Any Danger To This? :(

jcrome04

I'm all about symmetry with my vehicles lighting, I hate it when headlights are missaligned, one bulb is darker or brighter than another, etc.... plus anyways...symmetry is beauty right? lol

So I'm backing up to the garage door, that's all glass windows, at my shop the other day and notice one of the bulbs in my 3rd brake light is darker than the other and putting off a slightly different pattern to the light (ie, dark spots etc..) So I'm upset that I haven't noticed this earlier and crawl into the backseat to pop out the housing. I pull the bulbs out....and there is a BIG BLACK BUBBLE in the glass of one of the bulbs??? Is there any danger to this if left unnoticed? Why did this happen? It was the right bulb, (921 18W I think.. :huh: ) so it seems like it shouldn't get so hot it'd bubble up like that.

Just wanted to bring this up just incase it might cause a problem for anyone sometime down the road. Here's a picture of the old bulbs.

0303081034.jpg

I'm all about symmetry with my vehicles lighting, I hate it when headlights are missaligned, one bulb is darker or brighter than another, etc.... plus anyways...symmetry is beauty right? lol

So I'm backing up to the garage door, that's all glass windows, at my shop the other day and notice one of the bulbs in my 3rd brake light is darker than the other and putting off a slightly different pattern to the light (ie, dark spots etc..) So I'm upset that I haven't noticed this earlier and crawl into the backseat to pop out the housing. I pull the bulbs out....and there is a BIG BLACK BUBBLE in the glass of one of the bulbs??? Is there any danger to this if left unnoticed? Why did this happen? It was the right bulb, (921 18W I think.. :huh: ) so it seems like it shouldn't get so hot it'd bubble up like that.

Just wanted to bring this up just incase it might cause a problem for anyone sometime down the road. Here's a picture of the old bulbs.

0303081034.jpg

SOP...

Normal ocurrance.

Not unusual when the filament burns open and then due to vibration what's left happens to momentarily make electical contact.....FLASH...!!

18 watt bulb becomes a 50-200 watt bulb for a brief instant...VERY brief.