Disabling Day Running Light

I do the cheap-o way to disable them and just run parking lights sometimes (97 ES300): Before turning the key, turn on the parking lights. Then push the parking brake until it JUST BARELY makes it to the first 'click'. Then turn the car on. If I get it just right, the red "BRAKE" light doesn't turn on in the dash. Any farther and it would. And the parking brake cable itself doesn't actually make the pad touch the rotor until about the 3rd 'click'.

I don't feel like messing with fuses and wires and junk, I can live with the Jerry-rigged system.

:( Hi guys, I need help with this. I want to disable the day running lights on my wife car, Lexus es 300 1999. Can anyone help me. Thanks a lot for your help.

And with any luck at all you'll never have anyone sue you for hitting you headon due to poor visibility at or near dusk, just before sunrise or on a dark cloudy day.

If you feel you MUST be in control then wire the DRLs into the street/parking/tail lamps for FULL protection.

I do the cheap-o way to disable them and just run parking lights sometimes (97 ES300): Before turning the key, turn on the parking lights. Then push the parking brake until it JUST BARELY makes it to the first 'click'. Then turn the car on. If I get it just right, the red "BRAKE" light doesn't turn on in the dash. Any farther and it would. And the parking brake cable itself doesn't actually make the pad touch the rotor until about the 3rd 'click'.

I don't feel like messing with fuses and wires and junk, I can live with the Jerry-rigged system.

I would be VERY surprised if the E-brake switch that turns on the brake icon isn't the same one that disables the DRLs.

Penny-pinchers and beancounters abound within the automotive manufacturing industry.

And even if you have two switches there is the issue of the car-to-car randomness of which switch "switches" first....

And with any luck at all you'll never have anyone sue you for hitting you headon due to poor visibility at or near dusk, just before sunrise or on a dark cloudy day.

kind of a odd posts since there are millions of cars WITHOUT DRL's..... I say, it is your car and do what you wish.

• 1 month later...

If you feel you MUST be in control then wire the DRLs into the street/parking/tail lamps for FULL protection.

That doesn't make any sense. DRLs are not DOT required in the United States, many cars do not have DRLs, and many cars have DRL off switches including the Lexus ES from 02+.

• 2 weeks later...
:( Hi guys, I need help with this. I want to disable the day running lights on my wife car, Lexus es 300 1999. Can anyone help me. Thanks a lot for your help.

I would think that most people are able to remember to turn their lights on when it starts to get dark. DRLs make you look like some loser that forgot to turn his lights off in broad daylight, or that you turned you lights on instead of your blinker. There is absolutely no data that indicates DRLs decrease the possibility of an accident. Besides, if someone hits YOU "headon", it's them that will get sued.

I would think that most people are able to remember to turn their lights on when it starts to get dark. DRLs make you look like some loser that forgot to turn his lights off in broad daylight, or that you turned you lights on instead of your blinker. There is absolutely no data that indicates DRLs decrease the possibility of an accident. Besides, if someone hits YOU "headon", it's them that will get sued.

"...it's them that will get sued....

Only provided someone in your car survives.

• 8 months later...

Don't you think the engineers at Lexus had it figured out already? DRL is for increasing the viability of you car for other motorist and pedestrians even in the day time. Why do you think it is mandatory for motorcycles to have their headlights on all the time? So the motorcyclist will not become a part of your front grill any time soon.

Keep one rule in life. If you must change something, make sure it you will gain something in return. Otherwise, why mess with it?