuits around the country for similar circumstances.

At my shop if there is less than 20% wear on the tires we will replace only 1 or 2 on most AWD vehicles but only with identical matching tires. More than 20% and we will only replace as complete sets of 4 on most makes/models or let the customer drive off to some other shop without ethics. I'd rather lose the business than take the chance.

Of course, you should always consult the vehicle manufacturer to be certain. Not all have the same recommendations. This is Subaru's for example:

"For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time.

WARNING: All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, degree of wear, speed symbol, load index and size. Mixing tires of different types, sizes or degrees of wear can result in damage to the vehicle's power train."

http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcaretips...

* 3 months ago

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...03155716AAO83bV

For starters the size must be 225/45VR17 not just R.

I am taking the contrarian position.

The tire is not the best but it has given you a good service so far.

I would buy the one Firestone is offering, if it is exactly the same. The price is unbeatable as Tire Rack has the real right tire at $205

or $175 for an even better one...see below.

I will not change tires until you need 4 new ones and I will buy the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, not just any Michelin!!!

Anything else is a big waste of money, but it is your money.

I would do what I am recommending...

215/45ZR17 Blackwall Subaru Price: $175.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:In Stock Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $21.00 per tire

225/45VR17 Blackwall Serv. Desc: 91V Price: $206.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: 04/03/08 Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $24.72 per tire

michelin pilots and goodyear f1 are great tires. I just got a set of goodyears and they are awsome. Go to tirerack.com to ge the best deals

I still would not change just one tire.....not on an AWD model.

Why not? It is just an IS250, not an Sti or an RS4... :P

Based on that when my IS350 had a non-fixable rear flat after 5K miles I should have bought two rear tires...

no way Jose! One tire was enough...and it already hurt a lot... the dealer charged me $350...ughh!

Based on that when my IS350 had a non-fixable rear flat after 5K miles I should have bought two rear tires...

no way Jose! One tire was enough...and it already hurt a lot... the dealer charged me $350...ughh!

Because of the possibility of damaging the AWD system......read the owners manual. :rolleyes: And why would you buy tires at the dealership?

I still would not change just one tire.....not on an AWD model.

No because your IS350 is not AWD. Besides that this has all been explained in previous posts.

Going thru this with my car - I damaged a sidewall on one tire... the pressure is good but I am concerned about the integrity of the tire and don't need a blow since I drive 3000 miles a month. Chief Tech at Local Lexus says I can replace two tires (with Dunlop to match existing) not all four. The Mechanics of the AWD on the Lexus is different then the Subaru quoted above. Surprisingly the price is within $20 of Sears and they give me a loaner. My car has 20,000 highway miles with surprisingly very little wear on the thread.

Going thru this with my car - I damaged a sidewall on one tire... the pressure is good but I am concerned about the integrity of the tire and don't need a blow since I drive 3000 miles a month. Chief Tech at Local Lexus says I can replace two tires (with Dunlop to match existing) not all four. The Mechanics of the AWD on the Lexus is different then the Subaru quoted above. Surprisingly the price is within $20 of Sears and they give me a loaner. My car has 20,000 highway miles with surprisingly very little wear on the thread.

I agree the mechanics of the AWD systems on the Subi & IS are different.......the bottom line is to still replace a minimum of 2 tires regardless.