1992 Sc 400

Hello. I am about to purchase a 92 sc400 with appx. 53000 miles. Mint condition, one owner. All records. Person used it as an in-town car when they came to visit every so often. I am buying it from a Lexus dealer, and they have reassured me with the condition it is in, its a great deal. I am paying ~ $8000 for the car. Has all options. The dealer did state that the car has a slight pull to the right when the brakes are applied with hard force. It seems to be a bushing/suspension issue. Nothing else. But I guess I wont know till it comes into my hands. (getting it shipped cross country.. :wacko:

My biggest concerns are:

What do you guys have suggestions on as far as:

What I should really look for in reagrds to abuse or items that may need my immediate attention?

Any structure, electornic, or seals, hoses, sensors, etc I should worry about?

And other advice and reccommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You may want to ask if there's any leak around the power steering pump or if it has been replaced in the record. When I bought my used car, the previous owner had to replace the ps pump along with the alternator.

Are the tires wear evenly, if not, it could need alignment or some suspension fix.

Thi

$8000 for a 1992 SC400 that has a suspension or brake/tire problem is too much. It is high even if it is perfect in today's market. Recently a 1999 SC400 with 24,000mi was listed for $12,900 but sold to someone in the lexus dealership for the trade in price of a bit over $10,000. (I have my sources). I suspect the lexus dealer paid $3-4,000 for the 1992 car you are looking at. It has the old R12 refridgerant and if it leaks out it will be expensive to convert. It also has only 1 air bag if memory serves me correctly. If fixed an appropriate price would be 1 to 2 thousand less IMHO. If the brake caliper is binding or if it needs new rotors or suspension parts lexus should be able to fix it cheaply at their cost. Why sell it if it has a problem? Can't they fix it?

Hello. I am about to purchase a 92 sc400 with appx. 53000 miles. Mint condition, one owner. All records. Person used it as an in-town car when they came to visit every so often. I am buying it from a Lexus dealer, and they have reassured me with the condition it is in, its a great deal. I am paying ~ $8000 for the car. Has all options. The dealer did state that the car has a slight pull to the right when the brakes are applied with hard force. It seems to be a bushing/suspension issue. Nothing else. But I guess I wont know till it comes into my hands. (getting it shipped cross country.. :wacko:

My biggest concerns are:

What do you guys have suggestions on as far as:

What I should really look for in reagrds to abuse or items that may need my immediate attention?

Any structure, electornic, or seals, hoses, sensors, etc I should worry about?

And other advice and reccommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I agree with others - kinda high $. I paid 6000 for a 95 but 105000 miles. Mint. In addition to fuel pump/alternator watch out for foggy headlamps, dark dash lights (speedometer/tach/fuel).

• 1 month later...